Peter

Le Tour - sherwen liggett out. Robbie Keenan IN

48 posts in this topic

Hopefully this is the end of so many mistakes and repetition of each other within seconds. 

The British pair will continue to front the American NBC coverage of the Tour. But their diminished roles mean a massive opportunity for Australian pair Matthew Keenan and Robbie McEwen.

Keenan and McEwen, the former sprint ace, will front the SBS commentary from start to finish of each stage.

The two Australians will also have new roles as commentators for the Tour’s English-language international broadcast feed.

“I’m pinching myself ... Phil is an iconic figure in sports broadcasting,” Keenan told AAP.

Absolutely awesome news for those 2. They mesh so well together. I wonder though in 30 years whether everyone will be lambasting them and wishing a new pair would come along. I'll bet they hope so.

4 people like this

Keenan's cycling knowledge is ridiculously good. Some of the facts and stats that he can pull up is amazing. At the Zwift event in Sydney Paul craft was hitting him with obscure riders and races and he nailed everything. Not too sure on his personality but I assume that is why Robbie is 2nd banana to add a bit if colour. 

I like Keenan but he's a guy that definitely needs a partner. We sometimes get him on his own before the throw and his continuity is not good.

Think yourselves lucky you don't have Rob Hatch!

A bit unrelated...but a few weeks ago I was standing next to Mat Keenan outside our local Bunnings while our respective kids were on the free jumping castle there. I wondered if anyone would come up to talk with him, but no one did (including me!). 

Have met and ridden with Keenan a few times, he is a cracking bloke. It is surreal when he talks to you while riding, it's like he is commentating the ride.

Have heard him talk about his own cycling career and it was quite entertaining.

Please tell me Gabriel and Taste of Le Tour stays though??? 

Finally - about bloody time.  This is the next thing that needs to go - if I wanted a bloody cooking show..

17 hours ago, Waza said:

I actually met him recently and he is confirmed again for this year (filming already finished!)

who cares who does the commentary. I have to listen to it in french. Will be there as normal :)

That should get rid of that French git and but Peter Russell Clark in.

5 hours ago, Aidan said:

I actually met him recently and he is confirmed again for this year (filming already finished!)

Noooooooooooo

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, symo said:

Finally - about bloody time.  This is the next thing that needs to go - if I wanted a bloody cooking show..

Most of the time I record it & watch the race the next morning, so I can just FF thru that crap.

You people are philistines. What's wrong with a bit of culture once a year with magnificent recipes being thrown together in a chatswood apartment.

I can't believe we will have to open the suitcase of courage and dance on the pedals while welcoming a new guard of commentators in the sport of professional cycle racing taking over from the heads of state. Will McEwen mangle the language trying to describe every chateau? Will keenan put us all to sleep? Is there a Keenan-McEwen bingo sheet yet?

Edited by Parkside
2 people like this

I enjoyed the commentary by Sherwin and PHIL, but I think they knew last year that their time was up. It's good that there is an option to replace them. Keenan has done well during the races he has covered and partnered well with McKenzie and McEwan. 

For mine, I would rather the three of them be given the role to cover the tour. Robbins good but he's not a facts and figures man like Keenan and McKenzie is a mix of both. Not sure what McKenzie is up to for the tour. Anybody know?

Doesn't McKenzie run a cycle tour business or something during the TdF? That's why they only cross to him for brief comment most days.

2 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

they need Roy and HG doing the tour

That would be the pits..... they had there time.

I reckon Ligget and Sherwin will be sorely missed. They add more colour and history than any one will deliver.

My only criticism of Keenan is that he sounds like he's reading from a script.

I've love what the two Ps have done in the past but I think the time is right for the final sprint. It won't be the same, but it will be the Tour. Life moves on and I reckon Robbie and Keenan go OK.

As for Taste of the Tour, at least it's short...

I love falling asleep when back in Aus with Phil and Paul in the background. I always wake with 10 k to go from a stage, then have trouble the next morning remembering who won..I am going to miss the building chat and Phil's love of all things bird's including the Eagle farm he lost his shit over in excitement one year...They have been with me for over 30 years since I started the sport...:(

Edited by Chuckie M

On 6/15/2017 at 9:03 PM, Bored@work said:

Taste of the Tour is awesome. We need more cooking shows in tv

Not during a cycling show.  Times when up late to watch and wanting to watch 30-60 mins, craps me off wasting 15-20 mins on the starting pre-amble and the cooking stuff.  Want to watch cooking at that time, I say tape Masterchef and play it back just before the tour starts if so inclined.

1 person likes this