Rude Beef

Your 'hardest' race?

skel    215

Glasshouse 100km - thought I'd do around 14hrs or so -17 1/2 hour later.  All of the last 25km by myself run / walking (mostly) in the super dark forset.  Only got lost once, and realised pretty quickly that I couldn't see footprints on the ground - so back tracked the 5 minutes.  Felt like Bear Grylsis finding my way around with a few ribbon markers and a small map (lucky I have expectional map reading skills....seriously saved me...).  But I am detemrined, so not finishing wasn't an option.  And I didn't come last. :D

Then just under 48 hours later, jumped on a plane to Instanbul - that was NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

wombattri    21

Port Mac IM - pushed the bike way too hard, got to second climb up MFD and felt the legs go wobbly, stomach churn and sight go blurry. Was the closest I've ever been to passing out during a race, and thank god I made it to the top. Pulled myself together, made it into T2 and seriously thought about stopping. The vollie who helped was such a nice bloke, and gave me the encouragement needed to stand back up and start the run. Finished the race with a PB, but that's the deepest I've ever gone. 

And like Skel, 48 hours later - I was on a plane to the US.  NUTS!!!

Edited by wombattri

AP    1,529
14 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And what really capped the day off, was as soon as we finished, they made me put running shoes on and head off at nearly race pace. We only went 500m till we were out of site, then we all sat down and moaned, but we had copped that much shit from the other cyclists before the race, we had to show them we could beat most of them at their game, then go for a run after.

Those were the days - we were treated like aliens by the clicky cyclists - the only revenge was to beat them - I raced the individual pursuit around that time and beat the favourite (who'd won the previous year) I ended up with silver and he got bronze (I knocked him out in the semi final - man was he pissed :wallbash: a f----ing triathlete

Not much has hurt me as much as six foot track last 3km - or the last 3 laps of the pursuit - I'm sure I have hurt equally in 18 Kona races but I think something happens in your brain that erases the memory soon after the finish line :huh:

• Like 2

Bored@work    1,414
33 minutes ago, AP said:

Not much has hurt me as much as six foot track last 3km - or the last 3 laps of the pursuit - I'm sure I have hurt equally in 18 Kona races but I think something happens in your brain that erases the memory soon after the finish line :huh:

Wow you have raced Kona 18 times.  I didn't know you had raced it so many times.

• Like 1

Turtle    64

A ski half marathon in Norway. I seriously lost the will to live.  If I find my facebook post, I'll copy it over. Even the memory hurts.

• Like 2

dazmuzza    33

Tweed Coast Enduro this year was pretty hard for me. 

Hadn't trained enough. 10Kg overweight, burst eardrum, windy day, swimming into the tide plus boiling heat. Not great - but I still finished!

this_guy32    38

Long course would be IMUK last year. I got too cold on the bike and my back cramped up early on. Couldn't stay aero and even after 30km the pain was so bad I was considering chucking in the towel. Got in to T2 and then felt great running - day was done in 11:04, 4 mins slower than I wanted, but I was happy to just finish and never go back.

Shorter events - redlining MTB events are always really punishing. Only around 60 mins where I live, but mentally and physically draining.

Oompa Loompa    642
9 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Wow you have raced Kona 18 times.  I didn't know you had raced it so many times.

I didn't that either.  That is amazing. 

AP    1,529

I'm having a year off this year - look forward to ageing up net year B)

• Like 1

Andrew #1    812
14 hours ago, AP said:

What's your qualification strategy for next year? Busso or Port again. Or something slightly more exotic?

Slowman    234
16 hours ago, AP said:

You should do it, you'll age anyway :lol: well done on 18!

My hardest race was IM WA, it was just one of those horror races you eventually run into. I did something like 15:45. Didn't make the normal cut off of IMA (at the time), flat course what could go wrong you say? Well, just about everything, but the truth be told, the time I'd bought with one operation on my hip kind of expired about a month before the race. I know that because my training just seemed to start to go backwards and pain levels rose. Running was killing me. On the day though, it all unravelled on the bike probably almost at the beginning of the 2nd lap. On the run after 10km I started vomiting up everything. I had actually thought at the end of the bike I'd just stop and DNF there. Somehow I got this idea things would be better on the run, and they were for 10km until I started throwing up. From there I have no idea how I finished...it was just a death march of a stubborn old fool :lol: I think the only reason I finished was Dave Allen looked at me at about 10km and said "just keep walking don't even think about running again if you want to finish!" He was right anytime I started running I started vomiting and then my balance seemed to be "flickering" :lol: that's when I knew I had to walk the rest of the way. 32km is a bloody long way to walk.

