Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Suburban Kid

Port Mac 70.3 2017

11 posts in this topic

There are two reasons why I was competing in this 70.3. The first being that I had originally signed up for Western Sydney 70.3 in 2016 but was unable to compete, so transferred my entry, and secondly it was perfect timing for a trial run for Hawaii 70.3 (June 4 17) which was my main goal for 2017.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm a notoriously lazy trainer, however I was coming off a 6 week base training, and was in week 12 of a 16 week 70.3 Training program which would have my peaking for Hawaii 70.3. I had cut out alcohol since the start of 2017, however had compensated that with a daily red bull (which have since been cut out, as to drop a few kgs before Hawaii) I had only done a few bricks (Yes, I am doing a short run of most of my bike training sessions, to get the feel in the legs)

My swim and bike training had been going well, with my longest run being 14k (I had been nursing a heel injury that flares up after every run), and after a PB at Forster of 5.11, I was excited to test myself and see if I had made any progress)

We drove up on the Saturday morning and went straight into Athlete Check-in at the Glasshouse, all went smooth, then headed back to T's Tennis Resort to drop our bags off and then ride my bike down to transition. Bike drop off was fine, and we chilled down near the finishers chute for a few hours on the grass, followed by dinner, then bed.

Swim (36.32) - My swim training had been progressing well, All of my swims had been in the pool, with no open water swims, and no swims with my westuit on. My garmin clocked in at just over 2k, so not sure if it was due to my not swimming straight, or if the course was long by 100m, not to worry. It was, what it was. As we exited the water we had to run up and down an archway of stairs into T1. Wetsuit off, Helmet on, right. Now onto the bike. The official 70.3 results has me at 1.53 / 100 for the 1.9K, however my Garmin had me at 2.096k and average of 1.47 / 100.

T1 - T1 - 3.29

Bike (3.03.04) - I had driven a little bit of the course so knew that it was, as I would define, to be quite hilly. Especially first couple of KMs in and out of town. I'm not a particularly strong cyclist, Running has always been my strength, however I'm not enjoying it so much after the bike! Perhaps I'm just whinging, or looking for excuses for what I feel was a poor bike, I thought the bike was quite hilly, and the road surface not the best. But it is, what it is. I averaged pretty much 30kph the entire bike leg, as it was a training ride, I always get the urge for a #1 in the bike leg, so rather than hold it in until T2, I stopped at the portaloo's for a tinkle probably around 60-70k in, and then set off again. I was looking forward to cycling up Matthew Flinders Drive as I had heard it was quite challenging, it was pretty cool going up it. I rode back in through the town centre and into T2. Total elevation was approx 600m

Run

As I've mentioned above, I enjoy a stand alone run, I've posted what I would say are pretty quick times (39.56 for 10K, and 85 for 21.1), however I've never really enjoyed running off the bike. In hindsight I'd say I went out a little too quick, with my first K at 4.40's, I then slowed it down to around 5. With most of my running being less than 14K, once again in hindsight, my performance matched where my training was at. Went through first 9K in around 45-46 mins, and then the wheels came off majorly. The head and the body both went at the same time. The last 10k my quickest KM was at 6.00s, everything else was 7, to 8+. At first I tried to just keep up running in between aid stations, but I knew it was over, so I did what I hate doing - and that was walking. I walked quite a lot, the entire time feeling really disappointed in my performance, and I think the negativity just grew and grew on me. I thought about DNF'ing about 5 times throughout the last 10k of the run course, but I just kept on going and was happy to see the finish chute. and cross the line in 5.58 with a total run time of 2.13.09.

I was in a terrible mood afterwards, a major internal tantrum entailed. I'm trying to remain positive, and knuckle down with the areas I need to focus on (bricks, and long runs).

My main goal for this year was to go sub 5 at Hawaii 70.3 (35 / 2.40 / 1.45), (which I know that i'm capable of) as I thought I could find 11 minutes compared to my Forster 70.3 time somewhere in the swim, run or ride. That's gone out the window for the time being, and I'm just going to focus on enjoying my training and racing, and keeping my heart rate low during the ride and keeping my pace easy the first few KMs of the run.

3 people like this

SK. Welcome to the schoolroom. You only learn when things go wrong. 1 thing important in these types of races is how you respond mentally. Struggle Street helps you get there. 

Remember, a finish is a win. You were after a good training day and you got it physically as well as mentally. Good work. 

FM

1 person likes this

Sorry it didnt go to plan, but thanks for the report.

Good luck in Hawaii

Cheers

NSF

Cheers guys, def took a few things away from the day, pacing, strategy. So looking forward to a better day in the office come Hawaii

Good stuff mate, I would go to Hawaii with time goals not in mind, go there just aiming to get the best out of yourself,  it's a hard course, very slow regardless of weather. 

As an example my last four halves outside of Hawaii are 4:20, 4:32, 4:20, 4:35 and last two years in Honu are something like 4:42 and 4:47. 

