92 replies to this topic

#51 Andrew #1

Andrew #1

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

If only the Australian team had raced like this in 2000! Waldo went off the front, but Stewart and Robbo didn't go with him! Imagine if they had - HUGE chance that Robbo could have run faster that Whitfield (and the other two nobodies who came 2nd and 3rd)!

Shame Bill Davron didn't think about getting the team to work as a team! Lets hope they can get it right this time!!!!

http://forums.transitions.org.au/public/...

I was there on the steps of the Oprah House that day. You must have been watching a different race to me Dolphy. Waldo got out of the water first, but with a dozen guys on his feat. Miles got out of the water about 20 seconds down in the 2nd pack. Waldo puit some huges bombs in on the bike but couldn't break apart the lead pack. Other than marking Waldo no one esle was doing any work and by the end of the second lap the 2nd pack had caught the first. Robbo got out of the water a full minute behind Waldo and drove the third pack by himself until it all came together on the last lap. By the middle of the bike leg 3 athletes were allowed to get away and they put abou a minute onto the peleton (essentially the whole field) by T2. None of the breakaways lasted more than 5 km in the run leg. The last (reigning WC Olivier Marceau?) stayed in front until the second time around farm cove when he was swallowed up by the lead runners. Waldo and Robbo's races were run by T2 - waldo cause he couldn't get away on the bike and robbo becuase of all the energy he had expended on the bike. Miles was the highest Aussie finisher - a close 6th place.

Interestingly, the 'controversy' in the male selection process surrounded the discretionary selection of Stewart who missed both qualifying races. Ironically, he returned the selectors faith with a very competitive race.

Although Robbo was a dissappointment at the Olympics he had won the Sydney WC qualifier by a country mile and backed this up a fortnight later with a close 2nd at the World's in Perth. Although Robbo had another 'failure' in Athens it is hard to seriously argue that he was not a big race performer - he ended his career with three world titles, two 2nd places and a 6th place from six starts. He also snaged a bronze at the Commonwealth Games.

Waldo's slection was also somewhat controversial. He won his spot by coming 3rd at World's in Perth, but controversially Waldo's selection for World's was made by CAS and not the TA slection panel after he challenged his exclusion from the team on the basis that he was the highest 2nd placed Aussie finisher at the Sydney World Cup. Frankly, that was hardly a telling argument - he finished about 40th in Sydney after everybody else pulled out to save their legs for Perth. His successful CAS challenge saw the then World No.1 ranked triathlete Chris Hill miss his spot in Perth, dashing any hope he had for Olympic selection. IMHO, Waldo's selection for Sydney was a mistake. Although he had a reputation a an "Uber Biker", and the hilly parcours in Sydney was supposed to reward someone who had the courage and ability to go au bloc on the bike in all of the warm up WC Sydney races over the years Waldo never had a good result there. I suspect it was becuase the bike course was very narrow and technical and Waldo was never much of a technical rider (I wish I had a dollar for every time I saw him come off the bike when trying to go hard through the technical parts of a bike leg over the years). Interestingly Robbo's then 'coach' (Martin Vinnicombe) made some public statements to the same effect (he also said that Waldo was too heavy and miles was fat) in an interview appearing in the SMH. The interview was very stupid - all it acheived was to have Vinnicombe and Robbo's real coach of the time (Mark Newton) kicked out of the olympics. Robbo raced without any on the ground support and I suspect that this had a major detrimental effect on his performance on the day.

For all the 'controversy' surrounding the selection of the men's team I'm not sure any of it mattered. The fact remains that the 'alternative' selection options, Bennett and Macca, had poor selection races. Indeed TGE had seriously underperformed for more than 2 years since he won the WC title in late 1997 - his non selection seemed to serve as a spur for him to pull his finger out and go and race in America - his purple patch of form only started after he missed out on the team. Similiarly, Bennett's purple patch of form was really from 2002 onwards. IMO the guy that was unluckiest was Chris Hill. I suspect he would have gone well in the Perth World Championship race, and if selected for Sydney he may likley have had a very good race there as well...

