Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oompa Loompa

IMOZ - is the specialness gone

47 posts in this topic

I'll start with I wasn't there so seeking others opinions. 

Speaking  to few Shire folk, they said it just wasn't the same, crowds were down, vouchers are crap for functions ..... the Je ne sais quoi  has gone from Port. 

I know looking at social media feeds, the once great pis were not there in numbers, the Shire clubs photos had little more than a dozen peeps, it was sorta sad when you back a few years and see 80 pissers and 60 tossers were in it, over 10% of the field delivered by two areas in Sydney. 

Feedback from the bike was that the far end of the course has dimished in terms of punters, the run was even a lonely place in town COMPARED to previous years.   Sure the die hards will always love it, the 10/15 plus people but what about the three or four IM peeps, has IM OZ dimished like competitive locals are saying ?  Is the pot holed bike course  an issue, I know a few have said they will never ride it again in that condition. 

So what are people's thoughts, as good as ever or it's lost its way since King Ken and Shane Smith moved on ? 

Edited by Oompa Loompa

It's still the best race in oz by miles

the road is really pretty good now and only two really bad bits 

sure numbers are down , locals don't like it but that's just tricathalon in oz these days 

I'm wondering if PIS/PTC are still a little pissed from last year? I can't say as my involvement with them at a club level is very light.

Saw some footage of the finish line just post cut-off, atmosphere seemed pretty impressive

If i make a revival, ill go back to port mac (although i think i might have signed up for the trannie cairns 2019 mission)

I think still a fantastic race, tough and fair course, not sure what people expect these days. Did my first IM at Forster 20 years ago and still get the buzz. Too many people wanting an 'easy' course and rolling in just under cut off. As for PIS, apart from a few of them, the rest come across as wankers and a pain in the arse at Windmill hill, get in the way and spoil it for a lot of others.

Times change and we need to move on.,,,didn't go to the presso afternoon but looked much better than the previous evening events.

I've been there most years, either racing or watching, since 2007.

This year was just as great if not better than previous years. 

Fantastic atmosphere, perfect weather and combining both 70.3 and full on the same day brings that many more people to town (2,900 competitors all up so numbers are hardly down). 

I love Cairns but have to agree Port is the best race in OZ, just needs a bit more love from WTC. 

4 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

So Port is still King. 

It always will be.  The Ironman bubble has burst in Australia & Port is suffering like every other race in Australia.  Races around the world are not selling out.  Some races will always sell out but others are going to struggle.  

I'll also add that the bike course is not that bad. I don't know what people whinge so much about it. Yes there are a few hills and surface is a bit slow but ffs it is just fine. 

One more thing - you may think the absence of PIS and TOSS impacts on how the race is perceived. It might've been nice looking from the "inside" but I reckon others couldn't care less. 

I agree with Rog. At 6.30pm the finish line was sparse. At 7.30 onwards, it was a hoot (photos below). I loved the bike course - it was solid whilst still good enough to sit on the bars for a long time. The run through town is good. 

It has a different vibe now but still great to catch up with my yearly mates. The difference I feel is that it's more family now. An absolute ton of kids there now. 

I spoke with Ken on Monday and he thinks it has built on years of hard work and is happy with it.

The food /preso situation (pre and post) is the gap for me though.

FM 

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2050.JPG

Edited by Flanman

I'm doing it next year just in case...

This is my post in another thread re: functions etc.

I think the informal set up basically saves them money. For first timers it's a bit of a let down. I thought for a first timer both carbo and preso is a big deal. Luckily I with Dave T get to go to the Legends lunch. Quieter and more interesting albeit short.

Well done to Ironman for thinking out of the box and making changes to a format that is to be honest stale...though I do like them.

Did it work...... That's the question. For me who pretty much trains alone and does not train with a club it's not the best format.... For groups that belong to clubs it's great. 

Also noticed that the full Ironman had 1115 starters - way down on previous years.....and I reckon only about 20-25% of them went to preso.

Now onto the overall race. People need to differentiate between the road surface under race conditions versus road surface in the prior days when you have to ride on the edge. it's a given there note smooth but not that bad. 

