Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oompa Loompa

IMOZ - is the specialness gone

47 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Rog said:

I've been there most years, either racing or watching, since 2007.

This year was just as great if not better than previous years. 

Fantastic atmosphere, perfect weather and combining both 70.3 and full on the same day brings that many more people to town (2,900 competitors all up so numbers are hardly down). 

I love Cairns but have to agree Port is the best race in OZ, just needs a bit more love from WTC. 

Spot on 

I've been going since 2006 as competitor and spectator equally and it was very different this year. I was a spectator. My take is that the race itself sounded better for the athletes largely due to conditions but organisation pretty good too. Numbers noticeably down. Even MFD quieter than usual but still OK. Soooooo many 70.3ers walked up MFD. Personally I'd prefer one race only. Even I seemed to become an Ironman snob on the day at times. I was at the Pub for the welcome - pretty ordinary but wasn't for preso or beer mile so can't comment. I will say many of us were critical in the past of the marquee thing as well re food, drinks, crowd noise etc. But I always went - it was part of the experience

Port has set the bar pretty high IMO but Ironman is not that special anymore. Watching the race though still managed to help me and my mojo and I can see myself there next year.

14 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

the Je ne sais quoi  has gone from Port. 

Yes, bring on Cairns 2019.

Race was great fun.

Agree the other end at lauriton was dead.

Run course was so good.  Really enjoyed it.

That piece of road where the lady fell off, we ride over that little piece every weekend, I'm not actually sure how it caused her to fall off unless she only had one hand on the bars?

3 hours ago, goughy said:

Are you being kind in your usage of the word 'slight'??  1071 finishers in IM, 1010 in 70.3, with say around 120 dnf/dns.  So overestimate by 700?  Sounds slight.

Only just realised Busselton 70.3 was on the same day.  1614 finishers.  Over 250 dnf/dns.

I know they're a long way apart physically, but why run them the same day?

think Vietnam 70.3 was on to as I'm fairly sure I saw a local port mac boy win that??

spartan was in Sydney too on the Saturday which I think had 3800 finishers across both races.... assume 1 to 200 of them might have been drawn to Ironman once like Nealo - lol

Would be interesting to compare the spartan age and gender demographic to ironman too. Is this where the younger folk are going or are they also like triathlon and have a large 40plus male demographic (just basing that of the roll down thread, not actual entrants). 

4 hours ago, goughy said:

Only just realised Busselton 70.3 was on the same day.  1614 finishers.  Over 250 dnf/dns.

I know they're a long way apart physically, but why run them the same day?

Yeah my thoughts exactly Goughy.

7 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

spartan was in Sydney too on the Saturday which I think had 3800 finishers across both races....

I have never seen so many six packs!

Definitely a younger demographic but most certainly all age groups up to mid 50's covered. 

Don't get me started on the goody bag. A can of red bull and a sachet of endura?! I didn't even get a bidon in mine.

Apparently the guy who laid down the rolled up sheet and stayed to marshal the cyclists around the patch of road where the women crashed is the head of IM Oceania/Asia-Pacific/whatever they call it. That's pretty neat.

I think the concern for Port (and IM generally) is the inability to recruit athletes in the 20-24 and 25-29 age groups. It is aging sport and that's not sustainable or healthy (for the sport at least, on balance it's probably pretty beneficial for the health of us middle-aged dudes). We've seen the IMOz essentially age 20 years in the last few decades from the days when 25-29 was the largest age group. The podium times in M50 were comparable to M25. Not ideal for the future.

As for the course, the weir crossing is a quirky feature, especially with this years drop in water temp in the canal. It is far better than the old 2 lap layout. 

It's a good bike course which rewards those who prepare well. That's always been the case. The roads are better than they used to be but it will always be a "dead" surface where you have to work for your miles. Hopefully the hills will always be a feature of the course. It's the hills riding out of town and through Bonnie Hills that make the bike so scenic and interesting. It would become lacklustre without them.

Personally, I like the irreverence and vibrancy that the PIS crew bring to Windmill Hill.

Still miss Windmill Hill on the run though. As with Matthew Flinders, it was a spectator magnet and a challenging section that gave the Port course a distinctive character. Yes, I know it will never be brought back.

