Jump to content


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation since 15/11/18 in Posts

  1. 25 points
    A few of you know my cousin Gab. Just over 10 years ago she was training for IM when she was hit by a car and suffered terrible injuries. She was in a coma for a couple of weeks. The road to recovery over the first five years were quite hard. She has had multiple operations and suffers a bit of internal problems, not to mention the external. At no stage did she ever complain and ask "why me ?". She just worked extremely hard (and still does). She taught herself how to paint left handed and got also back on the bike - now a three wheeler. She has done a few Kurnells, sometimes running with a walking pole. She also swims with the Shark Island crew at North Cronulla. She has won a number of Para medals in cycling. I finished with her at the Sydney to Gong ride this year. Well yet again, she has competed in the T1 classification at Buninyong VIC and won Gold. The gold medal is great but her spirit and smile is absolute gold. So proud. FM PS: forgot to say, she also won a national title
  2. 25 points
    Value for money. 16:49:40
  3. 23 points
    Bit of a race recap History: this was my fifth Ironman to be fourth finish after a dnf in Cairns on my second crack. I'm notorious for swimming well blowing up on the bike and walking home. I was deployed to PNG for work in May and needed a reason to keep training whilst away. Busselton it was! 6 months of exclusively training riding very limited running outside due to safety and a swimming pool to myself. Race day, I can swim. I cruised the swim and was first overall Ag and 7th overall. 51 and change. Bike: here comes the test can I stick to the plan and control myself. I had a target of 220w for the ride. I rode the ride as 6x30km segments with the idea of settling and building. I split 210w,213,218,225,226,223 Rode 5:02 or 03 can't remember. Got off the bike 2nd in my Ag. Here comes the fun part the run. I had a target pace of 4:40 for the first 22ish km I hit this almost perfectly. Then suddenly I started cramping in my hammies had a couple of km run/walk/stretching it out. I started to load up on salt which may have been too late. I battled for a little bit until I hit my darkest moment my stomach started cramping and my lower back seizing/tightening. A few very dark kms some brutal words to myself and almost a few years later I was back hobbling along. Limped home to a 3:40. 4 slots and I got 6th, for me this isn't about Kona it's about challenging myself and seeing that I can be one of those super fit guys. My goal has always been to qualify ooutright and the goal lives on! However it's not everyday you get the opportunity to go Kona and when the slots rolled to 7th I had to say yes.
  4. 20 points
    New disc wheel arrived last week and after much faffing and realising I didn't have the right bits (obviously I needed to order a tyre as well as the cassette!) I eventually got round to getting it all sorted yesterday. Getting the tyre on was a NIGHTMARE took me a long time but eventually all was well. Took it out for a spin this morning and I was skidding all over the place. The grip was appalling. I thought is this just what a disc feels like? Or is it something to do with the new carbon brake blocks? Then I had a look at the tyre and it was already shredding! Time to head to the LBS... on arrival I explained the concern and asked if they could get their mechanics to have a look at it... one of the chaps who was overhearing took a glance at the wheel and asked "Install it yourself mate?", "Yep" said I "And it took me hours, getting the tyre on was a nightmare." "Well, that would be because it's inside out..." Oh if the ground could have swallowed me!
  5. 20 points
    I'm back...quick race summary.. Overbike and paid for it on the run. I really worked hard on the run to hold it together somewhat causr it could have got real ugly... Still lots of positives to come away from the race and Jarrod Owen is an absolute gun! Stoked to pull this off after parting ways with the coach a few months back and it's been a really positive experience to get myself back on track. No kona spot. Money not a factor. My first child is due in May. I want to remember that. Doing kona will ruin that experience and that's where my focus will go after port. Had so much fun sharing the day with with other tranies and passed Sam just before the finish. He looked really good.
  6. 18 points
    I think I am probably the oldest regular poster on this site who is still competing, for me the "secret" if there is one is to mix with younger people, still do what you enjoy doing, stick with people you can laugh a lot with. I have worked with a bunch of miserable old pricks when I was in my early twenties, and I can tell you misery is contagious. I think I needed to work with them to learn that lesson early in life. Since moving on from there I have always employed fun people, surrounded myself with fun people, people who enjoy life. As far as peerformance goes I accept that I no longer finish an Ironman in the daylight, on average I have lost 7min per year in my Ironman time over the past 20yrs. I believe staying healthy is heavily dependant on the company you keep, the diet you consume, and doing some exercise every day. The exercise has to be fun, you have to enjoy what you do. Accept that your goals and interests will change, but again they're influenced by the company you keep. Humans are basically pack animals, choose your tribe carefully 😏
  7. 16 points
    Too little training and too many injuries conspired for a long, tough day. I always knew it was going to be a grind. I hesitated to enter for quite a while, not knowing how my body would hold up. Though from the moment I arrived in Port, I knew it was where I wanted to be on the first weekend in May. The swim was painful throughout due to a shoulder injury, and the bike looked ugly from the start. The headwind blowing as I exited town was the strongest I remember on the first lap at Port. There's a flag on top of a unit block coming out of Flynn's that is usually fairly limp as you leave town. Not so this year, it was already billowing. There's little I can say about the cycle or run. They were both foreseeably uncomfortable cases of just sucking it up and gutting it out. There was perhaps one notable moment as I approached Matthews Flinders, to have Cam Wurf lap me and magically levitate up the hill. At that moment, I knew I was exceedingly unlikely to reel him in on the run. Though the day's undoubted highlights came thick and fast with a finishline kiss and hug from Diane, slumping into a wheelchair and then drifting into unconsciousness in the warmth of the medical tent. I think it was my slowest swim and slowest cycle at Ironman Aust, and my slowest run since 1999 when a stress fracture limited me to walking the entire marathon. Also my first finish over 15 hours. If any of those stats are incorrect, it's because I've fortuitously forgotten some truly unpleasant past experience. I'm very disappointed that Dave Ross DNFed. Seeing him on the run, I thought he was good for a finish having missed the bike cut-off last year. For those of us who have been around for a while, I doubt few of stop because we no longer feel like being there, rather we stop because the body won't let us continue. And we all lose another thread of the shared experience and camaraderie that has developed over the years. I do hope Dave returns next year. Conversely, it was wonderful for Leon and Peter V to earn their Immor(t)al plaques, as it was to share the peculiarly celebratory and joyous atmosphere of our corner of transition on Sunday morning.
