Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trifun

2018 ITU WTC - Gold Coast

32 posts in this topic

So TA have released the selection races and policy (and six weeks early than they had promised :) ).

A ten race series eh?

Cashing?

Best three to count, March next year is going to be busy for some.....and two on the same day (Victor Harbour & Mooloolaba, where a first in an AG would equate to a 14th place in the sunshine) - some savvy people might do well to fly south after studying the poinstcore....

maybe I'll give it one more go

1 person likes this

That's probably because some of the "Early Bird" entry fees finish on 31 May.

Might do some of the races to keep my options opened -- just on case

Still unconfirmed though if it will be possible to race both Sprint & Olympic distance at the Gold Coast so until that's confirmed it will be difficult to plan which events to race.

Nor have they decided if the sprint is drafting or not , just hoping they drop this stupid drafting for the race

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Pineapple said:

Nor have they decided if the sprint is drafting or not , just hoping they drop this stupid drafting for the race

If the sprint is going to be drafting I know which of the 2 I'll try and qualify for. Sprint all the way!!!

Edited by ashley_s

There is no info on the site re sprint being drafting or not, I emailed TA who responded say not sure yet

Someone asked on the Facebook page and they said they were awaiting a decision from itu

1 person likes this

If the Sprint was a drafting race -- then you can't use your TT bike ?

2 hours ago, Youngy2 said:

If the Sprint was a drafting race -- then you can't use your TT bike ?

Correct it has to be a standard roadie.

Sprint race with drafting for age groupers = carnage. 

Make sure your insurance is paid up and then take extra cover.

Why the negative thoughts on drafting for sprint? 

Its just a different format that now has been around for years , it can be bloody hard racing with tactics if you can get organized. 

If I race I don't care either way it goes , drafting would suit me better .

You also find the same guys that win non drafting would win drafting as well in my opinion. 

Time will tell i guess.

1 person likes this

I like the drafting in the sprint. 

Basically if you swim well, you'll have a great race. 

The thing is, if the final is draft legal, then the qualifiers need to be too. 

2 people like this

Yes you need to be able to swim .but if your in the second pack and they are organized its possible to catch up.

They definitely need to separate the age groups though.

I did a draft race last year and wasn't swimming that good at the time I still lead my age out in the water but they sent 45 years and under all together .After the initial made scramble in the first 200 of bashing and pushing for feet with 16 _20 year olds memories started flooding back ..lol

But I got a unfair advantage because of swim ability compared to other guys in the category then you have the younger ones pushing the pace on the bike as well again a bit unfair I think.

So I would hope they break the racing down into categories .but I guess you need the numbers to do this , tough one ?

I did the draft legal sprint at Cozumel last September and these are my thoughts.

It was a terrible location for the swim. The currents on the west coast of Cozumel can be strong and unpredictable and caused major issues for both the sprint and OD. Also with the way the course was laid out it was easy for people to cut at least one can either deliberately or by accident. Assuming the swim at Goldie next year is in the Broadwater I don't think currents/tide will be an issue but I hope they lay out the course in a way to stop course cutting or at least police it to force competitors around the correct course and/or penalise though that do cut it.

The bike course was terrible. On a positive note it was a single out and back which I think is the only way to run this type of event. Out and back twice would be unmanageable trying to keep the age groups separate. But the road was very narrow and even with the age groups separated there were instances where the faster competitors from a later wave would catch the slower wave before and have to try and get around them. On a narrow road like that it's lucky there weren't any head on collisions with competitors having to cross over the centre line to overtake large slow groups. That won't be an issue at the Goldie if it's around Southport as the road is good and wide but I think it HAS to be a single out and back unless they want to close the road for the whole day and separate the age groups by large margins.

The run was stinking hot. But that's Cozumel in September and not something to complain about :lol: The Goldie in September should be perfect.

As for the safety of draft legal I did see at least half a dozen competitors after the race with bark off but I don't know the circumstances. I didn't see or hear of any big pile ups but can't say for sure if that happened. Having said that I enjoyed it and rode with a group of about 12-15 old blokes at 40 kph which got the heart rate going that's for sure :lol:

Draft legal or not I'll be aiming to qualify.

2 people like this

The sprint course at GC will probably be the same as 09 2 laps, how long would it take to run all the ages as it is in no way fair if you have a draft legal event  to sit in a bunch of a different age group, if as everyone always brings up the subject that you draft in bike races you can not sit in a different grade or age group you are dq"d . Totally unfair to come out behind out of the water and sit on a different age group that takes you up to those who swam hard and are riding with their age group

3 people like this

On 24/05/2017 at 10:30 PM, Pineapple said:

The sprint course at GC will probably be the same as 09 2 laps, how long would it take to run all the ages as it is in no way fair if you have a draft legal event  to sit in a bunch of a different age group, if as everyone always brings up the subject that you draft in bike races you can not sit in a different grade or age group you are dq"d . Totally unfair to come out behind out of the water and sit on a different age group that takes you up to those who swam hard and are riding with their age group

Can we ditch that horrible OD course (though it migh be better without the roadworks) and use the 1991 one instead for the OD?

On 5/24/2017 at 10:30 PM, Pineapple said:

it's against the rules in draft legal to draft of a competitor from another age group. No idea how they would really police that though. Ideally you would have a single out and back course with large gaps between the waves. In reality though getting road closures for a 10km stretch of road on the goldie for 5 or 6 hours might be easier said than done.

8 hours ago, A2K said:

it's against the rules in draft legal to draft of a competitor from another age group. No idea how they would really police that though. Ideally you would have a single out and back course with large gaps between the waves. In reality though getting road closures for a 10km stretch of road on the goldie for 5 or 6 hours might be easier said than done.

They close roads 10k north and 15 K south For the marathon and half marathon each year at GC. Could be done I think.

no crashes at kurnell and thats just a draft fest these days, especially the later waves who get towed round the course by the other competitors, like rolling past a continuous pace line for 20k, gee's some riders even just stay out on captain cook drive and dont even come into the bike lane.

gold coast will be fine as draft fest. if you dont like, dont do it. 

2 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

no crashes at kurnell and thats just a draft fest these days, especially the later waves who get towed round the course by the other competitors, like rolling past a continuous pace line for 20k, gee's some riders even just stay out on captain cook drive and dont even come into the bike lane.

gold coast will be fine as draft fest. if you dont like, dont do it. 

If that is the case then the integrity of the competitors has gone since I last raced there, don't know why they bother buying tri bikes go and bike race if they just want to race in a pack and see then if they can really ride, but then again the rules are unforced in cycle racing

4 minutes ago, prizna said:

Those criticising the draft legal race, have you done one?

Personally, I think a WC would be fine, as long as they do enforce the rules around sitting on other AG's. And qualifying races would probably be OK as well, as long as there is another non drafting sprint race for all those not experienced at riding to go around in.

What scares me is the day they say draft-legal to hundreds of novices, many of whom are like people on this forum, and do 90% of their bike time attached to a trainer. That's a liability nightmare.