#52 reactor1

reactor1

Who is Betty Ford anyway?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:52 AM

Used to be easy, train under Davoren, get mediocre results in the races that mattered and voila.

Care to elaborate!?!

Can only think of BK, who's results speak for themselves

#53 reactor1

reactor1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

Nice recollection Andrew

Will add think the Walton/hilly thing came about due to hills Dnf at sydney. The rules stated the highest placed finishers at syd itu would get a WC start. Walton sfinished just due to this, so had every right to appeal when hill was selected over him not according to the policy. Walton race at Perth backed this decision, but such a shame both couldn't race as hilly was such an amazing athlete

Edited by reactor1, 18 February 2011 - 11:00 AM.

#54 cjmacca

cjmacca

Transitions Addict in Progress

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

Firstly thanks for the well wishes and the support. This was not supposed to come out as quickly as it did but over the last week I knew it was going to leak as we were a fair way down in our talks with the ITU and Triathlon Australia.

Look I have no misconception of how fast these guys are, nor do I believe I am a walk up start to any Olympic Games.

My decision to have a crack at this was a decision my family and I made and after a long consultation with good friend Simon Whitfield we looked at the possibilities of even making the team and whether I was a shot. At no point did I say I could win this thing, or do I in anyway think this is an easy transition. I have been given no gaurentee of a spot on the Olympic squad, and like everyone else in the system have to earn my right to compete. I have been here before in Sydney in 2000, but this time around I am at a very different phase of my life and my career. I made this decision purely on the grounds of being a competitor and as a family man, I think rounding out my career where it started would be a fairytale. I picture taking my girls to London to Experience an Olympics. That is the passion for me. This would be amazing and what will get me out of bed every morning in my pursuit for speed.

We made our decision on the grounds of one single fact. I have a chance to make the Team, why would I not take that chance. The door swings shut after this, so it is my final chance in my life to at least try. No promises, no misconceptions of the enormity of the task, no disrspect to the athletes I am taking on. It was just this simple fact. At the end of 2011 I will never have the chance to even try for a team again.

So firstly. Courtney and Brad are the marque athletes in Australia at this form of racing and I hold them in absolute respect and high regards. I look forward to trying to at least match the standard they have set, in the short period of time I have given myself. It is a huge ask, but I wanted them both to know that. I don't have their email addresses. I was hoping to drop both these guys a mail before the press got a hold of this. In my opinion they are the class Australia has at the moment in this form of racing. I come across to ITU knowing this and wish them all the best. Like I have done for the past 2 olympics, I will be screaming my lungs out for them in support regardless of whether I am on the Team or not. I love to see Australia succeed. To the young brigade of boys (Jimmy, Sexton, Wilson et al) I look forward to racing alongside you guys and make this decision to come back to the ITU fold on a personal level. It will be great to race you all, and I wish you all the best in your chase for Olympic qualification. I hope we can have a chat and look forward to coming back on the circuit and hanging out.

Anyway just wanted everyone to know that. Yes I am doing Cairns. I have a commitment to Challenge Cairns for the next 3 years and we have factored this into my schedule of racing. Olympic qualification will be known by December of this year maybe early into the New Year. Ironman racing will always be available for me and I shall return to this style of racing. My sponsors have all come aboard for 4 more years so they have me racing for a long period to come yet. My sponsors are over the moon about my decision to have a crack at this. I received a call from Specialized last night asking if I wanted to head across to South Africa to join the ITU Team along with Jan Frodeno in training camp. They assured me they will do everything in their arsenal to help me on my journey to London.