  8. 16 points
    So just finished by 100 days of running. Not injured. Lost 5kg. Running faster than before I started. Didn’t get bored. Longest run streak before that was 8 days. The numbers: 98 runs were 5km+ 1 x 3km Run (had to catch a plane that day) 1 x 4km Run longest run 18km total distance 692km
  9. 15 points
    Quick report. 1st Kona, via the legacy program. I would love to think I can qualify via the normal process, however nutritional problems plague the back end of any endurance event - ending in vomiting whether it be IM or long rides. I spent a number of sessions with Monash Uni having gut tests and sweat tests and we set about a program to resolve the problem over the 6 months leading into Kona. Signed up with TriTravel to do the conditioning tour and had an absolute blast and the whole experience lived up to all the expectations. Had some long sessions on the bike riding up Hawi and back to town and got to experience the brutality of the winds and associated heat challenges. On this pre-race day ride the wind was ferocious but doable and according to the pro's on Strava indicated that it was a really bad day. Also did a long run from the run turn around in town all the way out the energy lab, so got to see the entire length of the course which ended up proving to be really valuable come race day. The race week lead in was awesome, getting to meet so many greats of the sport (Dave, Marc, Paula, Michellie, Cam Wurf etc....) and the functions for the Aussie/NZ team as well as a special nibbles and drink for the Legacy athletes. Spent a night doing the Manta ray dive and a day driving the island, eating portugese donuts, visit to the volcano, which was a nice break from all the race prep. Race day Being the 1st year of the swim waves, meant a very low stress, post check in, got to spend time back in our hotel (Kona Seaside) and watch the earlier wave starts (my start was the last and was 1:05 after the male pro's headed out. Got to watch the male pro's exit the water before being bundled down the steps into the water to begin the short swim out to the start line. Whilst I thought there was only going to be 100 legacy athletes in the wave it was much larger and looks like we had just short of 300 athletes starting in this wave. I started on the right hand side and was quite stunned to see people take off at break neck speed. Swim is my best leg and had decided to find some feet and just sit in and enjoy the drag. It was quite a slow pace and tried a few times to go past the feet I was on, only to find that the 2 sets of feet I was following didn't want me to go, so I just dropped back in behind them. Wasn't long before we were passing the back end of the last of the ladies and the fun of trying to find a good line through the swarm of people. Got a kick from a female that set my watch to transition mode, so from that point on had no idea of the pace. Arrived back on shore in 1:05:30 which was the end of the range that I expected. I normally swim around the 55-58 mins and this had been cruisey. On to the bike and its taken me a few years to learn to ride at a consistent pace and avoid surging and not being able to bring the back end of the ride home. Just prior to heading over to Kona my PM died and I had to switch to one off the roadie and knowing they are not the same numbers, we decided on a range (20min FTP test in the week before going over and an hour FTP test on the Queen K 1 week pre-race), so we had a new number to work with and a range. Dave Scott had mentioned a few times that the race doesn't start until the 160km mark of the bike and the 30km mark of the run, so I just settled into a nice comfortable power and focussed on nutrition and ensuring I managed the heat. The ride out of Kona is slightly uphill before you drop down into Kawaihei, and start the climb to Hawi. Thoroughly enjoyed this section and got to see my wife and daughter at around the 45km mark (TriTravel take them on a bus out to see us), and was amazed at how much effort people were putting into the ride. Before turning the corner we got to see the male pro's returning and it was clear that they were flying, but the back few bikes in the lead pack were definitely pushing the draft zone. The crosswinds across to the base of the climb were strong and then the head wind up the climb. got to the turnaround, picked up the special needs drink nutrition and started the decent. The winds were certainly up, but not quite as bad as our training ride, but still there were a few people that had come off. Took the right hand turn back onto the Queen K and decided it was time to start picking up the pace, and really enjoyed the trip back into town, passing so many people that had pushed to hard earlier. Managed to put away 8 bottles of fluid plus my 4 bidons, (1.6l litres per hour) so I was confident that my nutrition was on track according to my tests and trials. Ride time was a very comfortable 5:21:34 and keeping a 13watt differential between AVG pwr and NP (I was planning on this only being around 5, but there was a number of surges down during the day to keep out of draft zones.) Onto the run and prove the litmus test for the nutrition and up Palani on to Kukini waving to the family before settling into my race rhythm. Had the pleasure of being passed by Jan as he turned the corner (he at km 41 me at km 1), I gave him a pat on the back and he was gone. Checking my race pace it was still a little quick (my aim was for around the 6min km) so I started to ease back and then got to see iFoz cheering everyone on outside the Royal Kona. At the far turnaround I was passed by John Hill and watched him run off, as I continued to find my speed and get used to the heat. Ran back past iFoz, then my family and walked up Palani to the Queen Q and started the section out to the energy lab. Around km 15 I could feel my gut starting to misbehave, and had to slow up and ease some burps out, and realised over the next few km, that some walking was going to be required. Not long after this caught up to Ken Glah who was competing in his 36 Kona, and after a short chat I ran off feeling a little more upbeat. Not to much further on I ran past John again, his day was done and would be walking it home. Down into the energy lab, by this stage the sun had gone behind the clouds and the sting of the heat had disappeared, walked a portion of the flat section and the uphill out of the energy lab, Saw a few friends on the return out and wondered how long it would be before the ran past me, but somehow I managed to find some more walk / run on the way back into town and they didn't catch me. Walked the final hill up to Palani thinking about the iron war on this very section, and then ran down the hill, into town and across the finish line. Somehow managed to keep from throwing up but went straight into medical tent and received 2 drips (I had lost 4.5kg). This was the 1st race that I had manged to keep from throwing up in and keep taking on fluid throughout the run. Albeit I only managed to ingest 1 cliff chew bar, 2 cups of gatorade, the rest was just water for the entire run leg. This was not what my nutrition plan was, but it was ll I could do on the day. Run time was 4:50 which was a little off target but the best I could do on the day. (Dream was 3:50, with 4:15 being more realistic). Absolutely loved the whole experience and would love to do this again one day with a bunch of mates once they get there. Closed out the day with 11:28 and overall place of 1387, not bad for someone who can't qualify. Then got a surprise when a friend mentioned I had won my age group, which was a great laugh. On the IM tracker the category I started in (last wave is known as the Kukui), and they have age groups for them. I had won the 50-54 age group.
  10. 15 points
    I got it done and enjoyed myself. Do not know how the pointy end race it like they do. I ticked the box and loved the event (whole week build up). Kona was above expectations for family holiday - everyone had a blast. As a race - I’ve done better, as an event - right up there! Finished fresh (that’s what I had to do right?), time to enjoy some family time and put Ironmans to the back of mind for 5-10 years!!!!! IFoz - enjoy your book! PS - traveled with TriTravel and enjoyed every minute of it. Stayed at Royal Kona - worked well for family to watch race, close to expo and restaurants. Main highlight of the whole thing is the swimming. Just so much to see under that water.
  11. 15 points
    Happy with my day in the 70.3. 7th in M40-44 AG - and decided to take the world champs slot in Nice. There were 4 slots for my AG and it rolled down. So it turned out to be a very expensive weekend! Well done to all that raced, and thanks to all that supported. Next stop - Cairns IM.
  12. 14 points
    Another quick update at a touch over 3 weeks post op. Wound healed well so was able to get in the pool for hydrotherapy and other rehab starting at two weeks post op. Got off the painkillers at two weeks as well and had no real increase in the level of pain so happy with that. Surgeon had me on crutches for three weeks to allow the prosthetic to knit inside the bone, so on Thursday I ditched the crutches like I’d been healed by Benny Hinn. Still have a decent limp that I’m going to have to work through, and still not allowed to close the hip joint beyond 90 degrees for a few more weeks to allow the joint to stabilise. Prior to the surgery I was also not able to close that hip up so I assume when I’m allowed to try full range of motion the muscles around that area will take some working. The surgery area is still a bit tender and I can’t sleep on that hip for too long, but in general sleeping is much improved. Been told I’m ok to drive now too, so while I’m not going on any road trips it’s nice not to be confined to quarters. Hoping to get in for a swim in the next few days too. All in all so far so good.
  13. 14 points
    I think we all have different levels of "god given talent" - racing an Ironman as opposed to finishing an Ironman is all about execution on the day. I have beaten guys who are more genetically gifted than me, but on the day they have not put it together as well. Some lose sight of the fact that it's a race from the swim start to the run finish and run out of steam half way through the run. We have to face the fact that now days I race in the 70-74 cat - just getting to the start line in that age group is a challenge. Finishing an Ironman at over 60 is quite a feat, a feat of pacing and patience, as well as health management. I do believe I handicap myself a bit by doing other things in my life that while they make me tougher and stronger, they do interfere with my recovery and are an increased fatigue load. I love what I do, even if it involves heavy manual work at times. I raced my best Ironman race times when I had a bike shop and started late, spent my working days working with my hands but the only strenuous stuff was training. I have always focused on good recovery feeding and I think that's one of the reasons I'm still in the sport. Some would say it's luck, but I'm sure if you looked back over their last 20yrs there are things they could have done better. I think the guys who may beat me internationally are probably just a little more professional in their approach than I am. But I enjoy renovating houses, building pizza ovens, vertical gardens etc.