If you have any questions about the race give me a holla, been three times, it's rad 

3 people like this

Thanks for the report mate. Bad luck on having a tough day but congrats on toughing it out.

Well done SK, sounds like you learned a thing or two at Port. Great mental preparation for Hawaii no doubt. 

Im really looking forward to racing in Hawaii. I'll pm you closer to the race - we arrive there on the Friday. 

On 15/05/2017 at 6:48 PM, clintred said:

Good stuff mate, I would go to Hawaii with time goals not in mind, go there just aiming to get the best out of yourself,  it's a hard course, very slow regardless of weather. 

As an example my last four halves outside of Hawaii are 4:20, 4:32, 4:20, 4:35 and last two years in Honu are something like 4:42 and 4:47. 

If you have any questions about the race give me a holla, been three times, it's rad 

Thanks, this is really good advice - I find it hard to not have at least some expectation of time, but it sounds as though a tougher course all round is expected for Hawaii - can't wait to get there in 2 weeks, followed by a relaxing holiday in Maui with the wife and kids.

Out of interest - what were the courses were you clocked the 4:20 and 4:30 times?

18 hours ago, wombattri said:

Thanks, this is really good advice - I find it hard to not have at least some expectation of time, but it sounds as though a tougher course all round is expected for Hawaii - can't wait to get there in 2 weeks, followed by a relaxing holiday in Maui with the wife and kids.

Out of interest - what were the courses were you clocked the 4:20 and 4:30 times?

Sunny coast before Worlds and then world champs. Port Mac was the 4:30's. 

My swims in Honu have been 3-4mins slower, the ride 5-10mins and the run................. 😳 Lots slower. 

Well done mate. I had a shocking race a few years ago and learnt a lot from it. Every race is a learning experience!

Hi guys, first time race report coming up!

Port mac was my first 70.3 distance race, and a major milestone in a period of my life where I have had to improve my fitness severely due to health issues. After some bad results from the doctor almost exactly 2 years prior to race day, I had dropped 27kg to turn my health issues around. In that period I had done some short course tri's, a half mara, long ride events etc, but this was the first high intensity long course event, so I was going in with a lot of unknowns.

Training - I had a really solid training base to go on for this event, in the 3-4 months leading in I was averaging around 10hrs a week split between the 3 disciplines. Swimming has never been strong for me, so I was mainly working on rhythm rather than speed. Cycling is my favourite and I was averaging 150-200ks a week between hills and velodrome. Running is painful for a big guy like me, but I had done 2 x 21.1k training runs in lead up plus regular shorter runs as part of weekly training. Two weeks out I was hitting PBs every time I left the house, so I was peaking at the right time. 1 week out I sprained a knee ligament during a 10 km run, which meant no running in taper week to let it recover as much as possible.

Swim - I was aiming at a 40 dead, and ended up with a 43. It actually felt ok, I just didn't seem to have any speed. It's hard mentally starting an event like this knowing it's your weakest leg, and it's hard mentally knowing you have a big day ahead and you have to try and repass all the people going by you in the swim. But I tried to go into my own zone and just find a rythym and press on.

Bike - this was great. The course wasn't as hard as I had been led to believe, and i really enjoyed this leg. I was concious of how much running there was to go afterwards, so I rode at around 75% perceived effort (I don't have wattage) and smoked in a 2.48. I actually remember getting back into town thinking 'I would love to go and do that again'!

Run - this was the brutal part of the race for me. I came off the bike with the usual heaviness I had been experiencing in brick training, and ran a 5.14, which is a little faster than target (a really good long run for me would be 5.30-5.45 pace). Just as I was getting my run legs comfortable I had my first ever cramping issue, with a quad going berserk on me as I headed up the hill. I really struggled trying to stretch it out etc, as it was very unfamiliar with me. A team mate of mine passed me a yelled out that the aid station near the bridge had cramp aid?? Which was a godsend, but getting to that point fairly ruined the first 5k. After that I found a decent rythym for around 10-11 km, holding a mid to high 5 min pace between aid stations, and walking the aid station to ensure I got heaps of fluids and endura in to stop any more cramping. With about 5k to go, my knee ligament sprained again, making running very uncomfortable, so I had to fight through in a run/walk to get home.

With about 100m to go I found my wife and 2 small children on the fence and the emotion of the moment fired me up. I have thrown so many hours into training for this and it was a huge moment personally to actually achieve a goal like this. Coming in I had a target of going sub 6hours. Unfortunately with the issues on the run, I came in at 6.02 with a 2.18 run leg. While I missed my target, I'm still very happy to have come so close, and in the knowledge that with a little better nutrition plan and not coming in with an existing injury, I would have blitzed 6 hours.

Now the question is - what's next?? A full distance is just a hard thing to get my head around right now, but it seems a lot more achievable that it did a year ago!

1 person likes this