50 replies to this topic

#26 OneZero

OneZero

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,519 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:34 AM

Polar are apparently going to release a Garmin like device soon which should shake things up a bit.

#27 Guest_Gimili_*

Guest_Gimili_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:57 AM

so i have an old polar s520..... the strap has two plastic knobs either side of the press stud hole so the garmin doesn't go into it.

is that wearlink strap different to the one I would ahve with this, ie no plastic knobs to support the press stud fastening?

just checed their website and it indicates that the ol s520 is a wearlink strap... i can't tell from what i have as the logos have rubbed off, but it def don't just go click....

i gather this wearlink is more modern with no supports for the press stud?

oh yeah... apologies for posting an on topic thread

Edited by Gimili, 17 April 2010 - 09:00 AM.

#28 ploddingalong

ploddingalong

Transitions Addict!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

I will try mine with the polar strap today. Tested it just walking around and seems to be working better than using the garmin strap.

#29 goughy

goughy

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

I found a few things that seem to have improved the reliability of the Garmin HR strap.

1. Rinse/wash it after each use.
2. Don't just dampen the electrode, wet both sides of the whole end - run it under the tap.
3. Adjust it up snugly.

As an observation, on the bike a flapping jersey seems to be the worst culprit for odd readings,

Cheers,
Greg

But I wasn't having issues when i started a run or ride. When you're 30 minutes into a run sweating like a pig and your hr is jumping from 80 to 240 and back to 80 then I think there's a problem with the strap. Each of mine so far worked perfectly for about 3 months, from the first second they were put on whether dampened or not. Then in about their 4th months they've started to play up.

I've just ordered a strap from PP and will see how it goes.

#30 goughy

goughy

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

so i have an old polar s520..... the strap has two plastic knobs either side of the press stud hole so the garmin doesn't go into it.

is that wearlink strap different to the one I would ahve with this, ie no plastic knobs to support the press stud fastening?

just checed their website and it indicates that the ol s520 is a wearlink strap... i can't tell from what i have as the logos have rubbed off, but it def don't just go click....

i gather this wearlink is more modern with no supports for the press stud?

oh yeah... apologies for posting an on topic thread

Voodz supplied this link earlier
http://www.pursuit-p...s/WearLink.html
Scroll down to show the strap and you can see a statement saying that all straps will now be supplied in the new style shown below. The new strap just has the press studs raised, but no plasitc bits near it so I guess it just fits in nice. Maybe they changed their strap design when they saw an opportunity to increase it's sales?

#31 coghead

coghead

Senior Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

You just need the strap not the actual unit. The units arent compatible ut the garmin unit connects fine into the Polar strap and works perfectly.

Genius.
Thankyou very much for the tip. Works a treat.

#32 OneZero

OneZero

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,519 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:30 AM

Garmin- the SRAM of the GPS world.

#33 Guest_Gimili_*

Guest_Gimili_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

polar one arrived today, seems to work..... see how it goes once its got sweaty a few times....

all good

#34 tortoise

tortoise

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:29 PM

I rummaged around (being a good girl and not bending or lifting naturally :lol:) and found my spare Polar wear link. It's one with lugs, but I think I might spend quality time sitting in the sun with a file and get rid of them. Nothing ventured, nothing lost.

#35 goughy

goughy

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:46 PM

polar one arrived today, seems to work..... see how it goes once its got sweaty a few times....

all good

Mine rocked up today as well. Great minds think alike!

#36 Voodz

Voodz

Who is Betty Ford anyway?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:00 PM

Glad others are having some sucess with the Polar...

#37 Toolish

Toolish

Senior Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

I have started having issues with my Garmin heart rate lately too.

As I run it creeps up and up and up, taking it easy on a recovery run after some intervals and it is telling me my heart rate is 180+. It seems it is to do with static on clothing because if I lift my shirt up the heart rate begins to go down. But, I am not runnnig shirtless so I am thinking I might try to Polar option. Where is the best place to get a wearlink strap nowdays? Might get the 310 cadence/speed sensor too so would be ideal to get both from one shop.

I see Highly tuned athletes has the strap for 39 and the cadence/speed for 69, anywhere better than that?

#38 Parkside

Parkside

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,996 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

I have never had an issue with the garmin strap except the elastic has perished. Got a Polar wearlink strap for $23 at the Fitness freakshow on the weekend. The garmin now takes ages to detect the hrm. With the garmin strap it would pick it up 3 rooms away as soon as the strap went on and I NEVER had to wet the garmin strap.

#39 kokomo

kokomo

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

i just change batteries and all my problems go away.. if not i replace strap..

#40 Tyno

Tyno

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

I see Highly tuned athletes has the strap for 39 and the cadence/speed for 69, anywhere better than that?

http://www.cycleogic...roducts_id=2011 - $22 for the Polar strap
http://www.cycleogic...roducts_id=1922 - $65 for the sensor

They delivered my 500 in 2 days.