  14. 14 points
    Well you have already successfully taken the first step. You have told everyone you are vegan
  15. 14 points
    Here’s a story- this is my worst f#%king nightmare today 😂😂😂😂😂
  16. 14 points
    Well done Brett and Prizna awesome result! 10.27 for me which I’m happy with
  17. 14 points
    This is what IM is all about. Sam and his daughter at the end of the ride.
  18. 13 points
    Thanks mate, yeah a bit better today. Pain and swelling is reduced a bit, bruising still looks pretty horrendous. am on Targin pain killers twice a day but have had no additional pain relief. am home now so that’s a bit more comfortable. sleeping is still the biggest issue as you can really only lie in one position at the moment (flat on your back) so when you wake in the middle of the night and just want to readjust to get more comfortable you can’t. dr is pretty conservative and old skool so wants me on crutches for three weeks at least to give everything the best chance of healing 100% again the hospital staff and nurses were just amazing could not fault anything they did for me.
  19. 13 points
    KONA 2018 The qualifying process:- It was a character building process, however looking back I was stoked to qualify for my first Hawaii at Ironman Australia and have so many people around to share the experience with, the amount of texts, calls and “well done mate stoked for you” type correspondence was very warming. Equally it added to the self-induced pressure that I really wanted to perform admirably come October. Training block:- My training was consistent, I changed little aspects of my build from Port Ironman and went about the first couple of months work by kind of telling myself “I’ll start specifically next week,” all the while logging solid base work. I really only did 10 weeks of structured work, however once I take the time to look through my training logs it will tell me a grossly different story. I always had these grand plans that “when I qualified for Kona” I would do all this crazy stuff to reinvent myself, however I fast found out that there is only a certain amount of stress you can put yourself under before it becomes counter-productive, so I stuck to my relatively simple weekly plans and kept trucking through the work/ training/other commitments while what was once 14 weeks away soon became 8, then 6, then a month then two weeks until fly out... and then it was go time. Pre-race in Kona:- we arrived 9 days early and settled quickly. My bike didn’t arrive on the plane as it was apparently full, so after a swim that afternoon to try and wake up, myself and Reedy went out and picked the bikes up. Although only spending half a day with Tim, at that point in the trip it was amazing how much a brief time with someone who’s thoughts you value so much, can settle whatever slight nerves or second guessing very quickly. I don’t get nervous before these types of events, I do however get pretty quiet and spent a lot of my week pre-race running through my day, the scenarios that could eventuate, the reason I am where I am and my checklist for a smooth day. Any training time on the Island was rather subdued, the first few days I rode 2 hours, ran 60mins, swam neally everyday but nothing over 2km (except for the training day over the course a week out) and during the last week I would have trained a total of 7-8 hours, just moving every day, trying to avoid the heat of the day and sitting on the balcony watching lots of foolish folk leave their best on Alii Drive the week before. Registration Tuesday, breakfast with the ANZAC crew Wednesday, Parade of Nations, bike check-in, briefing dinner etc etc and all of a sudden it’s the night before the race. Ironman, weather training, racing or recovering is a step by step process, and the closer the race got the more I just ran through the steps to be ready, so come 7pm Friday the next step was to think about going to bed... probably the worst of the many steps, as you know once you get to sleep and wake up it’s the biggest step of them all. Morning of:- The alarm was set for 4am, by 3:30 I was already enjoying my first of several sits on the toilet pre-race. Breakfast on race morning is always a tough process, no one likes to get up at 3:30 and chow down heaps of calories but it’s something that, when doing these events, is necessary. Sunscreen applied, suit on, run through the checklist one last time and it’s time to walk down to race start. One thing I was made aware of several months before the event was the fact that on race morning you leave your family pre body marking etc and you don’t see them again until post race, this was something I never really got my head around, as before other Ironmans this is one of the experiences I enjoy most, just before you go and treat your body like a rental car there is a lot of nerves in the air, your nearest and dearest know the effort that has gone into what’s about to happen so it’s a big deal and it’s a great chance to thank them for the help along the way, to have to say thanks/love you/make sure you enjoy the day too etc well before race day was tough but still one thing I will remember, walking away from the oldies and Emma slightly teary but knowing in my head it was just me and my thoughts for the rest of the day, was very motivating. Through body marking, weighed, tyres pumped, bottles and GPS added to my bike, toilet and I was ready... only 90 minutes until go time. I found a quiet spot, grabbed a chair and waited for Dave Clark, He appeared about 30mins later and it was time to suit up, drop our bags off at the tent, grab a quick selfie and get to the race entrance. Some of the guys who have raced here multiple times had warned us to be ready to enter the water as soon as the pro women started, so we lined up early and as soon as the cannon fired for the ladies to take off we were ushered towards the stairs and into the water Swim: - For anyone that has watched Kona there is one thing that really stands out, the sight of the cannon firing and 1500 odd super fit males going as hard as they can to get some clear space! This was one of the only thoughts that I wasn’t confident in “where the hell do I start?” I had semi decided to go out wide and swim a little further hoping for clear water however after talking to the other guys from Australia it was soon decided that we were front row right in the middle! My end thoughts were “well at least if I get beat up I can say I started right in the middle of the dance floor!” We swam out together and took poll position, myself, Dave, Scotty Hobson and Josh Minogue starting together and after a bit of a pre- race pump up from Joshy we were ready to go, that’s when one of the officials on a paddle board comes past and says “stay calm guys you have 21 minutes until race start”... “TWENTY ONE MINUTES OF TREADING WATER!!!!!!!” Sub-optimal but everyone is in the same boat right? Through the next 21minutes I tried to stay relaxed, enjoy the best view I have ever seen of the thousands and thousands of spectators lined around the bay and before we knew it BOOM the cannon fired and it was on! I took 20 of the most solid strokes, grabbed a quick breath, about another 10 strokes and looked up aiming to grab Dave’s feet but instead I was met with a flurry of kicks to the head, a few stray strokes in the back, a couple of foot tugs and some dislodged goggles... pretty much what I expected. The next 3800m was much the same, I didn’t get clear water for longer than 100m at a time, always fighting with someone to hold a line but 55 minutes later it was all over and the day was about to start. Bike:- In the months leading up to Kona I picked a lot of knowledgeable brains about their previous experiences and the unanimous response you get was “I rode far too hard in the first hour because I was excited and it effected the rest of my day,” so the plan was to not follow the same route. Ironman is a lot more mental than most will ever realise, that is, if you don’t win the battle inside your head then it’s inevitable that your day will turn for the worst soon enough! You need to have a checklist in your mind that runs on repeat and if you get a little distracted then it’s easy to stop the repetition. My checklist on the bike is similar at most Ironman events and is normally written on my bottle between my arms to remind me constantly throughout the day, I did however add a couple of extras for this race, it’s as follows NO EGO- Reminds me that I’m capable of riding with most of the “over excited” guys who come past during the bike but I really believe the guys who run the best in Ironman are the ones who control their ego then and stick to THEIR plan. HR- In hotter racing it is especially important to keep the heart rate in the right zone, it’s all well and good to have power numbers that you’ve worked to at home but when the temps are 15-20 degree hotter your heart rate is effected considerably and the longer your day goes the harder it is to get your core temp down once your heart rate goes a little high. So although having a power figure I was looking at riding to, I was certainly governed by my HR. 30 MINS- I always try to think 30mins ahead and that involves thinking about your previous 30mins. Yes I might be sailing smoothly now but how will I feel in 30mins? What have I taken in during the previous 30? It’s a pretty simple process that is constantly on repeat. P.I.A.S- A little alternate but it stands for Pain Is A Story, I got this one from Pete Jacobs and felt it was perfect for my day as I had wanted to toe this start line for 20 odd years, I couldn’t let it hurt too early otherwise I wouldn’t enjoy the day... Pain is only a thought and If you don’t “tell yourself the story” then it won’t be there.... a little alternate but it sure works. SUPPORT- The support to race day from everyone at home was immense. I was acutely aware of the amount of people who sit at home and watch the GPS and can see your current progress, so I wrote “Support” to remind myself that everyone was watching, but in a weird way that made me feel like everyone was there with me, so the support was something