So wanted to get this out more so because I dont want anyone to think this is a publicity stunt nor do I want anyone to think I disrespect the talent and the speed of these ITU racers. This is a completely different form of racing. I knew it well back in the day having raced more than 45 World Cups in my career. I am the old guy now and have lots of refining work to do and power and speed to develop. I really look forward to this to be honest. Hopefully my experience and brains can do something to counter the sheer agility and speed of this new brigade. Regardless of what happens it will be an enjoyable process learning to get fast again and racing the cream of the crop of talent. Shit I was racing Dave Scott and Mark Allen when I first started. Now it is Alastair Brownlee and Javier Gomez et all. I will take a lot out of that simple fact. Getting the opportunity to race the best in the World throughout my entire career is all I have ever wanted to do. When I was a junior it was Brad Bevan and Greg Welch, now I have my seniors card it is Brownlee, Frodeno and Gomez. WOW.

Cheers Guys,

Macca.

ps: On another note, I was once told by a sport scientist here in Australia that I was simply way to big and lost too much sweat to ever be competitive at Ironman Hawaii. I was a dreamer and no matter what I did I would be flogging a dead horse. What I was asking of myself was impossible to do. That same sport scientist told me a move to Ironman is a one way ticket. There would be no coming back. This guy obviously knows what he is talking about and studied hard, so I know what I am asking of myself in trying to make the olympics is an impossible task. Lets face it, these guys have all the data. They know! I guess it is like seeing a dog lay an egg. The hardest part of any journey is taking that first step towards it. So easy to tell people what they cant do.

#55 Dolphy

Dolphy

Virtual Triathlon Race Director

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

I was there on the steps of the Oprah House that day. You must have been watching a different race to me Dolphy. Waldo got out of the water first, but with a dozen guys on his feat. Miles got out of the water about 20 seconds down in the 2nd pack. Waldo puit some huges bombs in on the bike but couldn't break apart the lead pack. Other than marking Waldo no one esle was doing any work and by the end of the second lap the 2nd pack had caught the first. Robbo got out of the water a full minute behind Waldo and drove the third pack by himself until it all came together on the last lap. By the middle of the bike leg 3 athletes were allowed to get away and they put abou a minute onto the peleton (essentially the whole field) by T2. None of the breakaways lasted more than 5 km in the run leg. The last (reigning WC Olivier Marceau?) stayed in front until the second time around farm cove when he was swallowed up by the lead runners. Waldo and Robbo's races were run by T2 - waldo cause he couldn't get away on the bike and robbo becuase of all the energy he had expended on the bike. Miles was the highest Aussie finisher - a close 6th place.

Exactly what I said - but in about 200 words or less!!! :-) I couldn't be arsed typing that much!

:lol:

#56 kokomo

kokomo

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

you are TGE

#57 Dolphy

Dolphy

Virtual Triathlon Race Director

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:14 AM

Way to go Macca!!!! We all want to see you succeed!!!! Show those young boys and thing or two!!! :lol:

#58 Volc

Volc

Transitions Addict in Progress

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

I think rounding out my career where it started would be a fairytale. I picture taking my girls to London to Experience an Olympics. That is the passion for me. This would be amazing and what will get me out of bed every morning in my pursuit for speed.

I guess it is like seeing a dog lay an egg. The hardest part of any journey is taking that first step towards it. So easy to tell people what they cant do.

Thanks for dropping in Macca and for your post. Keep chasing your dreams, and I wish you all the best.

#59 Crumpet

Crumpet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

Yep - hope TGE makes the team!

Yep - think he will make the team - why not ey?

Yep - like YoYo, I have a man crush.

Good luck mate! Looking forward to seeing you on the start line in Sydney? If nothing else it will help bring a massive crowd.

cjmacca - can you give any insight to your race schedule as yet? Mool? Sydney?

#60 TrinewB

TrinewB

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:25 AM

Great Macca!!! Good on you. Good luck I am sure you will smokem!!

#61 Andrew #1

Andrew #1

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:28 AM

Nice recollection Andrew

Will add think the Walton/hilly thing came about due to hills Dnf at sydney. The rules stated the highest placed finishers at syd itu would get a WC start. Walton sfinished just due to this, so had every right to appeal when hill was selected over him not according to the policy. Walton race at Perth backed this decision, but such a shame both couldn't race as hilly was such an amazing athlete

You're right - rules are rules and Hilly made a silly mistake in pulling out rather than continuing toi duke it out for 40th place or whatever it was in Sydney... But, it looked like a silly rule to me at the time when the 2nd placed finisher finished WAY back in the field...

