Peter

So I'm hearing Busso Ironman is the last one

90 posts in this topic

My spies at TA tell me that the WA government have notified WTC that they will not be continuing with the "Funding" after this year. 

So basically WTC need to find a bucket of cash somewhere. 

Gunna be interesting to see what happens. 

WTC should ask TA to step in.  

Compulsory membership was designed to give the sport political clout through capturing all those club members that never joined TA and also fill TA's coffers with cash from the extra members and sponsors those extra members brought in.      A lot of people said it wouldn't work but TA insisted they were right and its now been a few years of proof in the pudding so TA can really rub it in the naysayers faces now and deliver.  

The war chest of cash TA would now have, combined with the political clout compulsory delivered, there is absolutely nothing to see here. Your spies have probably leaked this deliberately, so they can look like knights in shining armour when they step in and save it. 

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Move to Sri Lanka.

Stay and just do the half in May ?  You know the one where they release the sharks for the slow swimmers.

How much money would the government kick in to this event?

I know last years ever apparently generated $10.2m for the economy apparently.  With 50% off the visitors being from interstate or overseas. 

Their Govt have frozen politicians pay for 4 years so they must be desperate for every dollar and this wont be the last expense cut.. although a few hundred grand wont get them back into surplus...

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

I hope this is incorrect.

It's correct.  Just hope they can find some cash to keep it going.

Australia needs an easy Ironman for those too soft to do Port Mac.

2 people like this

If it's true, they haven't told the IMWA team.

Response to query - Thank you for your message and that rumor is most definitely not true. IMWA is a prestigious event to the IRONMAN brand and with the inclusion of the 70.3 last year we can see this event to continuing to grow. Please feel free to share with fellow athletes this rumor is not true and we look forward to seeing you at all IMWA for the foreseeable future. 

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, Peter said:

It's correct.  Just hope they can find some cash to keep it going.

Australia needs an easy Ironman for those too soft to do Port Mac.

I've decided I'm too soft for port.

1 person likes this

Not sure, but I suspect TA can reduce costs. Their 2016 annual report I think shows about $1.5M in travel and accommodation......!

Edited by IronmanFoz

5 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Not sure, but I suspect TA can reduce costs. Their 2016 annual report I think shows about $1.5M in travel and accommodation......!

Personal insight (from admittedly a few years back) on this.

Say you have to attend a race in an official capacity, let's pick Busso as an example.  You may know you need to attend 3 months out and you contact TA office to book your flight.  You give them the details of the flight and time that suits you, trying to be proactive.

You then hear nothing back until the week before you are due to go when you give them a reminder.  Then they decide to book the flight and pay the higher fees for the last minute, so a $150 flight turns into a $600+ flight.  I've heard this gripe from senior officials for many years, but it seems to remain a gripe with no action being done to actually do anything about it

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, ironjen said:

Response to query - Thank you for your message and that rumor is most definitely not true. IMWA is a prestigious event to the IRONMAN brand and with the inclusion of the 70.3 last year we can see this event to continuing to grow. Please feel free to share with fellow athletes this rumor is not true and we look forward to seeing you at all IMWA for the foreseeable future. 

They said the same thing about IM Melbourne. 

Peter's post assumes with out government funding the race won't continue.  Does that sound right? 

I read a report yesterday that claimed almost 50% of the field were from WA.  I wonder how many of them would travel to Port if this race is ended. It also said the race injected $10.2 million into the Busselton economy.

49 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Peter's post assumes with out government funding the race won't continue.  Does that sound right? 

Could be, look at Ballarat.

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

The state government does contribute a bit but the local council would throw in more by my reckoning but if it's the little bit that tips it over the line then whatever it is is enough to make it unviable if it goes.

The bigger picture is that the sport (and particularly long course) in this country is dying, you just have to look at the age group wave numbers to see that.  The people that are repeat offenders are getting older and eventually they stop racing but they're not being replaced by younger participants.  The biggest AG when I started was 30-34, then 35-39 and now it's a toss up between that and 40-44.

The sad thing is that WTC/Wanda probably care more about the state of triathlon in Australia than TA do.  The administrators of the sport just care about keeping up appearances so that they can suckle off the breast of federal funding until they move on to their next job.

1 person likes this

Way back when I spoke to Geoff Meyer he said that race entries don't cover the race. (This was specifically about Melbourne) and that without government funding the races won't go ahead, that's why they sell them to the Government as a tourism event not just a race. 

Firstly i know absolutely nothing of the cost of running an IM event in Australia and how any money involved is used, not used etc.

Blown away with Roxii's comment about Race entry fees not covering the race, IM Melbourne had close to 2150 entrants in 2015 (final year) guessing rego was say $850 (stand to be corrected) thats just under 2mil ($1,827,500).  Again removing taxes, Active Fee's etc. thats alot of money just from enrties for a one day event without any Gov or Council funding.

Wonder how much profit WTC/Wanda expect/desire per event? 

40 minutes ago, Stikman said:

The bigger picture is that the sport (and particularly long course) in this country is dying,

Why do you say that? I've only been in the sport 4 years, but it seems to be growing if anything. Tons more races around in WA. And races like Busso 70.3 and the Telstra sprint series are thriving. 

Busso 70.3 figures:

2007 - 800

2011 - 1200

2016 - 1700

Hillarys Sprint:

2009 - 350

2016 - 700

Long course numbers are dropping, but this is inevitable. There are very few people that can train year in year out for a full, especially if you have a fulltime job, married, kids etc Most people I know do one or two max. The race is tough and the training can be long and boring. 6 hour rides are just shit IMO. 

Edited by zed

15 minutes ago, Pencil_Towel said:

Firstly i know absolutely nothing of the cost of running an IM event in Australia and how any money involved is used, not used etc.

Blown away with Roxii's comment about Race entry fees not covering the race, IM Melbourne had close to 2150 entrants in 2015 (final year) guessing rego was say $850 (stand to be corrected) thats just under 2mil ($1,827,500).  Again removing taxes, Active Fee's etc. thats alot of money just from enrties for a one day event without any Gov or Council funding.

Wonder how much profit WTC/Wanda expect/desire per event? 

It cost more than $1mil for road closures at IM Frankston so this would probably right

esually as the last year the numbers had dropped considerably from the first year but the costs keep going up

5 hours ago, ironjen said:

That reads exactly like one of those statements from a football club stressing that their Mgr has their full backing. Just before they sack him. :wink1:

5 people like this

14 minutes ago, FatPom said:

That reads exactly like one of those statements from a football club stressing that their Mgr has their full backing. Just before they sack him. :wink1:

Reminds me of an email last year from our CEO. stating emphatically that there will be no redundancies in 2017. You can guess the rest.

2 people like this

33 minutes ago, ironpo said:

It cost more than $1mil for road closures at IM Frankston so this would probably right

So we have governments then giving money out to host these events with one hand, and then taking the money back in the other