I wanted to remember all day. Out onto the bike and it was all surreal, Pete Murray giving me words of encouragement, the crowds going crazy, riding on the Queen K it’s easy to see how everyone gets excited, however after about 10km I found myself pretty much alone. I was sticking to numbers perfectly and not having any worries, I guess I was kind of in no man’s land, somewhere between the “uber swimmers” and the “average joes” so I trudged along thinking “where is all this drafting they speak of?” and then it came... solid groups of guys being led by normally one or two extremely strong guys followed by a dozen or so in tow, literally! It’s something that I could write another essay on but if you look at the simple numbers on the course it’s hard to avoid, most try to keep it as fair as possible and I’m happy to say I did see several of the people not playing fair be given penalties. It was very congested from Waikoloa to almost Hawi but once the turn was made it strung out enough. The whole ride was spent waiting for the winds to pick up and sort the men from the boys, however it never eventuated. It was as good of conditions I have seen on race day and made for some really fast bike times. I went in with the plan of being cautious, allowing for a headwind the last hour and riding 5 hours, however the normal headwind was replaced with a slight cross/tail wind to town and I was off the bike with a 4:50 feeling good and clear headed which is a really good sign. Run:- Lathered in sunscreen I am off and running! The plan was to try and run the first 10km easy, get to Palani hill, not let my heart rate go sky high (most likely walk a little) then settle into cadence and heart rate running along the highway. The first kilometre felt amazing, I thought I was conservative, HR was low and my legs felt great! As I click over the first Km in 4:20 I have a laugh to myself and try to slow down, however it’s at this point I go past Emma and the Olds, I give them a smile and let them know it’s all going well and keep cracking... next kilometre 4:15... ok superhero it’s time to settle and run at your goal pace! The out and back along Alii went past without a hitch, I settled into a good rhythm and was ticking off 4:30 without issue, at the far turn around I got to see where the other guys were and get a gauge on how the day was looking. I was happy to be close enough to the guys who I thought, If I run well I would be getting close to later in the run. Once I’m back past the support crew it’s around a few more turns and time for Palani hill, not overly steep but drags on and the European spectators feel the urge to get all “tour de France” on the runners and scream at you to run if you happen to be sticking to your plan! I walked probably 150m when my HR got too high, it came straight back down which I was pleased to see so away I went again! The trip out to the Energy Lab is mind numbing, it the perfect time to turn your brain off, dumb it down, talk to yourself about your run form and mentally go over your checklist. The negative of calm conditions was that the cooling breezes were non-existent, the run from about 22km on consisted of aid station to aid station running well but once I got to the aid stations it was a process of - ditch previous aid stations now warm sponges - scream at some poor innocent aid station worker for “sponges” and once they tried to hand me two, grab their other handful also - grab 2-4 cups of ice for down my front - drink Coke - drink Gatorade - throw water over my face - more ice and away we go! Looking back on my run split, the second half of the marathon was a case of 5:05- 5:15km through the aid station followed by a 4:35-4:45 between aid stations! Once we entered the Energy Lab it’s the only section where you see the guys you know, it was great to see how well some guys were doing but equally as motivating to see some other looking pretty shabby and possibly paying the price for their egos not being kept in check! The Energy Lab came and went, I knew that once back on the highway it was a case of “under an hour” and I could just repeat that over and over in my head! That saying was repeated dozens of times until I hit the 36km mark, then it changes to “inside 30” and before I knew it I could see the turn up ahead to Kona Commons, it was a labour up “Mark and Dave” hill then a turn downhill for a mile home. As I got towards the bottom of the hill with 1500m to go Mum and Dad were standing there, It kind of caught me by surprise as I expected them to be near the finish line and at the time I was screaming at myself inside my head to “run smooth” so I’m unsure if I even said much! A couple of quick turns and it was onto the greatest 800m of any sporting event worldwide! It was something I hadn’t allowed myself to think about too much because it meant a lot more to me than anyone would know! The feeling of running along Alii Drive will be something that gets me through tough times for the rest of my life, It’s indescribable to be at the finish of not just a one day event but a 20-year dream! I zipped up my suit, tried to not look terrible and smiled the whole way down the chute! Emma was screaming like a shark attack victim about 50m from the finish line, got across the line, turned and took the mental snapshots I always do to give me something to reminisce on over the years... I can safely say looking back from the finish line to Emma smiling, the crowds cheering and the sun in the background was the best mental snapshot I could ever ask for! After a quick sleep and trash talk with the other Aussie boys I thought it was time to go see the family, I hobbled out to a very proud partner, Mum and Dad..... job done I guess. Post race thoughts:- If you have read this far I applaud you, once I release version 1.1 and a year or two down the track version 2.0 I expect you to read them also. Hawaii Ironman has always meant more than just a race to me. Hawaii has always been more than just another holiday destination for Emma, myself and My Olds, we all love the place and I certainly feel connected to the big island especially. In 2000 I watched a seemingly invincible human have the hardest day in sport he would ever have, he put his long service at work on the line, trained himself harder than ever before, turned up to the island fit as you could ever be and finished one busted up individual! I think that was the first time I felt the urge to race in Hawaii, an event that could be that tough must be worth the experience right? Well I can now say YES it’s sure worth the experience however post Kona I have come to realise that “the experience” isn’t only about that one day, it’s about the years prior that shape the person you are, it’s about the bonds you build with people when you train with them week in- week out, it’s about learning from the days that don’t go right and adapting to be better, it’s about the choices you (and your significant other) have to make in order to make the day happen, it’s about one day being able to affect your thoughts for years to come! It was a far-fetched goal that I wanted to achieve, to be on the start line with the fittest 2000 people on the planet and find out where I stand. I was hoping the Itch would be scratched, but I’m starting to learn that it’s not just a single goal it’s the process that I (and I think Emma) enjoy! Anyone who has chosen to do an event of this nature with any form of goal in mind knows the effect that the training and racing has not only yourself but your significant others, it’s a selfish sport and without someone who is supportive the end result wouldn’t be close to what it was. I appreciate the support no end. 9hours 15mins for a self coached rookie........... ill take that. Thanks for reading and SORRY for blabbering on!
  20. 13 points
    Be disciplined If we were to spend a day reading posts on this site (and many of us do) the lack of discipline which a lot of athletes show in their dialog, can be the key to everyone of them being better at the sport they obviously love. I doesn't make much difference whether you're training to break nine hours or breaking thirteen hours. Discipline can make a difference, quite a big difference. It can come down to simple stuff like turning up to training on time. I tell the guys in my squad there are only two options, on time or early. There's no third option. The mental quality you exercise to get anywhere on time, every time will come back and reward you on race day. Not just getting to the start on time, it'll show up as a habit, the habit of doing things well. If you start every day "doing things well" it becomes a habit. If you go into your race not thinking about what anyone else is doing, just focused on doing what you do as well as you can do it, the outcome will be good. There's only one square meter you can influence, if everything in that square meter is done as well as you can do it, you'll race to your potential. It doesn't matter if you have 8hrs a week or 18hrs a week available to train, having a military style discipline can make those hours count. Training for 8-10 disciplined hours will give better results than 20hrs of half @rsed training. When you run 400m efforts, you run 401m instead as a lot do, start easing up at 390m. It doesn't seem much at the time, but the psychological gains from knowing you have done it well, compared to the attitude of discounting, will show up when you have to dig deep in a race. Discipline is about building attitude. Your attitude is the most important asset you can take into a race. Especially in the last 20-25km of an Ironman race, It's OK to walk a few steps at an aid station, but it must be to a pre-determined plan. Whether it's 7 steps, 10 steps or whatever you have rehearsed in training, you have to use your practised discipline to start back running. Discipline is a habit. It's a way of life. It's doing the right thing. If only one person changes to a more disciplined life as a result of this post, that's a win. It can enhance every aspect of your life, work, family relationships etc. It simply allows better use of the hours you have.
