All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. So...sort of following on from the Blood Pressure part of a recent thread, of those men over 55, who has done all the checks and tests that blokes our age are supposed to do? What did they tell you and what can you do about it? Do we take our health as seriously as most women do? I don't think so. I have an appointment booked for when I get back home next month, but today, went for what I thought was the full monty of blood tests and ultrasound ( sonography ) of my abdominal organs. Obviously still waiting for blood results but the other stuff came back clear. Now it's done, at least I have a benchmark to compare future test against. Probably the biggest concern is prostate and cancers but, having said that, if you've got it, you've got it. What about the other elephant in the room with the male downstairs department and being able to keep that blood flowing to the right places. Has all that time in the saddle had any affect? Thoughts and musings??
  3. Workplace smackdowns

OK, so first Smackdown went my way. 2nd is this coming Saturday. need some tips. Distance is 5/32/5, run is flat, bike is lumpy. Likely to be very cold and 'kin windy. What say the Trannie collective, bottle on the bike with a decanted gel (or two), just water and a gel in T1 or T2, nuffink at all? I reckon this will be close to a 1.50-2hr job. Thanks
  4. The Mental Health thread

The scenery will definitely change, we're covered in snow here. Seriously, don't sweat the post IM blues. Let the hunger come back to you, rather than chase it IMO.
  5. Toowong bus depot to Riverview return (via Western FWY bikepath and Ipswich MWY bikepaths and service roads) is 56km. Add bus depot to Coro Dve and Milton and you'll be about 70.
  6. Tri bikes for Juniors

Sporting grants are obviously a great way for a club to get some bikes, but there are also several other options for encouraging juniors and beginners into the sport. A grant could be used to subsidize some bright club clothing so the kids are safer when training or racing on the road. This will at least make them look like they are part of a club - and keep them safer. Most kids these days seem to own mountainbikes, or at least have access to a mountainbike, so why not have MTB specific categories even for the road events. The extra entries that you will attract will easily pay for extra prizes or medals and it really does open the sport up for a lot of kids who would otherwise never get the opportunity. Sure the kids can always use a MTB in any event, but there is no way that they can be anywhere near competitive against kids on road or tri specific bike, and no kids really like it when they are copping an absolute hiding. Have lots of age categories, and have a variety of fun events and distances that they can do. For instance run some multi-leg duathlons where they do say a 1km Run, 3km Ride, 1km Run, 3km Ride, 1 km Run. The extra transitions and relatively longer runs mean the disadvantage of a slower bike doesn't matter so much. Plus they are always a bit of fun for the kids and their parents/spectators. Keep it fun and you'll get them interested in the sport for the right reasons, the more serious ones will eventually get better bikes and you'll end up with a club that not only looks good, but is also fun to be a part of... Just my thoughts!
  7. Who's trying to qualify for itu worlds?

Speaking of TA/ITU ... Anyone know when the website for the event might actually move into production mode - I mean the event is less than 6 months away now and there are no course details, nothing much more really than - it's at Southport & you should book some accommodation from our partners..... It is not really a great impression
  8. 9 weeks till Ironman Australia

Yes. Only in for the half but haven't started again after IMNZ.
  9. The Mental Health thread

So the post IM blues are not going well... They were delayed by having family over visiting but am now struggling. I tried to get back into training but couldn't hack it... have an injured toe (pathetic I know) and have pulled a butt muscle. Off back to the UK tomorrow for 5 days... hoping the change of scenery will do me good. Monkie
  10. 9 weeks till Ironman Australia

Yes of course. You are right. Luck ive do Kona ironman.
  11. 9 weeks till Ironman Australia

I've never walked MFD or DNF d an IRONMAN. But damn im now confused. Never Kona'd either.
  12. Rotto swim canned - shark...

Nope but after reading that I'm pretty happy she was found. Losing a large rubber ducky is pretty traumatic apparently.
  13. Who's trying to qualify for itu worlds?

Karen Barrow is coming up to the next age group for worlds, so that is another change
  14. 9 weeks till Ironman Australia

Easy there buddy. You’ve proved in the past you can dnf
  15. Who's trying to qualify for itu worlds?

I think it's a very manual process so I don't envy them trying to get it right. I wonder if someone could write a script to run through the results and make all the adjustments automatically?
  16. Who's trying to qualify for itu worlds?

So we're surprised that TA has some issues with this??
  17. 9 weeks till Ironman Australia

I'm sure Peter could block out all the negative thoughts if he only had 1 person to beat in his AG to get to Kona. Then again, you've got to beat that person.
  18. Who's trying to qualify for itu worlds?

40-44 female AG coming up as normal points not double
  19. Who's trying to qualify for itu worlds?

Probably due to the mess up with the points in my age group
  20. 9 weeks till Ironman Australia

Come on Peter, your looking for an excuse. You need to focus on the journey and not what others are doing. We all have a little voice that can undermine our dream - the difference between her & you is not purely talent, it's often the ability to block out the negatives and switch right back on to the constructive thoughts / self talk. The outcome is often decided by who handles it best. #blessed #kona #flea #tiger
  21. 9 weeks till Ironman Australia

I wish my age group only had 2 in it. Seems AP excels with Insta queen and himself. Sadly there is usually 300 plus.
  22. Numbat and Goat

They should head down to Busselton and draw a shark over the roads. That should lead to a cancellation of the ride.
  23. Cavendish is flying... Literally

It was at the far end of a traffic island after the round-a-bout. The only other thing they could have done was bunting all the way from the intersection to it, and that would probably have caused more problems.
  24. Cavendish is flying... Literally

they'd actually covered it in the event of someone riding into it... but alas he still managed to fly over it, there are much worse obstacles in pro racing through some of those towns... can't remember which race it is, but it has light poles smack bang in the middle of the road every 15m or so for 500m. no nice yellow pads protecting them either.
  25. 9 weeks till Ironman Australia

How's the training going AP?
  1. Load more activity