Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
A2K

My first new TT thread

49 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, A2K said:

Like this one? $4,299 including some decent looking wheels plus $179 for postage although that includes a bike box that maybe could be used for traveling in future so would save me buying one. Then there's the issue of sizing as I'm 175cm tall I'm right on the border between 2 sizes.

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/triathlon/speedmax/speedmax-cf-9-0.html

That seems like a good deal, but then are you going to use those wheels to train or race on? Too fancy for training, not deep enough to race on (arguably). I reckon you're better off getting el cheapo training wheels and spending the $$ saved on race wheels.

1 hour ago, zed said:

Be interesting to see what others think, but IMO, you're going to find very little difference in performance between say a $3K Cervelo P2 and a $10K Cervelo P5, similarly you'll find very little difference between a $3k disc and a $700 Renn disc. I base that on what I've experienced and observed with mates, other competitors and also what I've read.

Plenty of people start off with a budget TT bike, jump to a much more expensive model and see very little, often negligible gains. So don't get caught into thinking you need to spend big. My base model TM02 ($3K) has the same frame as the top of the range TM01 ($11k). 

How did you get that for $3k it is well over that on the Bicycle express website? 

1 hour ago, pieman said:

How did you get that for $3k it is well over that on the Bicycle express website? 

They had it advertised for $2800 at Bike Exchange for two weeks, then it went back up to $3999 when I was ready to buy it, I phoned them up and no-one seemed to know anything about the discounted price, I wonder if it was a mistake? Although one of the guys I spoke to mentioned the wholesaler had discounted them because the 2018 models were due out in a few months and they wanted to get rid of stock, but then the price went up again? Anyway after a number of phone calls they agreed, a little bit reluctantly, to sell it to me at that price (3K inc shipping). I didn't ask many questions as I didn't want them to change their minds! He reckoned they were making very little money on it.. if anyone is keen PM me and I can give you the details of the main guy I spoke to and you could try the same argument? They were really good to deal with and very professional, despite the confusion over the price. 

Edited by zed

4 hours ago, zed said:

My base model TM02 ($3K) has the same frame as the top of the range TM01 ($11k). 

Same shape but made with different carbon and a totally different layout of the carbon

that supposedly makes it a more comfortable ride while making the bike stiffer and more agile 

thats if you believe the marketing that is 

im always getting new bike , and I never begrudge anyone buying or spending what they want

it's pretty simple if you love the bike you will ride it more

if you ride more then that's only a good thing IMO

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, zed said:

That seems like a good deal, but then are you going to use those wheels to train or race on? Too fancy for training, not deep enough to race on (arguably). I reckon you're better off getting el cheapo training wheels and spending the $$ saved on race wheels.

Again following on from my post above 

I bought new 404s for my canyon as it came with "training wheels"

i now train completely on the 404s and have a choice of 404 thubbies , 404 clinchers , 303 clinchers (Hawaii UM) and a Caden disk set and a 404 zipp 900 disk set all for racing

if I'm feeling a bit low and not motivated I'll wack the disk set on amd head out for a cruise or a full on smash feast

why spend money on good wheels and not use em

they are arwsome to ride 

1 person likes this

I even have carbon rims for my trainer bike

image.jpg

2 people like this

Now you're just showing off :lol: What do you reckon about the wheels that come with the 4 grand Canyon, are they comparable to Caden ones that cost $1,600?

2 people like this

That's a very arwsome bike for the price https://www.canyon.com/en-au/triathlon/speedmax/speedmax-cf-9-0.html

ive never really looked at them before 

47 minutes ago, A2K said:

Now you're just showing off :lol: What do you reckon about the wheels that come with the 4 grand Canyon, are they comparable to Caden ones that cost $1,600?

Those wheels are very good , super fast , I had a set when they used to be the top of the line model I bought off Simon Gerrans 

very very reliable rims as they are just a carbon cover over the alloy rim making them aero and super tough 

the cadens would be lighter , but that's the only thing the cadens would have over them

I must be getting old, all I can think of is gees that coin would buy a pretty good ride on mower

1 person likes this

Just now, Cottoneyes said:

I must be getting old, all I can think of is gees that coin would buy a pretty good ride on mower

my ride ons are $25k

u cant get decent ride on for $4k

1 hour ago, ironpo said:

Same shape but made with different carbon and a totally different layout of the carbon

that supposedly makes it a more comfortable ride while making the bike stiffer and more agile 

thats if you believe the marketing that is 

Gotcha. Post edited.

