FatPom

Tenby Long Course Weekend is here....

FatPom    2,154

...nearly. Packing the car Thurs night and heading Mum's for a overnight stop and then we are off to Tenby Friday morning. My sister is also coming and meeting us there, as 'luck' would have it, my sister and Mum are in a different hotel to me:whistling:  Mrs FP has the good sense to stay at home:lol:

Reports of jellyfish abound (same as 2015, (hefty little buggers) for the swim Fri night.  Chance of an early storm on the bike on Sat but weather is generally forecast warm/windy.

I have a ton of testing to do this weekend with equipment and nutrition as the last  weeks have been pretty much a write off due to my hip/back incident 3 weeks ago. It feels ok now but not sure I've pushed any boundaries.  Been doing a load of swimming generally this year but not sure if will show any improvement, lets hope so.  More interested in how the new wettie/trisuit combo goes.

Bike: New TT bike, new helmet, new trisuit and an unpracticed nutrition strategy for the likely duration of the bike. What could possibly go wrong? :lol: The bike has a shed load of climbing, when it I did it on a roadie in 2015 it was with 34/29, this year is a P3 with 36/28, so we'll see if I'm any stronger!

Run:  Have no idea now. Longest run prior to 3 wks ago was 90 mins with a strategy of 8 on and 2 off, built up from 6 on and 1 off.  Various distance options open to me but always the option of bailing altogether. Apart from aqua running, haven't ran a step in 3 weeks.

Whatever happens, can't bloody wait B)

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 5

pieman    359

Given we appear to be a similar morphology, I am looking forward to you putting your p3 up for sale on Monday... :lol:

• Like 2

FatPom    2,154
5 minutes ago, pieman said:

Given we appear to be a similar morphology, I am looking forward to you putting your p3 up for sale on Monday... :lol:

Here's the profile, so I'm guessing I'll be selling it waaaay before Monday:lol:

5lt47r.jpg

Rimmer    316

Good luck mate. Kind of glad for you you're not joining me on Sunday morning for the sufferfest.

Take care and keep the rubber side down!

roxii    3,944

Good luck mate looks like a fun weekend hope they can replicate it here. 

• Like 1

FatPom    2,154
1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

Good luck mate. Kind of glad for you you're not joining me on Sunday morning for the sufferfest.

Take care and keep the rubber side down!

oops, I was meant to let you know about that, sorry mate!

Flanman    1,090

Enjoy Ian. I have watched the race online over the years. It is always a tough course so enjoy the spoils during and after. 

I was really wanting to do Emo's equivalent later this year down south but will miss it. 

Race report a must. 

FM

• Like 1

monkie    132

Emo and his team are heading over to see how they do it. Very tempted by Jervis Bay later this year for my birthday weekend!

roxii    3,944

I told Matthew Evans from LCW that you were our Transitions UK correspondent and would be reporting back to us when I aw him at Huskie 

if you track him down remind him and he might look after you. 

• Like 1

roxii    3,944

Just got this SMS from Emo  with Fat Pom 

IMG_6837.JPG

• Like 2

FatPom    2,154

Emo said I wasn't fat, what a nice chap :lol:

swin in a couple hours time. Busy stickering bike and self and a zillion other things now. Pics later.

Edited by FatPom

FatPom    2,154

Swim is done. Didn't drown! Atmosphere was amazing and great support from family and Emo and the crowd in general.

Swam first lap in 41 but took a kick to the face which weirdly sent a shooting pain up my calf! Second lap was slower, hard to sight and I lost some form. Total time 1.32 by my watch.

after the last few weeks, I'll take it:whistling:

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

roxii    3,944

Bloody hell... skinny Pom! 

Good work mate 

• Like 1

Andrew #1    812
2 hours ago, roxii said:

Bloody hell... skinny Pom! 

Good work mate 

Exactly what I was thinking. Well done and best wishes for the bike later today!

FatPom    2,154

Bike is done. 7hrs30 by my watch. 

Holy hell I'd forgotten how hard this course is. The crowds were great through the little towns and Saundersfoot Hill has a magic all of its own.

Generally went ok. Stayed in aero on the long climb drags and tried not to hit the red too many times. Equipment choices seem fine. I need a new cage on my BTA as on rough descents the bottle wants to jump out. I had to hold it on a few.

This course absolutely destroys you but I tried to ride within myself as it is such a hard course to get any rythym on. All done on RPE but pretty sure I got it just about right for me. Amazing how many people came back to me later on.

nutrition seemed to work but looking at my tri suit, probably need to up the sodium.

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

• Like 5

roxii    3,944

Considering a few weeks ago you were crawling round the floor unable to stand up that's a cracking effort mate. 

• Like 2

surfer101    173
1 hour ago, roxii said:

Considering a few weeks ago you were crawling round the floor unable to stand up that's a cracking effort mate. 

Yep, agree. Well done Skinny FP, looks like a great weekend. Any flare up with your back?? 

FatPom    2,154
5 hours ago, truck said:

You don't really look as though you enjoyed that!:lol:

That was pre pizza, the post pizza face was much happier :lol:

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Cheers mate. I'm going for a test jog in a minute and make a decision on any kind of run possibility. This calf is a worry, it was ok until that swim incident, weird!

1 hour ago, surfer101 said:

Yep, agree. Well done Skinny FP, looks like a great weekend. Any flare up with your back?? 

Thanks Surfer. Back was pretty painful, been sore since my hip injury three weeks ago. Probably sat up a bit more on second lap to relieve. It's soreness and aching more than searing pain though. My shoulder blade was killing me after a few hours but that seems to happen on the longer rides these days anyway.

• Like 1

FatPom    2,154

Just tried 2 sets of 8min 'run'  2min walk. Went ok but I reckon I'm about 7min/km pace when I am running. If by some miracle I made it round, I'd likely miss the cut off for the 4th LCW Athlete medal ( would need to go sub 6hr).

and it's raining and I wish I'd brought some thinner socks.

this is a pre brekkie post, hopefully I will better about after filling my face :whistling:

• Like 3

Cat Lady    280

Definitely going to have to change your name !!! Have fun out there