ST have a thread on Gomez racing Kona in 2018.
In an interview with a Spanish newspaper yesterday Gomez talks about his plans for racing Kona in 2018.
This is Googles translation.
-As Nadal and Federer, you stand as an old rocker for another year at the top.
-I was really looking forward to this year after losing the Rio Games due to a complicated elbow injury. The results were very good in distance Olympic and medium distance and now I decide to focus on the long. Although it is usually not easy to return to the Olympics because of the type of training you do, I do not rule it out either.
-What image does he rescue from 2017?
-The last 500 meters of the Chattanooga World Cup ... Down the last hill, to know that I was already winning ... It fulfilled my great goal. And I'm staying with the premiere of the Olympic distance World Cup in Abu Dhabi because it was hard to come back winning. It left me more relaxed for the rest of the year.
-As it tends to link medal after medal, I do not know if at some point it has had to explain itself, as if the general public did not perceive its great campaign.
-As there were some ups and downs, some people ask you if this year has not gone so well, "Mario Mola has won you in the end". But there I was runner-up in the world and that is not bad, much less, although I focused on middle distance, and I won that World Cup. Some people still ask me if I have recovered well from the injury (laughs). It is normal for some to follow your sport more than others.
-David Cal in some messages "consoled" by his two silvers in Beijing.
-Yes, you almost give your condolences for an Olympic silver.
-For the ironman, do you learn from your mid-distance tests?
-It's very different. In the ironman nutrition and hydration in a race in an extreme climate like Hawaii will be key to, regardless of the rhythms, the bike watts ... I am able to face that, train and do it well, but feeding in the race it is something newer for me. And it will be key.
- See the middle distance more similar to the Olympic than the ironman.
-I won my first world championship of half ironman taking only two gels throughout the race. I arrived just, but it's three hours and 40 races, more manageable, and because of the rhythms it goes fast. If you go to eight hours, it is not twice as far, it seems much more.
For the first time he faces something radically different.
-It's exciting to face a different challenge, a kind of career in which I do not know if I'm going to do it right. The comfortable and conservative would have been to remain the same, but I do not want to be left with the doubt of what I would have done in the long distance.
-From the three sectors, by time and distance, the bicycle is the main challenge.
- Yes, it is where I have to improve, in the way of training, in many things. We'll see how far I get. But if I want to win a level ironman, I have to win it in the marathon . Other big ones would win on the bike, but I have to do it running, be good enough on a bike and swim, to get on foot with options. That's the kind of race for which I'm going to train.
- Just named swimming , his DNA since childhood.
-It is more anecdotal and in my case I think I will be able to suppress some training a week to pass it to the bike and the race. The way of training will be very different. In an ironman runs slowly. With rhythms of 3.40 you will do the best time in the marathon, but it is about doing it after five hours of effort, feeding yourself while you compete. There I should try to improve, work long sessions at less pace than now.
-The ironman requires adaptation. But know that the demand will be high from the first day.
-I have no doubt that people will demand me to win Hawaii at first, but it is something that nobody has done (laughs). All the winners of Hawaii before winning that race have a baggage. with victories and important podiums, and I in the best case I will arrive with an ironman behind my back. The challenge is more complicated than many people think. The ironman is very unknown, but that gives me an extra incentive.
-The vertigo is there.
-Yes. A feeling of uneasiness about not knowing what you are facing or how you are going to respond. I will be happy to do it regardless of the result. If I get it wrong, I'll know that the distance is not for me, and if I get it right I will expand my capacity range to longer distances.
«The ideal would be to debut between June and July»
Almost as important as Kona's ironman, on October 13, will be his qualifying test: "Ideally, between June and the beginning of July. There are Nice and Frankfurt, there is Cairns ( Australia ), which could be interesting for Hawaii ... ".
-In 2016 it competed almost for 11 months. It will be strange to run less, except shooting tests.
- I will move less to train in a place, but I will not have a quiet season until Hawaii. I will do several 70.3 in preparation, including that World Cup, and many tests like training, maybe some Olympic distance.
-He keeps his usual team, with Carlos David Prieto as coach.
-Follow Carlos. And the triathlete Óscar Vicente will be with me, who is a physiotherapist and will help me in recovery, strengthening and training.
-For a year and a half of his elbow fracture.
- Luisa [Ibáñez, the traumatologist,] operated on me, did a great job and made it clear to me, but it was a complicated process. In three or four weeks the elbow you have it more or less well, but to make normal life or work in an office. If you demand elbow every day on the bike, in water and even running ... it takes longer and you have to do a very good rehabilitation to gain all the mobility and strength. I had trouble enough time.
-Along victories, what was the emotional moment of 2017?
- (thinks) It was when, after the operation, I started swimming at the rhythms of before. My left arm had always been the dominant one, and I could feel it without so much strength, it was difficult for me to stretch it and grab the water as I did. And I took time to find the good feelings. Then, when I did the times before the operation, that gave me peace of mind. And to win in January the 70.3 of Dubai in an unfavorable circuit for me, almost the most difficult, it was a very nice moment.