According to race organizers they had 1115 starters....way down from last few years. Maybe that's due to the 70.3. I heard 2900 racers across both races..... I would suggest slight exaggeration.

Trannies - the fewest I have ever seen in Port. The break wall normally crowded was almost empty.... It was a bit weird.

Maybe a new location as most people I spoke to say never doing that course again - half or full.

Is it time to drop another IM from the Aus calendar or change locations? 

Can't see that happening! 

Busso is sort of standalone due to distance/isolation. It's flat and getting the numbers.

Cairns is now 'the' race being an international destination and a real holiday destination.

That leaves Port for the biggest field (NSW residents) but a rethink is probably required. Too much history, so it will never go. A change in destination needs a good course, a sympathetic town that needs an economy boost and has heaps of accommodation and not too far from Sydney. I did hear the words whilst at Port...."it's got two years to run for on the current arrangement at Port"!

2 hours ago, Valium2 said:

As for PIS, apart from a few of them, the rest come across as wankers and a pain in the arse at Windmill hill, get in the way and spoil it for a lot of others.

Gee you'd hate somewhere like Roth then. 

2 hours ago, Rog said:

One more thing - you may think the absence of PIS and TOSS impacts on how the race is perceived. It might've been nice looking from the "inside" but I reckon others couldn't care less. 

You probably got a point there, the people I was speaking to are probably comparing it to those big years where if you wearing that gear, it went to another level, so maybe it's just come back to normality for them and they miss it.  

good feedback in here, good to see. 

My thoughts, it was my 5th and I thought it was as big but just different.

The welcome function was a crock and a fizzer. The food vouchers was also a fizzer - just a great way for IM to charge you $50 for a $30 voucher that many wouldn't have even used - but great for the local businesses. The swim was great. The changes to Transition were great - the new bridge was interesting!, The ride was good, it is what it is, although the road at Bonnie Doon really needs a resurface but its all way better than the roads I train on. My only objection is the unsafe part after the 2nd turn around that spat a friend off her bike and broke her collarbone but it was immediately marked and riders sent around. Ride aid stations seemed sparse this year. The run course was good also and the changes there were good. The crowds were going off as usual and there were heaps along the area south of transition and around the finish line was pumping as usual. The awards were great, support for the pub was great but and if it rains for any of the functions then IM is going to make an obscene profit because nobody will be there - oh and $50 for a drink voucher and a plate of batch cooked food is still one of the most ridiculous thing I've seen but we keep paying. PIS/TOS, I didn't notice they were missing until now, but from 250km away it would appear to me that they've traded their members love of the sport for politics - it was good to see at least one PIS get up for a kona slot.

Race was great fun.

Agree the other end at lauriton was dead.

Run course was so good.  Really enjoyed it.

That piece of road where the lady fell off, we ride over that little piece every weekend, I'm not actually sure how it caused her to fall off unless she only had one hand on the bars?

Can you use other peoples vouchers? 

As in i have one but leave early. Can I hand it off to someone else to now have $60 

9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I heard 2900 racers across both races..... I would suggest slight exaggeration.

Are you being kind in your usage of the word 'slight'??  1071 finishers in IM, 1010 in 70.3, with say around 120 dnf/dns.  So overestimate by 700?  Sounds slight.

Only just realised Busselton 70.3 was on the same day.  1614 finishers.  Over 250 dnf/dns.

I know they're a long way apart physically, but why run them the same day?

21 minutes ago, goughy said:

Are you being kind in your usage of the word 'slight'??  1071 finishers in IM, 1010 in 70.3, with say around 120 dnf/dns.  So overestimate by 700?  Sounds slight.

Only just realised Busselton 70.3 was on the same day.  1614 finishers.  Over 250 dnf/dns.

I know they're a long way apart physically, but why run them the same day?

I assume they counted the 70.3 teams as 3 competitors each.?

I used 'slight' with a touch of sarcasm. :)

But great that you got the correct numbers. Explains the lack of people out there on Sunday.

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Can you use other peoples vouchers? 

As in i have one but leave early. Can I hand it off to someone else to now have $60 

At Ironman Arizona last year you could.  I used my mates vouchers & took my parents out for dinner after the race.