Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Naut

Wheely good advice

12 posts in this topic

Due to the enormous power I output (also weigh around 85kgs) I am having repeated spoke failures on my cheap Fulcrum Racing 5s. So I have decided to take the plunge and invest in a quality set of wheels.

I have narrowed it down to two options:

1. Campy Eurus G3 things

2. Bontrager Paradigm Elite

Price is pretty close to the same (Campys about $70 cheaper).

Weight is close enough to not matter.

They both seem to have a great reputation.

The Campys would have to come from an international bike shop, the Bontragers would come from my local guy making any warranty a lot easier.

I love the look of the G3 spoke pattern but also like purchasing off my local guy (I have a very good relationship with my LBS).

Which would you buy?

Cant answer your question on those wheels but I am closer to 100kg and had no issues with the Fulcrum 5. Before this I had numerous spoke issues with supposedly stronger wheels including 32spoke mavic open pro and custom built 32spoke hplus one archetype. I think after the fact I worked out the issues were being caused by a bike rack I was using at work end of trip that sort of 'clawed' the wheel and was nearly impossible to put it on there so it wasnt putting lateral stress on a spoke. Had no issues after i stopped using them and started using a different sort of rack..

could anything else be causing it?

1 person likes this

I had the same experience as Pieman.

90 -> 100 kg + on Fulcrum 5s with no spoke issues.

But, that was a set from 2011 ish.

No obvious cause for the failures, I was breaking a spoke every couple of months and actually got the wheel rebuilt with stronger DT Swiss spokes and still keep popping them.

But you guys are missing the point, I have mentally accepted spending lots of money on new bling. I am just asking which bling I should get.

Edit to say: I am VERY powerful :D

Edited by Naut
1 person likes this

Get a disk.  Cant pop spokes then.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Naut said:

But you guys are missing the point, I have mentally accepted spending lots of money on new bling. I am just asking which bling I should get.

Then just go ahead and buy the set that looks best on your bike.

1 person likes this

Picked up the Bontragers last night. My man at the LBS looked after me on price and the Trek warranty is just to good to pass up. Seriously, compared to some of the horror stories you hear, their warranty is awesome.

Also a mate threatened to never let me draft him if I put Campy on a Shimano bike and he is too good a wheel to risk.

Edit to say: The Bontragers are also 20 grams lighter, so I had a ice cream to celebrate (then I remembered it was rotational weight so it is more like 40 grams so I get another ice cream today).

Edited by Naut
3 people like this

I'm using Roval CX 60s, Xentis 4.2s or if the roads are ok, and no cross winds, Xentis Mark 1's

I am north of 85kg...

5 hours ago, Naut said:

Picked up the Bontragers last night. My man at the LBS looked after me on price and the Trek warranty is just to good to pass up. Seriously, compared to some of the horror stories you hear, their warranty is awesome.

Also a mate threatened to never let me draft him if I put Campy on a Shimano bike and he is too good a wheel to risk.

Edit to say: The Bontragers are also 20 grams lighter, so I had a ice cream to celebrate (then I remembered it was rotational weight so it is more like 40 grams so I get another ice cream today).

Nice choice esp when the LBS are helping with your decision

Gotta ask are you a 'foodie' ?   Will you be the first trannie on one of those cooking gigs on telly?   😉

1 person likes this

Not a "foodie", more of an "eatie". Truthfully just a sugar addict.

2 people like this