Turts

2017 age group world champs

53 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Turts said:

Not much love for the event around here.

Yes you pay your own way, but kona is a "world champs" and you pay. 

A few negative comments over various threads about the qualifying, cost etc. Why so negative? .....

Elitism me thinks

I agree with GE - you'll have a blast. Props to you for pulling this off, a real change from all the ultra stuff you had been doing. Maybe leave the new toy alone til you get back? 😉

2 people like this

10 hours ago, surfer101 said:

I agree with GE - you'll have a blast. Props to you for pulling this off, a real change from all the ultra stuff you had been doing. Maybe leave the new toy alone til you get back? 😉

That sounds like a sensibile idea!  I'm not known for sensible....... :(  :wallbash:

GE was the one that encouraged me to give this a crack waaaaaaay back a couple of years ago, so it's all his fault!  I will absolutely definately have a blast, despite the naysayers.  It makes a huge change, and was a good target afer a year of being really crook.   It will be a trip of a lifetime, as I've never been to Europe before, and the opportunity to go around in an Aus kit will be pretty cool.  You can only race against who shows up and who ever else wants to go - and I did that. 

I'll be buying extra gear, and staying at the team hotel.  Bugger it!  I might only do this once! (alhough MissJess now has me interested in 2019........)

Like those russian gymnasts who aren't good enough in their country to make the Olympics, but magically become australians and represent us.  

4 people like this

Good on you Turts. The whole trip will be a great experience.

Wear the Green & Gold with pride. :)

4 people like this

Not 2019! (I need to quality, and you are in my AG) Although looks like there are plenty of spots spare in 40-44 this time.

Edited by MissJess

13 hours ago, Go Easy said:

You hear the same rubbish every year.  Don't sweat it, you did what was required as per TA's qualification criteria and gained the spot you deserved.  The top level of most sports are filled with people who could actually afford to do them.  If the general population were all presented with the same opportunities and equipment to achieve in their chosen sports then the leader boards would look very different.  Like you said 'it is what it is' and you have done all that you needed to do to be there, just like hundreds of other athletes have done to represent their own countries.  I'm sure most people realise that.

I've been to several world champs and have had a great time at each of them.  I've had a beer with both yourself and Stu and I'm sure you guys will be the same as me and will make the most of the experience when you get there.  Once again well done on making the team, now go and have a blast!

Absolutely will GE my friend. Very excited, and very much looking forward to it!

1 person likes this

46 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Not 2019! (I need to quality, and you are in my AG) Although looks like there are plenty of spots spare in 40-44 this time.

Plenty this year. Probably especially as for the first time ever, sprint and standard are on the same day and you can only race one.

In previous years, you could qualify and race both. So really twice as many spots overall this year. I would have done both otherwise ( got 3rd in sprint and 10th in standard)

Just got a TA update for 2018. Interesting qualification races for the long course. Not too sure I have ever heard of Pottsville as a race venue. It's around 30 kms south of Kingscliff. Good on HOTW (although the temperature in Denmark for the Champs may be a tad different)

FM

Long Distance Triathlon

Event

Date

Event Name

State / Territory

Event 1

4/02/2018

Hell of the West (Goondiwindi Triathlon Club)

QLD

Event 2

24/02/2018

Pottsville (QSM Sports)

NSW

Event 3

8/04/2018

St Kilda (SME 360)

VIC

There's been a half im at Pottsville for the last 2 or 3 years now. 

1 person likes this

Think Mooloolaba might be a sell out next year.  Age Group qualifier for Olympic Distance.

Yeah, Potsville is the tweed coast enduro. I'm guess the April 2018 one in Melbourne is Challenge Melbourne? (or rebranded)

And the whinging has begun. I don't envy TA trying to put together this calendar. They can't pull events out of thin air that don't exist and they have to try and spread the races around the country and around the calendar as best as they possibly can. But nah still not good enough for some. Kudos from me for getting it out 6 weeks earlier than they had initially intended.

2 people like this

Not complaining just have never heard of Pottsville.

FM

2 hours ago, Flanman said:

Not complaining just have never heard of Pottsville.

FM

Not directed at you FM. Some babies on FB are complaining about the race calendar. Btw Pottsville has a downhill swim so if you're not a swimmer this is the race for you.

7 minutes ago, A2K said:

Not directed at you FM. Some babies on FB are complaining about the race calendar. Btw Pottsville has a downhill swim so if you're not a swimmer this is the race for you.

Very downhill. I did it the first year and swam about 28 minutes. Was close to last out of the water. 

Edit to add it's a decent calendar for living in Brisbane 

Edited by Kenneth

2 hours ago, A2K said:

Not this year.  I swam 38 min and was 5th in ag out of the water

Congratulations Turts.

I'm off to Rotterdam as well, racing standard distance in 50-54 age group. Qualification was almost a bit of an anti climax after racing Yarrawonga, Canberra and Devonport and racking up a good number of points to finish 3rd on the points table it turned out that my 5th at Yarrawonga would have given me enough points to qualify. Interestingly if I'd tried to qualify in QLD I would have been lucky to get any points, so its certainly about picking your races for Worlds in 2018.