• Like 4

Flanman    1,090

2002 IMOZ. 5 flat tyres, a broken front wheel and damaged my knee. I rode 100 kms with 1 leg and had to walk a few hills on the bike as I couldn't put any pressure on my right knee. I remember being passed by Waldo and Macca - I had done 80 kms and they had finished 180 kms. I sat in the gutter for 5 mins crying trying to come to grips with all the problems I had that day. I then ran the flats of the marathon and had to walk the hills (either up or down). The only thing that got me across the line in just under 15 hours was the funds I was raising for Camp Quality. It took me about 3 months to feel like I achieved something. The physical pain was bad but the emotional fight was enormous  

FM

• Like 3

Rimmer    316
On 10/07/2017 at 5:36 AM, Turtle said:

A ski half marathon in Norway. I seriously lost the will to live.  If I find my facebook post, I'll copy it over. Even the memory hurts.

What's not to love about Norwegian XC ski racing? Hard as hell sport, but beautiful and cold and amazing people .... everyone positive and no-one arrogant or conceited.

Ayto    336

All races are hard, especially when one is not a natural, gifted runner however my hardest race by far was one that was more mental than physical. 70.3 Geelong 2010.

Less than 12 months earlier my marriage had broken down and ended, I spent 8 months of that time living in the family home whilst my former wife continued her new relationship with her new fella. The first 3 months of that period was spent recuperating from a shoulder re-co, the period thereafter with depression and the whole time hating my job and my life.

15kg later and on zero training I decided I was going to do the race to a) complete the race 3 years in a row (aim was to do 10!) and b ) show my kids that you can do anything you set your mind to.

I had only moved out of the family home 8 weeks or so earlier, still hadn't found a space of my own as was house sitting for various friends, and just felt lost. Did the race with a photo of my kids taped the the stem of my bike and couldn't look at it without breaking into tears.  Carried the same photo for the entire run and the tears continued.

Crossed the line in 6.47 tired and emotional and was just mentally wiped.

• Like 7

AP    1,529
8 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

What's your qualification strategy for next year? Busso or Port again. Or something slightly more exotic?

Thinking of Malaysia - even though I'm still in 65-69 till Christmas - I thought it would be good to get qualified early so it still gives me a second chance in case of illness, injury or a mechanical - my daughter will very likely race Malaysia as well, she's close to qualification and is working well B) 

• Like 1

oldschool69#2    124

Three come to mind for me .

The first one was when I was a teenager and all the wimpy runners used to put shit on the poor old triathlete kid and nothing is better than beating runners as a triathlete lol.So they the old fart runners and some younger ones where putting shit on me that id never run sub 15min for 5k bla bla .So long story short I was running late to the track forgot my running shorts (wore my king gee work shorts) still covered in saw dust still coping shit from them Clocked a 14.38.

My inside thighs are still chafed! Physically pushed my body hard that night.

The second was a Race in Saint John De Mont in France oly distance pancake flat course but I have never been in wind so strong in my life I have pics somewhere of the transition area coming into the run and piles of sand built up over shoes etc farrk it was windy you felt like you were walking when you ran into the head wind.It was such a bloody tough day.

The third was Foster ironman i Stopped racing and training and was happily working away and surfing heaps my best mate and a couple other guys were racing last minute I got conned into it Worst farrking decision of my life to mental get through that was bloody hard I walked the marathon with my mate it was funny but all we wanted to do was get to the finish so we could get on the cans .The day started ok because I could swim  I got carried away... the ride was long the run longer! 

Said id never do one again! Ive stayed true to my word.

• Like 2

The Customer    1,277

Kona is horrible and hot and windy - everyone knows. Apart from that, had a near death experience in 2011 on the Alpe d'Huez long course. Little bit of cloud cover down at T1 - made the worse decision ever to just wear a sleeveless trisuit - no gloves, socks or vest. By the time we got up into the mountain passes at almost 2000m it was teeming with rain and sleet. Would've been close to zero degrees. Froze on the descent down to the start of the Alpe d'Huez climb and couldn't use my hands anymore so had to hop off and knock the gears on to the granny with my elbow (road bike). Managed to warm up a little on the climb but still had the 22km run up on the mountain in the rain. Running stupid fast to keep warm, somehow managed to hold on and have one of the best races of my life. Got some race photos on the run where my skin is bright pink from the cold. 

• Like 2

Go Easy    1,170

I don't really have a 'hardest' race, I just Go Easy!! B)

But if I'm racing then yes, short is harder than long.

• Like 1

RunBrettRun    1,353
10 hours ago, AP said:

Thinking of Malaysia - even though I'm still in 65-69 till Christmas - I thought it would be good to get qualified early so it still gives me a second chance in case of illness, injury or a mechanical - my daughter will very likely race Malaysia as well, she's close to qualification and is working well B) 

Malaysia is on my plan too.  Might see you there.

