Rude Beef

Your 'hardest' race?

AP    1,529
On 14/07/2017 at 10:27 AM, IronJimbo said:

1997 Gold Coast Half Ironman at Robina

The longest race I'd done previously was Kurnell.  Nowhere near enough training, and no idea whatsoever about nutrition, pacing or any of that crap.  Just thought I'd have a go

According to my grandfather's weather station it was 37 degrees and 80% humidity on the day, and I was out there for 7:20.  But I got there eventually

I did that race as well - a good friend who is a career SAS soldier did the race and "qualified" for Forster but said - "If that's half an Ironman you can stick a whole one up your ass" It was another two years before he ventured down to Forster :lol:

It was a cruel day 

• Like 1

Mjainoz    1,029
On 09/07/2017 at 7:23 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I've done everything from Sprint Distance to IM at Kona, 1500m track events to Marathons, Cross Country, all distances in the pool up to 1500m, Crit racing through to multistage bike races, but absolutely nothing comes anywhere near the 100km TTT on the bike.

The original Brisbane Tri Club affiliated with CQ for a couple of years in the 80's, so we rode as a club. We entered the State TTT Champs one year and had an absolute ball. By 90km I was absolutely dying, and my legs were screaming. In any other race I could have eased slightly and come home as best as I could, but with 3 needing to finish (1 dropped off at 75km), and Fidler & Croft still riding hard, I've never hurt so much or dug so deep in my life.

With Ex...  I've done a lot of races in 34 years since my first marathon...  I think 90k teams TT in 80's would be right up there. 1500m track run also v tough.  As was an early tri in Sydney in 1984/5 in cold wet day... mmassive wind chill and shivering all the way post non wetsuit swim (who the f wore a wetsuit back then!)...  fell over on bike as I was too cold to change shifters half way out of Bobbin Head :)  Last year's Sunny Coast 70.3 also up there for other reasons...  but Teams Time Trial on the bike is the winner

Mjainoz    1,029
On 12/07/2017 at 7:00 AM, Go Easy said:

I don't really have a 'hardest' race, I just Go Easy!! B)

Not been on here a while..I see you're still peddling the same old crap :)

Not training either I am guessing !!

Chs mate :)

• Like 2

Go Easy    1,170
7 hours ago, Mjainoz said:

Not been on here a while..I see you're still peddling the same old crap :)

Not training either I am guessing !!

Haha...  You've seen me race (several times) I'm just out to enjoy it.  I'm there for a good time, not a quick time!

And yes, I am doing a bit of running and am about to start swimming and riding again as well because I've just heard that you're on the comeback trail and I can't have a bald old prick like you beating me again... :)

Welcome back mate, hope to catch up with you again shortly.

Go Easy    1,170
7 hours ago, Mjainoz said:

Last year's Sunny Coast 70.3 also up there for other reasons...

Have a look at my photos from last years Sunny Coast 70.3 and then tell me that I race too hard!!

And yes, as soon as I saw that you posted on this thread I knew you'd be making mention of that race.  That was one gutsy effort for you to finish that one!

Evil Guru    40

Shepparton Half in 2009 in 36 deg was interestingly tough with a 2:35 bike and a 2:24 run, i was so hot that I chose to run through the sun and walk the shade. I was shoving ice anywhere it would stay.

More recently an adventure race that involved a 16 km trail run with 700 m of ascending, followed by a 12 km paddle, by the 6 km mark my quads and adductors were in cramp and stayed that way until the end. Fell out of the ski at the end of the paddle and cramped in legs and arms. Decided to ride back down the road to my campsite and quit. However as I got there realised that I had no food or electrolytes there so decided to carry on to the pub 20 km down the road. By the time I'd reached the pub I was feeling better and so tackled the 20 km of climbing. Stepped off the bike with a 4 km run to do and decided to walk run it.Unfortunately couldn't walk as every time I did I went into cramp. Ended up running it. Tough day with cramps.

chris    27

I have to say right. Ow Sunday's etape would be up the 202km with 4000 metres of climbing 

• Like 1

IronJimbo    484
On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:04 PM, AP said:

I did that race as well - a good friend who is a career SAS soldier did the race and "qualified" for Forster but said - "If that's half an Ironman you can stick a whole one up your ass" It was another two years before he ventured down to Forster :lol:

It was a cruel day 

It was certainly one of those days when you learn a thing or two about yourself

Rimmer    316

Hardest race would have to be the Coast to Coast Multisport race from the North Coast of Scotland to Ballachulish down near Fort William in 2011. It involved a 12km XC run, 90km Road / Gravel / Off-road ride, 2km run, 2km paddle, 2km run, 90km Road / Gravel / Off-road ride, 27km run (part the way up Ben Nevis) and over some serious rolling hills, before a 2km downhill run, 2km paddle and a 500m run to finish it off.

The whole thing came about as a mate was in town for a conference in Edinburgh and he suggested we "find a race". The night before the race he commented that he was ".... really, really worried about the race and how he would perform". I kept it to myself, but thought .... "well, if you won your AG in Hawaii 11 months earlier, I wouldn't be too worried, but I was bricking it!!!"

Weather was awful, scenery was amazing and the day was tough. Great weekend all-round and one I'll never forger.