However it was good fun to race a few events that I hadn't done, even though it took me until Devonport to put a decent race together. Now the fun of training through a Melbourne winter begins. We've got 7 from our club racing so it should be great and plenty of company in the cold months. None of us are staying at the team hotel, I can't as there is 3 in the family and that just didn't work with twin share.

Expensive race entry at EUR350 plus the team contribution but I picked up almost enough money from coaching to cover these costs. Another $500 in race kit and casual gear.

This will be my first time racing World after almost 20 years in the sport and probably my last so I plan to enjoy myself. I've got a month of travel around the event and visiting some fun locations in Ireland, Iceland, Finland, Czech and Croatia as well as Netherlands.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions or just want to know someone over there.

2 people like this

On 5/19/2017 at 3:09 PM, Evil Guru said:

Congratulations Turts.

I'm off to Rotterdam as well, racing standard distance in 50-54 age group. Qualification was almost a bit of an anti climax after racing Yarrawonga, Canberra and Devonport and racking up a good number of points to finish 3rd on the points table it turned out that my 5th at Yarrawonga would have given me enough points to qualify. Interestingly if I'd tried to qualify in QLD I would have been lucky to get any points, so its certainly about picking your races for Worlds in 2018.

However it was good fun to race a few events that I hadn't done, even though it took me until Devonport to put a decent race together. Now the fun of training through a Melbourne winter begins. We've got 7 from our club racing so it should be great and plenty of company in the cold months. None of us are staying at the team hotel, I can't as there is 3 in the family and that just didn't work with twin share.

Expensive race entry at EUR350 plus the team contribution but I picked up almost enough money from coaching to cover these costs. Another $500 in race kit and casual gear.

This will be my first time racing World after almost 20 years in the sport and probably my last so I plan to enjoy myself. I've got a month of travel around the event and visiting some fun locations in Ireland, Iceland, Finland, Czech and Croatia as well as Netherlands.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions or just want to know someone over there.

Great work mate!  It was definately about race selection for me too.  One race would probably have done it, but my best was my last in Devonport too.  And I had fun doing different races I wouldn't have normally travelled to. 

Yeah, it does add up.  But it's my first go around there (only been in the sport 14 years though).  My husband and I are in the race hotel - pricey, but it's the atmosphere.  Around $700 on gear, but I lashed out, and a t-shirt for the hubby too.  Might be a once shot opportunity!

We're arriving 2 weeks before and doing London/Paris/Lucerne/Venice/Florence/Rome/Amsterdam/Rotterdam.  I was lucky to wrangle that much time off work as in a new job. 

We should keep in touch!  There are a few trannies racing 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Turts said:

Great work mate!  It was definately about race selection for me too.  One race would probably have done it, but my best was my last in Devonport too.  And I had fun doing different races I wouldn't have normally travelled to. 

Yeah, it does add up.  But it's my first go around there (only been in the sport 14 years though).  My husband and I are in the race hotel - pricey, but it's the atmosphere.  Around $700 on gear, but I lashed out, and a t-shirt for the hubby too.  Might be a once shot opportunity!

We're arriving 2 weeks before and doing London/Paris/Lucerne/Venice/Florence/Rome/Amsterdam/Rotterdam.  I was lucky to wrangle that much time off work as in a new job. 

Remember to have something for "Swap night"  as well (like a spare team Aust jersey usually goes well)

3 hours ago, trifun said:

Remember to have something for "Swap night"  as well (like a spare team Aust jersey usually goes well)

Hmmmm. Didnt order extra for that.  Not swapping my only one!  But thanks for the heads up

15 hours ago, trifun said:

11 hours ago, Turts said:

Hmmmm. Didnt order extra for that.  Not swapping my only one!  But thanks for the heads up

Take a few t-shirts etc from Aus races. I swapped a GC Great Race T-shirt for a US team uniform when I went. No idea why. :)

I wouldn't wear either andI could have used the t-shirt for a bike rag, but the US uniform was lycra, so it wasn't any good for that even.

On 5/21/2017 at 8:45 AM, Turts said:

Sounds like a fun trip, some great places to visit. Trying to get some training in after I leave Melbourne 10 days before is going to be challening but have booked a couple of nights in Galway at a hotel connected to a private health club and plan to do some mountain biking over there as well.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Evil Guru said:

Sounds like a fun trip, some great places to visit. Trying to get some training in after I leave Melbourne 10 days before is going to be challening but have booked a couple of nights in Galway at a hotel connected to a private health club and plan to do some mountain biking over there as well.

Yeah, mine might be a fair taper.  We arrive n Europe 10 days before.  Most likely just some running unless the hotels are well equipped. 

I'm thinking of flying into London and then driving over...

On 04/05/2017 at 9:06 PM, BogFrog said:

Elitism me thinks

Umm.....ideally shouldn't that be exactly what a world championships is all about?

1 person likes this