Peter

Le Tour - sherwen liggett out. Robbie Keenan IN

48 posts in this topic

I think it's a cracking idea. Matt is a world class commentator and him a Robbie work well together. 

On 15/06/2017 at 4:21 PM, dazmuzza said:

they need Roy and HG doing the tour

I think they could certainly liven up some of the more boring stages where nothing really happens until the end. Their wit could certainly reach more than just the cycling audience too and perhaps spread the love of cycling as a spectator sport to those who've never ridden a bike.

On 13/06/2017 at 5:47 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Absolutely awesome news for those 2. They mesh so well together. I wonder though in 30 years whether everyone will be lambasting them and wishing a new pair would come along. I'll bet they hope so.

On 13/06/2017 at 5:59 PM, roxii said:

Keenan's cycling knowledge is ridiculously good. Some of the facts and stats that he can pull up is amazing. At the Zwift event in Sydney Paul craft was hitting him with obscure riders and races and he nailed everything. Not too sure on his personality but I assume that is why Robbie is 2nd banana to add a bit if colour. 

Well that is precisely the point: relevance! Liggett and Sherwin no longer have any relevant experience as competitive cyclists and Liggett was so far on the wrong side of the LA fiasco it was like he was a knowing part of the conspiracy of silence that had kept the dark side of cycling continuing at full pace. I'm afraid he lost my respect and probably many others. Again, he's not to blame but it's just another symptom of the time being right for a change of guard.

1 person likes this

Apparently one of them took their removal in a much more classy manor than the other.

Le Taste is a useful filler to allow coverage to start at 10 when the live slot does't start until 1030.  If they secure earlier satellite time then they delay Le Taste.  

Personally, I find it an interesting travelogue.  One of the true joys of France is the regional food. Especially the cheeses. 

3 people like this

12 minutes ago, tortoise said:

Le Taste is a useful filler to allow coverage to start at 10 when the live slot does't start until 1030.  If they secure earlier satellite time then they delay Le Taste.  

Personally, I find it an interesting travelogue.  One of the true joys of France is the regional food. Especially the cheeses. 

I tend to agree but I can barely understand him :lol:. Then again I can barely understand Manu either

1 hour ago, Notsofast said:

I tend to agree but I can barely understand him :lol:. Then again I can barely understand Manu either

Same. 

2 hours ago, Notsofast said:

They both speak the Queen's English compared to that bloke on the show with Amanda Keller and the Vet

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, Parkside said:

They both speak the Queen's English compared to that bloke on the show with Amanda Keller and the Vet

And they're all easy compared to Sean Kelly on Eurosport.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

You are lucky you don't have to deal with the Kelly/Hatch combo. You'd be better off having commentary in sign language.

I reckon a good thing. I emailed SBS last year to switch to the Australian commentators, who would have thought :)

Cycling fan here. Just some feedback that many of us would prefer you
stick with the Australian commentary team - who do a great job - for
the whole race rather than switch to Paul Sherwin and Phil Ligget for
the last hour or so. Can understand that the non-cycling,
dreaming-of-France TdF viewing fans might prefer P&P and the English
accent, but time to back the home team all the way.

Edited by longshot
1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, longshot said:

I reckon a good thing. I emailed SBS last year to switch to the Australian commentators, who would have thought :)

I suspect ( but don't know) that it was more to do with ITV4 dumping P&P. Last year ITV4 ( which is the biggest TDF broadcaster in UK) went to Ned Boulting  and David Millar and IIRC it was Gary Imlach and Chris Boardman doing the pre show and throw.

Sounds like the dumping of P&P has opened up local commentary ops.

It will be an ASO decision seeing as they seem to be doing a large part of the world. I know Keenan always thought it would be a gradual change.

11 minutes ago, Naut said:

It will be an ASO decision seeing as they seem to be doing a large part of the world. I know Keenan always thought it would be a gradual change.

ASO don't have any influence over commentary as far as I know, they only set the access fee for LBR.

LBR yes, but this is the International feed.

7 minutes ago, Naut said:

LBR yes, but this is the International feed.

That doesn't add up. If ASO set the international feed and commentary how come we had Millar and Boulting and you guys had P&P last year. This will be our 2nd year without P&P

You don't have to take the International commentary, it's available though. P&P had started before we crossed to them.

That's my understanding anyway. I could be wrong.

17 minutes ago, Naut said:

You don't have to take the International commentary, it's available though. P&P had started before we crossed to them.

That's my understanding anyway. I could be wrong.

Oh I see, thanks. I read way back that viewing in the UK ( maybe globally?) is over 50% non cyclist and whatever P&P didn't do well, they absolutely nailed the the local colour script and prompts.

will be interesting to see how the figures go. Earlier this year, Eurosport had an Aussie current rider fill in for some gaps when Kelly was away, I can't for the life of me remember who it was but he was great.

Edited by FatPom

Keenan was always doing the commentary before we crossed. 

If you watched online he was already going and then at 10:30 on the dot Paul and Phil would begin. 

I just hope Matt and Robbie are actually over there and not in the studio back here. 

I will miss both of them. 

FM

1 person likes this

Tipping they will be over there.  Robbie has been in Europe for the last few weeks holidays around Italy etc & picking up his new Colnago.   (thanks to my instagram research)

On 2017-6-19 at 1:57 PM, Dave T said:

Don't get me started on Sean Kelly and his "general class-ment". It's either general classification or classement général you imbecile!

On 13/06/2017 at 6:15 PM, CEM said:

A bit unrelated...but a few weeks ago I was standing next to Mat Keenan outside our local Bunnings while our respective kids were on the free jumping castle there.

At least Phil would have given you a full and thorough history of the castle.

5 people like this

4 hours ago, Paul Every said:

At least Phil would have given you a full and thorough history of the castle.

That's the funniest thing I've read on here for months.