FatPom    2,154
1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

. It involved a 12km XC run, 90km Road / Gravel / Off-road ride, 2km run, 2km paddle, 2km run, 90km Road / Gravel / Off-road ride, 27km run (part the way up Ben Nevis) and over some serious rolling hills, before a 2km downhill run, 2km paddle and a 500m run to finish it off.

Bloody hell, how did you remember which bit was coming next?:huh:

• Like 2

DiaboloACT    2

I've done everything from Sprint Distance to IM at Kona, 1500m track events to Marathons, Cross Country, all distances in the pool up to 1500m, Crit racing through to multistage bike races, but absolutely nothing comes anywhere near the 100km TTT on the bike.

The original Brisbane Tri Club affiliated with CQ for a couple of years in the 80's, so we rode as a club. We entered the State TTT Champs one year and had an absolute ball. By 90km I was absolutely dying, and my legs were screaming. In any other race I could have eased slightly and come home as best as I could, but with 3 needing to finish (1 dropped off at 75km), and Fidler & Croft still riding hard, I've never hurt so much or dug so deep in my life.

A very good friend of mine was on a team preparing the 100 TTT for the Barcelona Olympics.  He can go to places of hurt on a bike that I can't even imagine going anywhere near to :-)

Ex-Hasbeen    3,754
4 minutes ago, DiaboloACT said:

A very good friend of mine was on a team preparing the 100 TTT for the Barcelona Olympics.  He can go to places of hurt on a bike that I can't even imagine going anywhere near to :-)

It's so completely different to what we do in an individual sport. I can remember Nick saying to me after the race he was seeing spots in front of his eyes for the last 10km. Troy said he was feeling faint, and me, I was just in autopilot, legs burning for 30 seconds, then "trying" to get some relief behind them before doing it again a minute later.

AP    1,529
9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It's so completely different to what we do in an individual sport. I can remember Nick saying to me after the race he was seeing spots in front of his eyes for the last 10km. Troy said he was feeling faint, and me, I was just in autopilot, legs burning for 30 seconds, then "trying" to get some relief behind them before doing it again a minute later.

Remember Ian Jensen - I did a veteran's 20km TTT with him once - he was stronger than me - I rode so hard my nose bled - we came in second B) we did a couple of vets 4 man TTTs but we were too strong for the other guys and ended up nursing them through the last half but still averaged 40kph in windy conditions

Mike Del    27

Ah yes remember that race well. My calves starting cramping big time around the 60k mark, and I was just the neutral observer in your following support vehicle.  You guys also had the gayest team jerseys I've ever seen. 

Mike Del    27
6 hours ago, AP said:

Remember Ian Jensen - I did a veteran's 20km TTT with him once - he was stronger than me - I rode so hard my nose bled - we came in second B) we did a couple of vets 4 man TTTs but we were too strong for the other guys and ended up nursing them through the last half but still averaged 40kph in windy conditions

Ian Jensen was a machine, along with Greg Redan two older athletes who often podiumed back in the day. 

Ex-Hasbeen    3,754
40 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Ah yes remember that race well. My calves starting cramping big time around the 60k mark, and I was just the neutral observer in your following support vehicle.  You guys also had the gayest team jerseys I've ever seen. 

I thought you DNFed with Hamilton.

And yes, they were rather gay.

Rimmer    316
21 hours ago, FatPom said:

Bloody hell, how did you remember which bit was coming next?:huh:

It was fairly logical in the end and you carried all of your gear from the first bike to the run up Ben Nevis. Logistical nightmare as we had to have someone who could take two days off work, could be insured to drive the Cayenne (and me trusting them) and who you could trust to be in Fort William at a certain time to collect and load bikes through to the finish.

Funniest part of the weekend was my mate from Melbourne went from the Balmoral (5 star) to the Smithton Pub outside Inverness (1 star) to a YHA .... and then onto Qantas 1st Class home.

Mike Del    27
On 21/07/2017 at 7:12 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I thought you DNFed with Hamilton.

And yes, they were rather gay.

No dnf for me. Hamilton told me I missed the cut for their 4 sponsored team riders for that season but then selected me to ride for their team in the state 100k teams time trial for them. I said not a chance, esp as McCullough was driving that train. 

Instead I was the neutral (lol) observer in your following team car with (Briz Blasters) Shane Norton. Two totally unbiased 😇 observers and also acting as team manager/driver and mechanics lol

Those Brizzy Tri Club jerseys were probably the reason I stayed with Ham Wheelers. White shirts with pink, yellow & blue bands.... yuk

Edited by Mike Del

AP    1,529
13 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Those Brizzy Tri Club jerseys were probably the reason I stayed with Ham Wheelers. White shirts with pink, yellow & blue bands.... yuk

That jersey had the dual purpose - you used them in bike races and then on the Bris Tri club float at the mardi gras B)

• Like 1

BigRig    79

2011 IMWA Busso for me. First time at this distance and a lot of unknowns as you would expect.A hot day (33-34c) and saw a lot of much fitter than myself go home in a ambulance. The recovery tent was full to brim with people on saline drips. I paced and plodded around the course to finish. Got back to the motel, yacked up all the coke I had drunk on the second half of the run, and face planted onto the bed, and remained there till the morning.2012 was just as hot but was much better prepared.