Sign in to follow this  
AVAGO

What to do with a beautiful used bike

AVAGO    352

Well, it seems that the generosity of the most lovely Mrs Avago has reached new heights, when she got me a Scott Solace 10, carbon endurance geometry frame, Ultegra with disc brakes etc. which has left me a dilemma.

Besides my Tri bike and Mountain bikje, I have

Roadie # 1, a 2004 custom built Teschner, scandium alloy, 7900 DA Group with Fulcrum Zero wheels..  perfect bike.  Love it love it love it

Roadie # 2, a 2002 custom built Bosevski Dedacai One steel frame with 7800 DA Group with Mavic/DA wheel    also  Love it love it love it

Dilemma is that one bike has to go, so the Bosevski, totally refurbished not that long ago( ok, maybe 5 years ago ) has drawn the short straw.

But what do I do with it, sell it for peanuts? give it to a work mates son who'd strip it, sell the parts and make a fixie, give it to someone who'd actually use it, or does it really matter.

do I need the money?  not really, but it'd always be nice         btw, frame is what used to be called 58cm, I'm 183 cm and not flexible

so Trannies, what do I do?

roxii    3,940

Maybe at the right price someone would grab it as a dedicated trainer bike. 

I know I'm looking at something like that at the moment, steel or alloy frame, working order but can be beat up. Would save the worry of putting your "good bike" on the trainer. 

Shrek    137

yeah happy to store it in my garage.....attached to my trainer....so I don't keep having to attach my only roadie on and off the trainer......:-)

trickle    21

Sell it for what you think it is worth then buy Mrs Avago  a nice dinner/evening out with the cash!

• Like 3

Cottoneyes    737

Avago, can you arrange for your wife to speak to my wife?  The only bike I ever received as a present was a Giant hybrid with a kids seat on the back the first birthday after my son was born

• Like 2

Bored@work    1,410
5 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Avago, can you arrange for your wife to speak to my wife?  The only bike I ever received as a present was a Giant hybrid with a kids seat on the back the first birthday after my son was born

You might not want this......

My mate asked his wife to grab a couple of tubes from the LBS.  She came home with a brand new MTN bike for him about $5k worth of bike.  She always hated him spending money on bikes, so it seemed really strange at the time but he loved the new bike & was pumped to be getting into downhill riding. 

Six months later it all made sense when he caught her banging some dude from her work......   

My wife keeps threatening to buy me a new bike every time I give her the shits.  Talk about messing with my head.  

• Like 7

AVAGO    352
8 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Cottoneyes, the one thing that the most lovely Mrs Avago understands, is that the cost of bikes, if it keeps me motivated and happy is relatively cheap, as she has also bought me a P3 for Kona, a Scott Mtn bike etc.

but, we have just fully renovated out apartment, timber floor & carpet, repaint, ALL new furniture etc, so maybe, just maybe the new bike was in some way appeasement as I had no want or need to change a thing..

But I'm so glad we have just gone through 4 months of stress.... ( or not )  plus this one big reno has cost more than all of my bikes and a lifetime of tris... LOL

AVAGO    352
26 minutes ago, Shrek said:

yeah happy to store it in my garage.....attached to my trainer....so I don't keep having to attach my only roadie on and off the trainer......:-)

Shrek, it has seen modest use as a trainer bike, so it currently has an Ergostem ( adjustable stem) Syntace C2 aero bars, forward set seat post, adomo seat and trainer tyre on rear.

Tyno    1,322
1 hour ago, AVAGO said:

so Trannies, what do I do?

Give it to Tyno on your next trip to Brisbane. :D

IronmanFoz    624
9 hours ago, trickle said:

Sell it for what you think it is worth then buy Mrs Avago  a nice dinner/evening out with the cash!

Better still.....................Sell it for what you think it is worth then buy Mrs Avago a nice dinner/evening out with IronJimbo and IronmanFoz!

AVAGO    352

Hi Trannies.

Rather than put this on the Pay it Forward thread, I'll just leave it here.

If you have a use for this 58cm ( Large - suit 183 cm+/- ) bike,  and have genuine use for it, be it road or trainer,  and can pick it up from either Narrabeen or Balmain, then it's yours.

PM me or call Andre 0412 173 573

• Like 2

sme1414    205
On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Cottoneyes said:

Maybe she could run a conference. .....How to buy a bike for your significant other 

AVAGO    352

it's interesting that so many significant others are so against investments ( purchases ) in our health & therefore happiness.

if it was another week on an overseas family holiday ( that may be paid via debt ) then of course we can afford it. A new lounge when the existing one is perfectly good ( just like your existing bike ), then of course we can afford it.

I

The new bike is less than three weeks old and already I've more than doubled the number of times a week that I've been riding, including riding to work, which has to be better for me, both physically and mentally, than sitting in the car for another 2 hrs each day.

New bike? that's cheap.