I'm undecided about the functions. For the all the shortcomings they did add a sense of occasion that separated IM from the shorter tris and, like the chaos of the mass start, I do feel a little for the newbies missing out. I would be very surprised if they don't look to re-jig or fine tune the welcome and presentations in some way for 2018. Will be interesting to see how they approach it.

Yes, I'm a dinosaur. 

Do the Asia Pacific champs still have a welcome & presentation dinner? 

Arizona had meal vouchers but Texas being the North American champs had a welcome dinner & awards nights.  They also had Burritos in the recovery area :) 

Yes Vietnam 70.3 was on. As for an ageing sport - possibly. Definitely have issues with AGs 20-24 and 25-29. Can see that at club champs. Club membership lists seem to have smaller numbers of those AGs now....

Recovery burritos?? Give me that and a beer and I will be happy!

It's only ironman where the younger age groups are light on. Very healthy fields in the shorter races. 

Ironman an aging sport?

this year I didn't participate in the IM, and have transferred to Port '18.

Watching the race, in my Trannie Hat, made me realise that as an aging BOP, with limited training want, or time, that the 70.3 is really a perfect vehicle for someone wanting to start, or stay in longer length events.

As a spectator, we watched the bike from Observatory Park ( and watched the stoopid kid run straight across the road into an oncoming competitor ) and for the run, we were in the narrow section near the fishing boats. It was pretty good as a spectator, but did seem less vibrant than years past as a competitor.

I think numbers for the full will continue to decline, but that's not indicative of the health of the sport. Triathlon is thriving in WA, races don't sell out anymore, but there are lots more races to choose from. I just think doing a full year after year places too much demand on people, especially those with a fulltime job, wife, young kids.A lot of people I spoke to, just don't like the training, 6 hour rides can be a real chore, throw in cold, wind, rain and the training can get old real quick...  

2 people like this

It's an ironman as far as I could tell. I mean whose so vain they measure the quality of the course by the number of spectatorors, if you want atmosphere goto Im France with at dj and fireworks at the end. No Aus IM can go near that.if you think IM Aus Is hard try something like Japan 2015 / Aus is a peace of piss. If you want to be to do th best you can do, ,iM aus is a good as place as any for that.

for sure; im aus is the hardest in aus, but don't make the mistake of thinking ,Im aus is particularly hard compared too what's out there

imo finishing time is  it's all about perfcentage of effort and in that respect ,Im Aus is no different  than  busso.

and the ride is shit - nothing To do with dead roads - we ride that all the time. It's the bone jarring bumpw for almsoet 180k: believe what you like but that's a major case nutrition brother to numbers 

12 hours ago, zed said:

I think numbers for the full will continue to decline, but that's not indicative of the health of the sport. Triathlon is thriving in WA, races don't sell out anymore, but there are lots more races to choose from. I just think doing a full year after year places too much demand on people, especially those with a fulltime job, wife, young kids.A lot of people I spoke to, just don't like the training, 6 hour rides can be a real chore, throw in cold, wind, rain and the training can get old real quick...  

For me and the pro's seems to reiterate it in the speeches....that Port is one tough race....... This to me along with the lateness of the season is what is pushing people away. (note: they were lucky with the weather this year).

They say a lot about being a Legend - 10 time finisher - , but I already know of people who have given it away after 9..... that's is tells a lot in my view.

35 minutes ago, lzbones said:

for sure; im aus is the hardest in aus, but don't make the mistake of thinking ,Im aus is particularly hard compared too what's out there

I've been banging that drum for a while, not sure if anyone believes it.:wink3:

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Oompa Loompa said:

most importantly was Elvis still on Matthew Flinders ?

He sure as shit was...busted into a chorus as I reached the top on my second lap straight into a double VMO cramp. I think even the King cringed at the profanities that came outa my pirate mouth.

2 hours ago, trickle said:

He sure as shit was...busted into a chorus as I reached the top on my second lap straight into a double VMO cramp. I think even the King cringed at the profanities that came outa my pirate mouth.

I sang along to "Viva Los Vegas" as I went up the 2nd time with him :)

9 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

most importantly was Elvis still on Matthew Flinders ?

He is fantastic 

i have him as my FB avatar