I never have any issues with the Garmin HR, but that's using the old fashioned hard strap.

#41 JeffS

JeffS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

I used to have major issues with my heart rate jumping all over the place using both the garmin strap and the polar strap. I recently started using the heart rate electrode cream from Wiggle and only very rarely (usually if I apply too much) have issues. I have returned to using the soft garmin strap.

#42 The Glycogen Lilo

The Glycogen Lilo

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

He said there are still people who've had issues with the polar straps, but within 9 months I've had two of the garmin straps with issues so I'm gonna give it a go.

I am one of the few people who seem to have more problems with the polar straps than the garmin straps!

A few thoughts, for what it is worth.

I rarely get bad readings on a run with my garmin strap. But then again, I have a high sweat rate whilst running (approx 2 litres/hr in summer) so I suspect that conductivity is not a problem.

If I get problems at all they occur:

1. on the bike;
2. earlier rather than later in a ride; and
3. particularly if I put the strap on and then wait for a while before commencing my ride.

Whilst I can't prove it for sure, I suspect that any problems that I do have with the Garmin strap are purely to do with conductivity. If I have a problem and re-wet the strap it works.

Not sure why the polar strap gives me bad readings (on the run and often quite some distance into the run!) when they work better for other people but such is life.

TGL

#43 The Glycogen Lilo

The Glycogen Lilo

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:15 PM

I used to have major issues with my heart rate jumping all over the place using both the garmin strap and the polar strap. I recently started using the heart rate electrode cream from Wiggle and only very rarely (usually if I apply too much) have issues. I have returned to using the soft garmin strap.

Interesting post - it is this sort of feedback which makes me think that it can be quite an individual thing.

Hey silv - if you don't mind me asking, would you consider yourself a light sweater?

TGL

#44 goughy

goughy

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:24 PM

I have never had an issue with the garmin strap except the elastic has perished. Got a Polar wearlink strap for $23 at the Fitness freakshow on the weekend. The garmin now takes ages to detect the hrm. With the garmin strap it would pick it up 3 rooms away as soon as the strap went on and I NEVER had to wet the garmin strap.

My 310 detects that I have the hrm on, but doesn't pick up a reading when using the polar strap until I'm sweaty. But if rub a bit of spit on the sensors then put it on it picks up my hr straight away. The garmin strap worked straight up, no spit.

#45 The Glycogen Lilo

The Glycogen Lilo

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:31 PM

My 310 detects that I have the hrm on, but doesn't pick up a reading when using the polar strap until I'm sweaty. But if rub a bit of spit on the sensors then put it on it picks up my hr straight away. The garmin strap worked straight up, no spit.

Seems like a similar experience to Parkside?

Have heard lots of stuff about how the garmin strap doesn't work for some people (even though it is clearly the strap of choice for Parkside, Goughy and even me) but now am hearing that the polar strap doesn't work for everyone either.

Still not sure why different people have such different experiences with the garmin strap vs the polar strap.

Must be a PhD in there somewhere just waiting to be done :lol:

TGL

#46 nealo

nealo

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,898 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:37 PM

I am one of the few people who seem to have more problems with the polar straps than the garmin straps!

I use to have problems with my Polar straps and even used "gel" from a pharmacist that they use for ultrasounds. That then meant I had to wash the strap very regularly to stop the "gunk" build up.

I've now had my Garmin strap (the old type) for just under 2 years, never replaced the battery, never washed the strap and only had one incidence of a dodgy reading.

*disclosure - big sweater

#47 JeffS

JeffS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

Interesting post - it is this sort of feedback which makes me think that it can be quite an individual thing.

Hey silv - if you don't mind me asking, would you consider yourself a light sweater?

TGL

When I did a fluid loss test with the dietician I was using about 18 months ago we figured I needed about 650 ml of water on the bike each hour. Not sure where this places me in on the sweat rate scale, but not a heavy sweater I would think.

#48 The Glycogen Lilo

The Glycogen Lilo

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

When I did a fluid loss test with the dietician I was using about 18 months ago we figured I needed about 650 ml of water on the bike each hour. Not sure where this places me in on the sweat rate scale, but not a heavy sweater I would think.

Yep - agreed. Not a heavy sweater at all.

All very interesting!

#49 Catcam

Catcam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:23 PM

My HR always goes down when I start running.

Try wearing a HR strap and a bra - one of them always has to give!!! :lol:

#50 The Glycogen Lilo

The Glycogen Lilo

Transitions Legend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:28 PM

Try wearing a HR strap and a bra - one of them always has to give!!! http://forums.transitions.org.au/public/...

Will do. Not really that unusual in my line of work anyway :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users