The Customer

Hermits - do you know any?

29 posts in this topic

Reading a fantastic book called "Stranger in the Woods" by Michael Finkel, about a young man who just walks into the woods in Maine and stays there for 27 years.

Anyone know of anyone who've actually done this (besides IronPo)? I heard of one guy who bunkered down in a cabin in the Victorian Alps for a couple of years and, from I read, he wasn't the only one up there doing similar.

Edited by The Customer

It's exactly what I could see myself doing. The older I get, the more I have, but the less I need. I'm pretty sick of people and getting away certainly appeals.

Just Amazoning the Finkel book now...

1 person likes this

I'll listen to that tomorrow. I guess the interesting thing is why people do it. I'm not homeless (and never likely to be) but I could see myself being happy as a a lark living on a little lot of land with no-one within cooee in a shipping container sized place with a guitar, stereo, cameras and a computer. The more I deal with people in general, traffic, narcissistic knobs and work the more I like the idea of my own solitude. 

Ironic that I've worked my whole life to be well off yet feel I could happily live with next to nothing. Just need to convince the wife and kids.  I did just see a nice vacant plot of 9 acres on the Central Coast...

1 person likes this

That was a great podcast. Was quite relaxing to listen to LOL He sounds cool as a cuc these days.

A girl i went to school with lives by by herself in the middle of nowhere.  Just bought 100 acres with a rough house/shack. From photos looks like heavily tkmbered mountainous country.

She is on social media but seems to be pretty self sufficient - grows most of her own food, solar power, wood stove, water tanks etc. 

She makes her living as an author published on the web.... so never really has to deal with too many people. 

8 hours ago, trinube said:

I'll listen to that tomorrow. I guess the interesting thing is why people do it. I'm not homeless (and never likely to be) but I could see myself being happy as a a lark living on a little lot of land with no-one within cooee in a shipping container sized place with a guitar, stereo, cameras and a computer. The more I deal with people in general, traffic, narcissistic knobs and work the more I like the idea of my own solitude. 

Ironic that I've worked my whole life to be well off yet feel I could happily live with next to nothing. Just need to convince the wife and kids.  I did just see a nice vacant plot of 9 acres on the Central Coast...

I'm hearing you mate.  Have felt like that since about age 15 when I got sent away to boarding school and forced to live with a bunch of rich wankers.  Can recall sitting on the bus on the way home for holidays staring at heavily timbered rocky outcrops in the distance and thinking ''how good would it be to just live up there for the rest of my days'.

It's why I go bush fly-fishing by myself a lot.  Trout & Murray Cod can't bull-shit you.

I find a lot of the people I guide are similar.  They really appreciate the nature & solitude as much as actually catching a fish, so we get on well.

I know where you are both coming from. My first 10 years with Telstra were travelling, sometimes solo or sometimes with 1 other, and working at remote TV & radio sites on top of mountains throughout Qld. I used to love sitting up there working for a few days with not a sole around. This was before the days of mobile phones & internet, so you really were alone.

Sometimes I think I'd love to go back to that. Then I think about what my back would be like, waking up on the cold ground after a sleepless night.

Can I be a 4 star hermit?

My wife and daughter are heading to the States in June to see some relos - I didn't want to do the long trip and I've been there a few times before. So I'm heading off with my young bloke to the Warrumbungles, Cobar, Broken Hill, down through outback Victoria and back through the high country on a 'boy's own adventure'. It will be nice to get away from civilisation for a while.

Might read that book while we're away - I ordered it last night.

3 people like this

42 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Can I be a 4 star hermit?

You can here.  East Kunderang homestead on the Macleay River, run by NSW NPWS.  An old settlers homestead, but done up with all the mod-cons inside.

No mobile reception, no internet, no TV.  Just sit on the verandah, listen to the crickets chirp and watch the wildlife hop by or fly overhead.

IMG_8037_zpsh0mcfb5r.jpg

2 people like this

15 hours ago, The Customer said:

Anyone know of anyone who've actually done this...

Look up Henry David Thoreau & 'Walden on Life In The Woods'.  I first heard about Thoreau and his thoughts and ideas when I was about 15.  I have never read any of his stuff in full, but I have always lived with the basic principle of life should be as simple as possible.  So far I haven't been disappointed.  I've had an amazing life, have done plenty of stuff and in general I'm satisfied with the life that I have lived.  I sometimes wonder how many people can honestly say that.

I also love a couple of his quotes...

'It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see'.

'The price of anything is the amount of life you are prepared to exchange for it'.

And one for Comfortably Numb - 'Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after'.

More here - https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/h/henry_david_thoreau.html

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

And one for Comfortably Numb - 'Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after'.

I think CN knows this all to well.

There has to be a similar quote somewhere about solo 6 hour rides through the hinterland here as well. I've been on a few of those that I would have loved to have never finished.

I dream about this. I could quite easily pack up my shit and head bush and not have to bother (or be bothered by) anyone again.  In fact, I say this to the good wife all too often.

The older I get, the less tolerant of fools I become.  In the past I have previously been worried about what others will think of me, so I have always tried to be the peacemaker and ensure that everyone is happy.  That shit just wears you down.

Now I tend to say what I think, and whilst I am polite about it, people often don't like to hear the truth, so it can sometimes end in tears.  Hears a tip...........if you don't want the truth, don't ask my opinion!

Maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old man.  Or maybe I've just become comfortable with myself and don't need the validation of others.

Either way, I think it's probably best that as the years go by I am isolated from others LOL

I guess until you live it you don't actually know what is in store, but for me, it seems like the ultimate lifestyle.

Funniest thing is with modern technology, the easiest place to be a hermit is in the middle of a metropolis

1 hour ago, Ayto said:

The older I get, the less tolerant of fools I become. 

Just fools? ...drivers, kids, shop assistants, co-workers, tele-marketers, salesmen...

1 person likes this

Like I said mate........Fools

For people who are interested in the extreme minimalist lifestyle, check this guy out. He's in FNQ and has a huge youtube following. He posts a video and it will be over a million views inside 2 hours.

Good on him, personally I could think of nothing worse.  I dont even like camping.

Im the opposite, I feel like I need people around me. 

I dont necessarily need to interact or know them but I enjoy being part of "humanity".

Yep there are idiots around and plenty of them, but to someone else Im probably that idiot. 

2 people like this

I need some concrete in my life, too much green isnt good for me ☺

1 person likes this

I could do it. A cabin on the fringe of a French Alps National Park, a good supply of coffee beans and the ability to bottle my own red and you'll never hear from me again!

2 people like this

12 hours ago, The Customer said:

I could do it. A cabin on the fringe of a French Alps National Park, a good supply of coffee beans and the ability to bottle my own red and you'll never hear from me again!

What about in winter.  Not sure I could live in a hut when it's freezing cold out side & nothing to do. 

What makes a good life...(12 mins)

FM

Interesting video but surely 'loneliness' is an emotion that you have the power to control such as anger or happiness.

Introverted people may not feel the same degree of loneliness as an extroverted person.

Some people may feel very secure and confident in their own company where others may feel insecure and isolated.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Some people may feel very secure and confident in their own company where others may feel insecure and isolated.

When I was younger I felt the need to be around people whilst now I crave the solitude. I think it comes down to how comfortable you are with yourself. Inner peace and all that...

1 person likes this

I know people who are shocked to find out that I go traveling by myself or that I would even go and see a movie alone.

My mother usually shakes her head and sighs, "I can't believe you went to the movies alone!"

I figure, if you want to see something, why be held back by waiting for others to join in? Just do it.

I've had the most amazing experiences on my solo trips across the World.

4 people like this