4 minutes ago, ironpo said:

my ride ons are $25k

u cant get decent ride on for $4k

But you can get some for the $10K + some people talk about spending on their bikes, good enough for an old guy like me with a pot belly dreaming of 5 - 10 acres

Just now, Cottoneyes said:

But you can get some for the $10K + some people talk about spending on their bikes, good enough for an old guy like me with a pot belly dreaming of 5 - 10 acres

sh#t yeh

ill sell u a good second hand one for $6k

if u want a good zero turn that will last 9this is the key) for your ten acres you need to spend at least 8-10K

So the 1k I spent was about right considering some of it was held together with bungee cords?

Sorry for the OT  A2k...

On 15 June 2017 at 1:56 PM, A2K said:

Like this one? $4,299 including some decent looking wheels plus $179 for postage although that includes a bike box that maybe could be used for traveling in future so would save me buying one. Then there's the issue of sizing as I'm 175cm tall I'm right on the border between 2 sizes.

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/triathlon/speedmax/speedmax-cf-9-0.html

I just bought the next model up from this. The one with Ultegra Di2 and Zipp 606. Beautiful bike and Canyon were excellent and simple to deal with. The only problem I have with the bike is that the recharging port on the junction box  is a little hard to access inside the storage compartment.

I think that you'd be hard pressed to get a better spec'ed bike for that money than a Canyon.....

3 people like this

2 hours ago, Buggeracup said:

I just bought the next model up from this. The one with Ultegra Di2 and Zipp 606. Beautiful bike and Canyon were excellent and simple to deal with. The only problem I have with the bike is that the recharging port on the junction box  is a little hard to access inside the storage compartment.

I think that you'd be hard pressed to get a better spec'ed bike for that money than a Canyon.....

Yep

2 hours ago, Buggeracup said:

Was it easy enough to put together? And the integrated headset fiddly for packinhg/unpacking? I'm liking the look of this bike so it's definitely in the running.

22 minutes ago, A2K said:

Was it easy enough to put together? And the integrated headset fiddly for packinhg/unpacking? I'm liking the look of this bike so it's definitely in the running.

Doesn't this one have the standard stem?

2 hours ago, ironpo said:

Doesn't this one have the standard stem?

It says Tange IS22AE-SCT integrated. But i could be a dumbhead and looking in the wrong place.

1 hour ago, A2K said:

It says Tange IS22AE-SCT integrated. But i could be a dumbhead and looking in the wrong place.

Ok

yes it's still like a standard stem , it's just intergated with the bento box and front end ect , so it's still very easy to build /remove for travel 

16 hours ago, A2K said:

It's not a totally integrated headset. It was already essentially installed and I just had to move them from the folded position and tighten into place. It comes with a torque wrench to get everything set up and it was very easy although some of the Allen keys were a little fiddle to access. Importantly, the brakes are already connected and so is the Di2 connections. It was really just a case of install the wheels, pedals (which it doesn't come with), seat post and the bars and it's good to go.

You won't be disappointed!

2 people like this

7 hours ago, Buggeracup said:

It's not a totally integrated headset. It was already essentially installed and I just had to move them from the folded position and tighten into place. It comes with a torque wrench to get everything set up and it was very easy although some of the Allen keys were a little fiddle to access. Importantly, the brakes are already connected and so is the Di2 connections. It was really just a case of install the wheels, pedals (which it doesn't come with), seat post and the bars and it's good to go.

You won't be disappointed!

This

There is a canyon speedmax cf slx 8 on triathlon Marketplace for $7300 , I got him down to $6,300 (I am not buying it but thought I would see what price I could get to and post here) - size medium 

1 person likes this

On 16/06/2017 at 3:16 PM, Cottoneyes said:

Similar - but I'm dreaming of 2x2 weeks on the South Island in Nov & April watching big boof golden brown trout heads pop out to devour mayflies.

My 2006 P3 will see me through till I'm 90 for racing.

Sold the $4k Cervelo Soloist training bike, now getting around on my daughters $800 SubZero, can't really tell the difference :huh:

1 person likes this