  21. 13 points
    I prefer to call myself Pikachu. Thanks for the shout out on the course. I would've said more but breathing was hard. But yes prizna/Pikachu is off to Kona.
  22. 13 points
    Prizna off to Kona!
  23. 12 points
    My golf is rooted too. I’m a DNS for Noosa charity golf day and the Tri. Gutted. But like Kona, I’ve spent a Kings ransom on accommodation, so will still be having the usual five days in Noosa. I was the only Cyco to be racing this year. Trannies I knew racing Kona were Blobby and Newt identified himself during the race when he saw my Tranny cap. Putting my bucket hat to good use at Akaka Falls
  24. 12 points
    My Kona training is going as well as can be expected. I spend 4 weeks at work. Every second night I will run usually for 90 minutes. The other nights I will either do intervals on an exercise bike or rowing/swim bands for 90 minutes. During my 2 weeks in Perth I try to maximise my swimming and cycling. During my last Perth break I completed 1350km of cycling, 30km of swimming and due to an injury only 25km of running. I am in Perth this week. On Sunday I will pack my bike into my bike bag and pack my suitcase. I go back to work for 2 weeks, have 18 hours in Perth and then fly to Honolulu for a week and then a week in Kona. I have signed up for everything in Kona - Ho`ala swim, PATH run, undie run, ST party. As a Legacy athlete I want to experience everything, as it is my one and only chance. Super excited now that the race is only a few weeks away.
  25. 12 points
    11th for me. Little bit higher would've been nice but I got a head cold the day after I arrived here and felt rubbish. Brutal course. Non wettie, freshwater swim which was really choppy. The lake had been like a millpond all week. Bike course was hilly and technical. Some inclines where it pitched up over 15% for short bits. And run course had something like 26 turns or corners. Also with a few very sharp inclines. But it was a great experience and a beautiful place to visit and race.
  26. 12 points
    My experience: I kidded myself about early starts and "quality time" with my primary aged kids when doing IM training. I must have "wanted it' because I'd be on the road at 4am to do long rides, would have ridden 100km by the time the groups would be hitting the RNP on a Sunday morning. I'd do a run before 5.30am swim squad, and do 3-4 swim squads a week. I'd run at lunch or long run mid morning on my admin day at work but be doing at least 90 minutes training every morning finishing no later than 7.30 am. I kidded myself I was spending quality time with my kids when I was really just dropping them to whatever they had on or be zonked on the lounge obsessing over training logs while they entertained themselves. I would often brush evenings out as I had to sleep to get up at 0400 and neglected my marriage. I also dialled in management and admin at work and my business trod water for a good few years while I chased an ironman finish. I did tris for 10 years and constantly felt guilty as I knew my priorities were not in order. Getting up early also traded off recovery from all the training I could do. i was constantly sleep deprived and I reckon I could have done better on 5 hours less training and 7 hours more sleep a week, than burying myself obsessing over being a middle of the pack AG triathlete Context: self employed, 11 hr flat IM Quality time is a crock of shit. There is only quantity. You can;t "work around" or "manage" your family, especially kids under late high school age. They won;t wait for their appointed time you have allotted them to bring up their school or relationship trouble, they'll want you to play with the dog when the dog is playful, not when you get home, you may miss the absolute gem of a moment when they run and jump onto your bed because you're doing laps of centennial park alone at sunrise. They may not enjoy cramming a family holiday around race week at Husky but prefer to be skiing with you or learning to surf. Luckily I had an experience similar to B@W and changed my priorities just in time.
  27. 12 points
    Oh wait,,,,,,, you said Mormon. Sorry.
  28. 12 points
    42km trail marathon. 800mtrs elevation. 4hrs11min, came 5th overall, 3rd male and 1st male over 40. £70 worth of OMM vouchers, wohoo 👍
  29. 12 points
    Some of you will know a little of my story from the Mental Health thread, but thought it was timely to post a brief update here. After some 28 years in the finance and insurance industries, I have earlier this week given notice for my current role with NAB. I have spent a good part of my adult life in various volunteering capacities, however over the last 4 years or so I have been devoting a fair amount of spare time to a local group that advocates for young people in our region by way of improving wellbeing and educational outcomes via a number of various strategies and programs. The business has grown considerably after receiving various funds from federal grants as well as philanthropic foundations. Long story short is that they approached me to see if I would consider working with them full time, and they have developed a role around my skill set and interests, so I really didn't have a choice!! I start with them at the end of the month. Looking forward to contributing on a larger scale and making a difference for these young people. Ayto
  30. 12 points
    In 2016 I went to Kona and after a result I wasn't completely happy with I set out a 3 year plan to get back. The plan included qualifying through Ironman WA in 2018. The race has a history of fast times but I figured if I was going to achieve my ultimate goal in Kona I had to race the good guys here at home. Plus I wanted to get the qualification out of the way nice and early to ensure a uninterupted build to the race. Fast forward to 2018 and plans change, life changes and you need to adapt and accept otherwise you lose sight of what we are here for. I cut ties with my coach 4 months earlier and self coached my way through the last 16 odd weeks. I had never gone into a race without a coach and this was completely new territory for me. I took an approach with this race that I didn't need the bike endurance for a race like port, and with all reports being that it's a race where the packs form, I trained for a little higher intensity than I normally would for Ironman so I could react if/when the surges came. I felt my running and swimming was where or at least approaching where I wanted it to be but I wondered if the 16 weeks was going to be a long enough time of consistency to allow me to execute what my goal was. I got to Busselton on the wednesday before the race anxious and excited to have a crack. The few days before the race really seemed to drag, I went for a couple of rides and found the roads to be crazy fast, I couldn't seem to control my power like I could on the crappy roads here in Port, but mainly put that down to being a bit fresher. By Saturday I had got a bit of a sniffle and a tickle in my throat and was panicking I was crook which did cause a bit of stress. Sunday morning in Busselton was pretty well the perfect conditions for an Ironman, not too cool and no wind. I was feeling alright and ready to have a crack. First ironman in 18 months and who knows what we are in for. Met up with a few people before the race and started the swim near Prizna, not that that lasted long... The swim was very un eventful but I enjoyed it. Water there is beautiful to swim in, the first lap was very cruisy holding feet and just ticking off the buoys, second lap was the same just with a bit of dodging but I never found the traffic to cause any issues. Out of the water in 56:31, 3rd in age group. I don't time or wear a watch during the swim so I didn't get this split till the end. It's my slowest ironman swim time outside of kona, and probably not a good indication of where my swimming is at but the position out of the water is about what I expected so no stress there. Onto the bike and I felt pretty good right off the bat, my goal watts for the race were to hold ~210-220w and I was seeing a whole lot of readings in the 230-240w range and beyond so I was trying to control that but in the end just decided to let the power come and it will be what it is. The packs I thought or was told about never formed and I joked about it as I passed Prizna asking where all the packs are? It's probably the fairest race I have ridden, I can comfortably say I worked every second of that bike leg under my own steam and I think almost everyone else out there racing could say the same, there is probably one rider who I saw really pushing the envelope (and I let him know that after about 10 beers on monday arvo). Throughout the ride I seemed to be holding my place pretty well, this is unusual for me as I do normally get a few people coming through but they seemed few and far between and very spread out. I seemed to be passing enough to counteract the ones passing me but I definitely seemed to overtake more in the second half. Towards the end of the bike I passed a guy I