I’ll repeat what IMO I think ‘the system’ should be:
1. postpone Kona world champs by 1 month and make it a genuine end of year finale.
2. Pay down to 20th finisher (to encourage those pros on the verge of top 10 to turn up, instead of aiming for some pocketmoney at a third rate race elsewhere). $1 million minimum prize purse.
3. Top 10 finishers in Kona also win their spot for next year.
4. Top 5 finishers at regional champs qualify for Kona (6 regional champs; therefore another 30 slots).
5. Last 10 slots are picked by the old KPR system - so those athletes on the cusp will still race at 2nd tier races like Port, Busso, NZ etc.
6. Also use the points system to create a bonus prize pool to be paid out after Kona.