BTW, I think it is fantastic that Macca is giving it a go... I reckon he has a fighting chance - and heros only need a fighting chance to become legends...

#62 nealo

nealo

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,362 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

Firstly thanks for the well wishes and the support. This was not supposed to come out as quickly as it did but over the last week I knew it was going to leak as we were a fair way down in our talks with the ITU and Triathlon Australia.

Cheers Guys,

TGE

Fixed that for you.

#63 alchemy

alchemy

Senior Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

It's on like Donkey Kong. TA should be loving the publicity this is going to give the team going into the games.

Best Wishes Macca, it can only bring the best out of all the athletes involved, hopefully it will help build the competitive environment that the womens team has enjoyed for so long.

#64 goughy

goughy

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,106 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

I'm looking forward to following your tweets this year macca.

There's one thing you can say about TGE, and that's that he's not afraid to go head to head against the best, regardless of the event. pretty much seeks them out. no hiding in the corner. Can't await to see what unfolds over the next 12 months.

Good luck.

#65 Guest_Gimili_*

Guest_Gimili_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

Guess he needs a handicap for Kurnell Worlds now?

#66 Crumpet

Crumpet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:18 PM

Yeah well if he wants to show his speed, might be time for him to come back to the CTC club race, he used to hold the course record, now there are about 10 peeps that have bettered his time!!!

Come on Macca - come back and put your time back at the top haha! :lol:

#67 KAM

KAM

Senior Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:20 PM

Dunno, early days ...he might not be quite ready yet! :lol:

Nice job Chris, all the very best for a healthy & successful campaign for you to reach your goal of London. We'll be cheering for you! :lol:

Katherine (Cato).

#68 Quack

Quack

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

It's sold out :lol:

#69 Guest_steamroller_*

Guest_steamroller_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

I was going to comment regarding the same Gim, but didn't want to be the first to comment. However as TGE hasn't done a KWC (Kurnell World Championship) for some time I was going to give him the same handicap as someone else who hasn't done one for a while. Is 16 minutes suitable?

Edited by steamroller, 18 February 2011 - 12:52 PM.

#70 Brick

Brick

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:15 PM

Macca is only having the change to ITU so he can keep up with his children and try to stop them causing a mess around the house.
He will fail at that for sure, kids will be kids and always make a mess.
But he could get on the Australian team.

Will be watching your progress for sure.
Good luck Macca.

#71 IronJimbo

IronJimbo

Senior Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

Yeah well if he wants to show his speed, might be time for him to come back to the CTC club race, he used to hold the course record, now there are about 10 peeps that have bettered his time!!!

Come on Macca - come back and put your time back at the top haha! http://forums.transitions.org.au/public/...

Good point

He's been hiding from me ever since the 1997 BRW...

#72 Will

Will

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

Has anyone compared the times TGE was racing to what they are racing now? Besides TGE

Does he just have to get back to his old form or faster? I think Thorpie in his comeback has to go faster than ever before just to qualify - is TGE in the same boat?

#73 IronJimbo

IronJimbo

Senior Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

I think Thorpie in his comeback has to go faster than ever before just to qualify

I'm not sure if that's the case

I believe his 400m word record was only been beaten by 0.01s, by a guy in an illegal suit...

#74 Crumpet

Crumpet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

I'm not sure if that's the case

I believe his 400m word record was only been beaten by 0.01s, by a guy in an illegal suit...

yeah but thorpie isnt racing 400. He will have to go faster in the 100/200 most likely to qualify.

#75 Guest_Gimili_*

Guest_Gimili_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:13 PM

I was going to comment regarding the same Gim, but didn't want to be the first to comment. However as TGE hasn't done a KWC (Kurnell World Championship) for some time I was going to give him the same handicap as someone else who hasn't done one for a while. Is 16 minutes suitable?

I'd give him 15'45". I think you got to respect his ability in transition and take 15 seconds off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users