knew was in my age group, he decided he wanted to come with me and stuck with me till the final turn around where he put in a huge effort and put 50-100m on me on the run back into town. I closed the gap down a bit and we got off the bike maybe 20 seconds apart. Ride time 4:48:46 (first time under 5) still 3rd in age group. I changed my socks in T2 as they got, ahhh a bit wet on the bike. I lost a bit of time there and the 4th place in my age group entered T2 just as I was leaving. He passed me within the first 2k, I ran my first 2k in 4:15 and 4:12 and he disappeared into the distance. I never really felt comfortable on the run and pulled the run pace back up back to 4:20 at the fastest very quickly. I was holding that 4:20-4:30 pace for the first 2 laps and managed to run with Cam Wurf for a good chunk of his last lap which was interesting. After being passed in the first 2k I managed to pass the guy who entered T2 1st in our age group a few km later and then on the second lap passed the guy who jumped on my wheel heading back to T2. The rest of the run was just survival, I slowed considerably on the 3rd and 4th laps and walked through a few aid stations. It could have really got ugly but I did manage to run the whole out and back section on the last lap. It's amazing the deals you can make with yourself to run a whole 6k at the end of an ironman. The final run time was 3:17:46 which was pretty disappointing but a good indication of the work I need to do to get where I want to be. I finished the race and got out of recovery to meet my Girlfriend. The first thing she said to me is lets go to Kona we can make this work. I didn't hesitate in saying no and for me it was the easiest thing I did on the whole trip. I was stoked for all the guys getting a spot but never once feel like I am missing out on anything by not going this year. I have a lot of positives to take away from this race, namely I have turned things around a lot from 12 months earlier when I was in a terrible place with consistency of training, my love of triathlon was fading and I had 0 motivation. Cutting ties with my coach was probably the best thing I have done, he wasn't getting the best out of me and stepping away from that was a hard thing for me to do. The negatives are just that I am disappointed with my run. I am going to work hard on that and will see a very different result at Port Mac in May. The weekend in Busso was probably one of the best Ironman weekends I have had away. Spending time with a local mate who stayed with us (and punched his ticket to Kona) seeing Prizna get a massive reward for some unreal commitment was a huge highlight. Meeting Jaimie and Keiran and seeing them on course. Of course Sam, seeing him in the race and watching him finish gave me goose bumps, his emotion in the finish shute gives this sport a whole new perspective.
  31. 12 points
    Thanks for the support, I had a PB swim, couldn’t hang onto anyone’s feet so found myself in no mans land but the goal was always sub 1:20 swim which I achieved, bike I’m stoked with, nailed the plan and biked 5:27, got off and legs felt good but the lingering ITB tightness was noticeable, I haven’t run for 4 weeks so didn’t know what to expect, I ran well for 25km walking the aid stations to reset the body position, but it got progressively worse and at 25km the ITB said no more, so the last 17km was 500 walk 500 run. So I’m happy but frustrated at the same time. Overall beat my previous best time by close to 30 mins I think.
  32. 11 points
    My lead up to Kona went well given my awful work roster. I would spend two weeks in Australia cycling and swimming, racking up 1000+km on the bike and 30+km in the pool, each R&R. I would then spend 4 weeks at work in Mongolia. While at work I would run every second day after work (12 hour shifts). On the other nights I would do intervals on the rowing machine and exercise bike. I had an amazing time in Kona. I went as part of the Legacy program after completing 15 x IMWA. I spent a week training and heat acclimatising in Honolulu and arrived in Kona a week before the race. I did the PATH run, Hola practice swim, ANZAC morning tea, first timer morning team, Parade of Nations and Undie run. We also went swimming with the Manta Rays. There was a Legacy event at the King Kam on the Wednesday night. Ironman CEO Andrew Messick greeted each Legacy athlete and spoke to them as they arrived. There were then some inspirational speeches from Mike Reilly, PNF, Dave Scott and Mark Allen. All of the Legacy athletes that I spoke to were super pumped and excited to get the opportunity to race in Kona. The Legacy bikes were racked together near the Pro bikes on the pier. The Legacy athletes were in the Kukui wave, which was the last wave to start the race. The Kukui wave included the Legacy athletes, Foundation athletes (people who got a spot by donating or fund raising for the Ironman charity) and wild card athletes (what ever that means). If you ever get the opportunity to go to Kona as part of the Legacy program – DO IT. It was an amazing experience. Ironman went out of their way to make the Legacy athletes feel special. Through out the week I got train to on some of the famous locations that I have seen on the Kona coverage over the last 20+ years – Palani hill, Alii drive, the energy lab, the climb up to Hawi, Mark and Dave hill, see the lava fields in person and swim out to the coffee boat. I also had a meal at Lava Java, The Kona swim is amazing – you can see coral and fish all the way. On the way back in I found a set of feet to draft off and arrived in T1 feeling relaxed and ready to ride. The bike was hot. With our late start and slower cycle times, by the time we got to the climb to Hawi the wind had really picked up. Sometimes it was a head wind, often a dangerous cross wind. I got a puncture just before the last aid station on the way up to Hawi. While I was fixing the puncture, the wind blew over a shade tent at the aid station which careered into me and sent myself and bike flying. Fortunately, no damage was done to myself or bike. On the way back down from Hawi the cross winds were treacherous, and I did not spend much time on the aero bars. The ride back into town was into a head wind, so I stayed on the aero bars and tried to keep cool, pouring water over myself. When I started the run it was crazy hot. The sun went down before I reached the energy lab which cooled things down a little. I was grateful that I had a head torch as the run is pitch black with little street lighting. I cramped up at the bottom of the energy lab and lost about 10 minutes stretching out the cramp. It was then a slow jog back to town. The final run along Alii drive was amazing. I am not an emotional person, but crossing that finishing line was an incredible feeling. It had taken me 15+ years of training and racing to get there. Getting the opportunity to race in Kona made it all worthwhile. I finished in 13:56:04. I was really happy with my time. I then spent 2 weeks touring in California, with no training at all. I had 2.5 days in Perth so got in 1 swim and 1 long ride. I now have 4 weeks at work and arrive back in Australia 2 days before IMWA. So my taper has already begun!
  33. 11 points
  34. 11 points
    No but I recorded it on Strava. *only joking. The segment was too short 😥
  35. 11 points
    Hi, im ok, just spending a lot of time in the ocean with my speargun. It’s my happy place at the moment and am catching a lot of fish. I’ve just done a month of nightshift on a shutdown here at the gas plant. And should be unemployed again today as the shutdown is complete, I’ve been asked to do the next one in two months but I’m not sure if I’m up to it. I’m very drained and I had a few crisis moments over the last month. I talk to Katz and fff1077 a lot. I have a long way to go. i keep looking at my bikes and want to ride but I just don’t, I’m happy in the ocean shooting fish at the moment. thanks to those who have messaged me here. Much appreciated kieran
  36. 11 points
    I can't remember if I posted about this before, but a few weeks ago I sent an email to the PBS, asking them if they would review their conditions with regards to adhd medications. The is a condition on them that the user must have been diagnosed between the ages of 6 and 18 to have the medications covered under the PBS. Obviously this affects me as the tablets cost a bit over $140 per two months. Without the heavy hyperactive element (I only have some of that) it's very easy for someone with add to get missed, especially a decades ago. I didn't ask for special treatment for me, just to review those conditions in general. I received a reply, pretty much just saying they can't give special considerations on a case by case basis, which wasn't what I asked for. But at least they read it. Picked up my next script of meds on the weekend, and out of nowhere they were $44 cheaper! I just checked the PBS website and they fully listed cost of my meds have dropped by $30 to $44 a prescription. Coincidence, sure. But I'm taking the credit!