• Like 2

skel    215
On 11 July 2017 at 5:14 PM, Flanman said:

2002 IMOZ. 5 flat tyres, a broken front wheel and damaged my knee. I rode 100 kms with 1 leg and had to walk a few hills on the bike as I couldn't put any pressure on my right knee. I remember being passed by Waldo and Macca - I had done 80 kms and they had finished 180 kms. I sat in the gutter for 5 mins crying trying to come to grips with all the problems I had that day. I then ran the flats of the marathon and had to walk the hills (either up or down). The only thing that got me across the line in just under 15 hours was the funds I was raising for Camp Quality. It took me about 3 months to feel like I achieved something. The physical pain was bad but the emotional fight was enormous  

FM

Yep, 2002 was my first.  I was at 90km riding out of town and Macca and crew were finishing...  I had never felt so low or embarrassed, but it was my first really had absolutely no idea.  The run was hard, but liking running more I knew I would finish under the 15.30hr cut off....I did 15:15hr. Everyone thought I wouldn't ...... Bit of a told you so moment. 

• Like 2

Andrew #1    812

I reckon that one of the hardest races I did was the 400M at the school athletics carnival back in 1986. Due to a nightmare scheduling I'd run the 10,000M on Friday (Jason Shortis won, I was in 2nd place until 9.5km when I bizarrely got a stitch and couldn't 'go' with the the next two guys and ended up 4th (41 minutes). On the day of the actual carnival I ran the 100M, 200M (3rd places in each), competed in the long jump before the 800M - which I fancied. Blew up at 600M and ended up running second last. I knew I had nothing in the tank for the 400M but the points competition between sports houses was very close so I had to find 'something'. I ended up running 5th in 67 seconds - about 8 seconds slower than what I'd been doing as repeats in training. Felt like I had the piano on the back the whole way, but the 4 points I earned proved decisive in the house championship points race ...

IronJimbo    484

1997 Gold Coast Half Ironman at Robina

The longest race I'd done previously was Kurnell.  Nowhere near enough training, and no idea whatsoever about nutrition, pacing or any of that crap.  Just thought I'd have a go

According to my grandfather's weather station it was 37 degrees and 80% humidity on the day, and I was out there for 7:20.  But I got there eventually

• Like 2

Slowman    234
1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

1997 Gold Coast Half Ironman at Robina

The longest race I'd done previously was Kurnell.  Nowhere near enough training, and no idea whatsoever about nutrition, pacing or any of that crap.  Just thought I'd have a go

According to my grandfather's weather station it was 37 degrees and 80% humidity on the day, and I was out there for 7:20.  But I got there eventually

So you got your money's worth!

Old saying in ironman and long distance racing...if you having a bad race, eat and drink everything so you at least get your money's worth :lol:

• Like 1

Turtle    64
On 7/10/2017 at 0:36 PM, Turtle said:

Found it!  :

OMG. Whilst many of my buddies were in Busselton doing the 1/2IM, I attempted my first 1/2 X-country SKI Marathon. With a dodgy ankle (which requires surgery in a few weeks), my doctor telling me I'm borderline anaemic, and having only been on skis 4 times this year...what exactly was I thinking? Started off positively...in last group and up the first hill dead last (after a nice fall). Scenery was stunning. Blue sky and sunshine (which was to later play havoc with the snow conditions)...tra la la, this Turtle was happy to pootle along in her normal turtle style. Met some lovely people along the way. Was happy to see the 53km'ers join us - so that I didn't look like REALLY last 1f609.png;-)Continued on merrily. Then the last aid station. Began to lose interest...6km to go. Some very 'helpful' Norwegian suggested I put crystal wax (?) on my skis. I obliged (what would I know...this wax business is serious stuff). Big mistake. Headed out of the aid station to venture across a not so frozen lake (yes, poles hit water a couple of times...hello?). Then the wax. For those not initiated...xcountry skiing has a lot to do with the wax you use and Norwegians love to spend hours discussing the wax to use depending on the snow conditions. Well, this great crystal whatever just made the snow stick to my skis so had to stop at the top of each hill, take the skis off, get the snow off, skis on...blah blah. By now, I was losing the will to live. Couldn't just admire the scenery as the fog rolled in and well, it was getting dark at 4pm anyway..as it does. But ta da. Made it! Was interviewed at the end (cos they think I'm a crazy Aussie) AND....just found out I wasn't last at all. Came 91st out of 95 in my age group! Yes...beat Norwegians who are literally born with skis on their feet. Feel knackered now, sporting some bruises and foot is a shocker but so glad I participated. That's what life's about. Carpe Diem x

Aid station.jpg

pre race prep.jpg

pre race warmer.jpg

skiing.jpg

start line 2.jpg

start line 3.jpg

Start line.jpg

• Like 4