  37. 11 points
    To the Trannies who havent been around for a while, just know that your absence is greatly missed & your silence is loud Sending unconditional love & hugs to you xx
  38. 11 points
    Can't give too many details, but my wife & her boss are helping a family of political asylum seekers settle in our town (and trust me, they need it - the husband who was in the Govt (right at the top) is dying has already been jailed in his country for trying to expose Govt corruption and worse). They have 5 kids & the girls have found them a house, furniture including stuff donated by Vinnies & the Salvos, her boss has spent $500 of her own money getting them things. The husband won't last very long he is so ill, but just wants to see his family settled safely here. Hopefully he'll live past tomorrow to see that.
  39. 11 points
    He pays the bills and runs the forum. He can do what ever he likes inregards to trying to flog some product. There are others who use this forum to promote their on commercial intrest and contribute zero dollars to keeping the website running.
  40. 11 points
    Ironman WA 2018 Race Report It’s definitely been a long time between drinks. 2014 was my last IM race at which I had a PB of 14:23:xx or something like that. Between then and now, I had a pretty shit few years with the last year being pretty good, but sadly very busy. About 10 weeks ago though, I decided to throw caution to the wind and enter IMWA. I always knew an ironman on the back of 10 weeks training from effectively a zero base was going to be tough. All I really wanted though was to get around the course and feel that IM feeling once again. So, here’s how it all went down…….. Leading up to the big day, I did some really quite targeted training. I knew I wasn’t going to be able to build well, so I just focussed on what was possible given the time constraints my job currently leaves with me with and the physical constraints I have to manage almost daily. I was much more consistent than I expected of myself and got a lot of quite good sessions in. Stikman was constantly in the background encouraging me to do more intense sessions to help build speed, but this IM wasn’t about speed, it was about getting to the finish line with a smile on my face. I have to say, everything training wise pretty much went to plan. We arrived down in Busselton on Thursday afternoon, got settled into accommodation, caught up with Stikman’s parents (who are in Busselton for pretty much every IM event and just LOVE it) and got settled in to the groove. Friday we went for a practice swim. This was probably the most important thing that happened for me leading up to the event. The background is, my usual wetsuit is sized for my usual racing weight which is about 10 kilos lighter than I currently am. I borrowed a wetsuit from Humdrum which felt like it was going to fit ok, but during the practice swim, I had a meltdown. Full on panic attack. I ended up getting out of the water at one of the platforms on the side of the jetty and had planned on heading back to shore. I did some stern self-talk and got myself back into the water and swam back to shore, just. It hadn’t gone well. That experience really, really threw me. The next day we went out for another practice swim. Again, I did not feel good. I felt better than the previous day, but I couldn’t see how I could possibly have made it through 3.8ks. Stikman bossed me into going and at least having a look at what wetsuits might be available at the expo. I ended up picking up an Orca Equip, the last one and miraculously in my size. I immediately took it for a swim and it felt AMAZING. I felt like I was now ready. Race day. The later start to cater for the 70.3 meant a much more relaxed start to the day than I had remembered from previous. Staying nice and close to the jetty also meant it was nice and easy to get self and ancillary crap to the race without too many headaches. Arrived, crap attached to bike, street gear tucked away and off to the beach. The water was perfect. Still and calm. The swim had definitely been a concern for me, and not just due to the wetsuit issues, but also because I am not an especially confident open water swimmer and the swim now being along the coast rather than out and back had me worried about swell and waves washing over me as I tried to breathe on the ocean side. Thankfully conditions being so perfect meant I didn’t have to worry about any of that. I positioned myself toward the back of the pack, which then got further back as I realised I should really wash the spit out of my goggles and probably get my face a bit wet to try and avoid the usual panic I have at a race start. I am very glad I chose to do that, even though it put me even further back in the pack. A roughly 15 minute shuffle along the beach as the rolling start began and in the water I went. It all went perfectly for me, it was a nice easy swim (lazy as Stikman calls my swimming style) and I thoroughly enjoyed it, though definitely did miss the trip around the jetty. Out of the water in 1:48:06 as expected and feeling really good. T1. I had the BEST vollie looking after me. Seriously the best. I wish I had asked her name to give her a proper shout out, but she was seriously awesome. I took my time, made sure I did everything I needed to do and off I went. Bike. My bike is always easy to find on the racks. It’s bright white coupled with all manner of garishly bright coloured accessories (see pic). It also helps it’s usually all alone when I get to it. My goal times had been 2 hours after race start onto the bike. Tick. Then an 8 hour bike, leaving 7 hours for the marathon. Well, it went perfectly to plan. I sat on my target watts for the whole course and finished in 7:52:58. I had a few brain breaks, on the new section where the hour and a bit of constant rumble does my head in and the first return into town into the headwind. Other than that, the ride was really quite uneventful. I enjoyed it for the most part and it all went nicely to plan. T2. Again, I took my time, got everything done I needed to do and was out on the run course with what some referred to as a picnic (was just a sandwich and a stroopwaffle) and a smile on my face. Run. I had 7 hours for the marathon as planned but as this is IM, I knew plans sometimes (often) go awry so I decided to bank as much time as I could up front in case the wheels came off later in the day. I settled into a 3 min run/2 min walk pattern (I usually do 4/1 but it just didn’t sit right). I stuck with that pretty consistently till about 2/3rds of the way through the 3rd lap when my back really started giving me grief. I was glad to have banked time early as it allowed me to settle into a fast walk for the remaining 15ks or so. For those of you who haven’t walked the last 15ks of an IM, it’s bloody boring. And it really hurts the body, so much more than running. Toward the end of my 3rd lap I caught up with Stikman who was on his last lap and we walked together to the finishers chute. A quick kiss goodbye and on I trudged as he headed blissfully home. On I went. The last lap was relatively uneventful. A notable exception being the snake on the path which I barely saw in the dark. I am sure I scared it as much as it scared me. The finish chute. The best part of the day. As does everyone finishing an IM, I just love the finish chute. There’s not a lot of support when you’re coming in close to the cutoff, but what support there is, is LOUD. I really took my time coming down, high fiving everyone along the way. I was vaguely listening to Pete Murray on the way in, I heard him say something about ‘someone special’, then I looked up and saw my giant human, Stikman, waiting for me at the finish line with medal and towel in hand and a massive grin on his face. He had waited in recovery for an hour and a half for me to finish so he could be there for me. There is something very special about getting your medal from the one you love. So, there you have it. I wouldn’t recommend preparing for an IM the way I did if you can avoid it, but I can recommend taking a risk and having a crack even though the prep might not be perfect. Race time: 16:49:40
  41. 11 points
    I remember reading a post a while back that made me reflect on how much I’ve taken from this site yet how little I’ve given. I tend to keep my thoughts and opinions largely to myself, but after reading about how much people seem to enjoy race reports, I figured this could be a way of contributing to the site in a very small way. I had what I would consider a fairly long journey to KQ, so perhaps there are some useful insights that might help others along the way. For those not interested in the story, here are the numbers from Ironman Cairns 2018 – Swim – 1:02:04 Ride – 04:49:14 Run – 03:10:56 Overall – 09:07:35 2nd in 30 – 34 age group, 6th overall age-grouper, 23rd Overall and Kona Qualification Background My first Ironman was Busselton in 2012, where I learned a very hard but important lesson about over-biking. I walked my way to a 4h30min marathon and an overall time of 10h49min. Then Ironman* Melbourne 2013 with a significantly shortened swim in 9:33 (*probably add somewhere around 30mins to account for missing swim distance) Ironman Australia 2014 in 9.58 Ironman South Africa in 2016 with a marathon meltdown for 9.51 Ironman Australia in 2017 (first time being coached) 9.31 Ironman Cairns in 2018 for 9.07, 2nd in 30 – 34 age group and Kona Qualification. The Build After Port Mac in 2017 I did zero swimming, riding or running for around 6 months. Simply didn’t feel like it, so I just surfed heaps to stay active. I’ve never been a year-round triathlete. About 20 weeks out from Cairns I got moving again and just knocked out some very unstructured swim bike and run training, then once it hit the 16 week mark I got to work. I had a great run of health which meant I was able to be really consistent and get the sessions done. I think I ended up averaging somewhere around 16 – 17 hours per week, with no week being over 20 hours. Race Week My mate, who was also racing, and I arrived in Cairns a few days before the race to kick our feet up and add the finishing touches. I knew I was in good shape so I was very relaxed leading into race day. We were enjoying a few beers every night at dinner, and I always have a beer at dinner the night before the race to remind myself that, at the end of the day, I do this for fun so don’t take myself too seriously. Race Morning After a quick visit to my bike to put on my hydration and pump up my tyres, we just hung out with my support crew. I had my fiancé, dad, brother and his fiancé there which was awesome. I’m always so humbled by people who want to support me in what is a very selfish sport. I was in a great headspace race morning and was smiling all the way from when I farewelled my crew to the water when I made my first stroke of the swim leg. Swim - 1:02:04 I had an ordinary swim. I struggled to get into a rhythm, and instead of concentrating on finding my stroke I sort of just thrashed away. I made a pretty stupid mistake by doing a u-turn at the far buoy and swam in the wrong direction for around 10 metres before nearly having a head-on collision. My fault for not checking the swim course map. My shoulders started feeling tired at around 3km which has never happened before either, but I wasn’t too worried. It’s a long day ahead. Ride - 04:49:14 In Port Mac a year earlier, I’d let the race get away from me on the bike. I ran the fastest marathon of my AG that day which included a 3 minute negative split, but I simply ran out of real estate. This time around my coach (Chris Hanrahan of PB3 tri) came up with a plan to get to the front of the AG race and duke it out with the big boys. We decided that I would ride aggressively with the tail wind up to Port Douglas to maximise its advantage, and then ‘solidly but smartly’ back into the head wind. By around the 120km mark and heading back towards Cairns after hitting Port Douglas for the second time, I found myself completely on my own for around 20km. It was at this stage I realised that I was probably right up the pointy end. At around 145km a bloke from my AG joined me, and we created a two man pace line and rode into town together. I remember noticing he had a Kona drink bottle, so I knew I was in good company. We started riding through (and occasionally picking up) quite a few female pros on the way into town, including one who ended up podiuming. I’ll always remember a great quote from Sebbie Kienle when he was asked what it’s like coming in to T2 with a lead over the other athletes. He simply stated “Well, there are other advantages to being out front – like being a legend”. At around 175km I decided that I wanted to be a legend and come into T2 solo, so I moved to the front of our group of three (now including the podiuming female pro), dropped the hammer and blew them out the back so I could have the glory. It was totally worth it – I felt like such a stud coming in to T2. I was in the change tent completely on my own which was a very weird feeling. Run - 03:10:56 Ran out of T2 feeling like a legend, gave my support crew hi fives, and settled into 4.25min/km run pace. To be honest I didn’t really feel all that good, but I just backed my fitness and followed my plan. I wasn’t sure exactly where I was in my AG (turns out I was second off the bike), but the athlete whom I’d rode with for most of the final 35 kms of the bike leg ran through me after a couple of kilometres. I wasn’t concerned – I had a lot of confidence in the back-end of my marathon and I only ever worry about myself in these races. That’s all I can control. Throughout the marathon I just tried to stay relaxed and follow my hydration and nutrition plan. At around the 21km mark I switched to just coke and water as the gels started to feel a bit gluggy in my guts. At around 32km I was told that I was 3rd in my AG and second was just up the road. I’d seen at the previous turnaround that I’d closed the gap right up with the bloke who ran through me early, and it was pretty clear he was starting to struggle and I was quickly eating away at the time gap. At around the 38km mark I pulled up behind him, sat on him for 10 – 15 seconds, took a moment to gather myself, and then dropped the hammer to blow right past him. I wanted to make sure he wouldn’t come with me – I really wasn’t in the mood for a run battle to the finish by that stage. As I passed he gave me some words of encouragement and that was it. He had nothing left. The final few km were pretty typical of any Ironman – gritting my teeth and questioning if the signage was wrong and the last 2km were, in fact, 10km. Running down the finishing chute with a big smile, I gave my team high-fives and fiancé a kiss. As I crossed the line and looked up and saw my time I was in a bit of shock. I don’t time my swim and I never really do the numbers to work out where I’m at with overall time. This ensures I stay in the moment and don’t get caught up in chasing an overall time. It was at that stage I knew I’d executed a race well beyond what I thought was within my capabilities. Overall Time - 09:07:35 Finally, after 6 Ironmans, I was off to Hawaii. Kona race report to come…
  42. 11 points
    Like Katz I got value for money (15:47). My worst time by 30 minutes.However despite this I had a good day out there all told and enjoyed myself . Saw Katz out the ride, and she had a smile on her face.Met a lovely guy called Dan. I was/ am sore as shit this morning.Big shout out to Mrs BR who followed me round the course all day.I am retired now .🥂
  43. 11 points
  44. 10 points
  45. 10 points
    Oh, and I forgot to add. As from Monday, I am officially retired. Now that's for the "Great News Thread". 😀😀😀 FM
  46. 10 points
    Slayed (slew?) a very big white whale on Saturday... Rocked up to Stones Corner Parkrun as it was pacer week. Locked on to the 25min pacer, and for the first time in my entire life (all 46 years of it) went sub-25 for 5km. Official time was 24:55... Last 750m saw some very ugly running from me... Pretty sure I was doing some sort of weird grunting over the last 200m with every step... *lol* But did the job, and that's a very big goal ticked off. Now for a sub-50min 10km... 🙂
  47. 10 points
    Last time I gave someone crabs they weren’t all that grateful
  48. 10 points
    Just did a session in the pool one on one with a coach. He watched me swim 200m and the said “there’s too much going on there to try and fix things individually so let’s go back to basics”. LOL So back to basics I went. Went from 2:40 hundreds to 2:28 hundreds in a little under an hour. And I feel we’ve barely scratched the surface.
  49. 10 points
    You come across as a genuinely good egg Surfer. The world needs more good eggs.
  50. 10 points
    So, I've been having a little think about this recently given I am a little over a week away from a 15-16:59:59 finish time which I will be completely happy with. Why am I happy with a finish time? Well, there are a range of reasons: 1. The wheels feel off life generally and I am just glad to be back living a happy life again; 2. I've had 4 years off any kind of training or racing as I didn't have any time once I started back at uni, so really shouldn't expect too much in terms of performance; 3. Due to not doing any regular exercise due to lack of time and motivation if I am honest, I had a significant flare up of the back injury a while back which I am really only just getting back under control again; 4. I only decided to race 8 weeks ago and as such have only really been training for 8 weeks; and 5. I am glad to be having the opportunity to reconnect with a sport and a community which has brought me so much pleasure. So, the finish time will suck. I am ok with that. I'm just glad I will be there doing something I love (though hate with a passion at the time), with a motley crew of misfits (that's you lot) behind me in both person and in spirit.
  • Newsletter

    Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?

    Sign Up
  • Create New...