I made sprint and std, but picked std.

So Turts is in for Standard

• Like 8

TenPints    702
24 minutes ago, Turts said:

Whos in? 

I made sprint and std, but picked std.

So Turts is in for Standard

Awesome work Turtle and massive congratulations!

KieranR    103
27 minutes ago, Peter said:

where is it happening and when?

Rotterdam September 14-17 i believe

• Like 1

Turts    1,926
1 hour ago, TenPints said:

I'm in!

Sprint distance. They took 11 from my AG.

Great work!! 

They took 8 in mine for std.

We'll have that beer!!

• Like 1

Turts    1,926

So TA posted it on facebook. 

One iffy comment.   "Stack your bank accounts"

Guess technology isnt the only thing fitness buddy doesnt like

MissJess    274

LOL well the price of the uniforms, race entry fee, transport of your bike....

I guess next years guys get to cheap out a little, but you have to be top 5 AG or ex-pro, or just really old to make GC.

Turts    1,926

Team membership bout the same as ironman rego. Tri suit bout 200. Accom and flights up to u, but not greatly unreasonable in comparison to say doin an o/s IM

FatPom    2,147
1 hour ago, Turts said:

Team membership bout the same as ironman rego. Tri suit bout 200. Accom and flights up to u, but not greatly unreasonable in comparison to say doin an o/s IM

I was reading about the requirements for the US team ( on ST I think), they have to buy a load of casual wear as well.

Edited by FatPom

ironpo    2,735
9 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I was reading about the requirements for the US team ( on ST I think), they have to buy a load of casual wear as well.

Yes

you had to do this here also when I did it 

the cost of the uniforms was over 700$ but I think they have dropped all the extra stuff now 

Turts    1,926
18 minutes ago, FatPom said:

You only have to buy a race suit ( but if you have a 2016 one you can wear that).

They throw in shorts and polo. Anything else is optional.

• Like 1

Cat Lady    279
2 hours ago, MissJess said:

I guess next years guys get to cheap out a little, but you have to be top 5 AG or ex-pro, or just really old to make GC.

not top 5 AG or ex-pro, which leaves the last for me :wheelchair:

• Like 2

Sully01    5

Interestingly enough Age Group Worlds on par with Kona now. Kona 2014 and 2015 entries were approx $1000 ( slightly more in 2015 due to conversion rate depending on which IM you qualified in). Tri Aus provided the team manager on site for the week, the mechanic and a shirt for parade of nations at no cost. Suit not compulsory but they had an option to buy a suit. 

Age Group Worlds $975 plus a compulsory suit if you don't already have one. Entry is $525 and apparently the other $450pp goes towards paying for the team manger, a dr and bike mechanic as well as pasta dinner, insurance and a polo and shorts. 

Team accomodation is $800 for 4 nights (twin share) or you can book the Marriott twin share for $800 cheaper. 

Will be interesting to see what they do with the athlete contribution in 2018 seeing as though the event insurance should be covered under the normal season policy, entry fee should be reduced as it's not converted to euro and there's no need for the dr, team manager and mechanic to travel internationally or at all if they are sourced locally. If they select 20 across all age groups and charge the $1000/head then it could be a profitable year for the bottom line of TA. Smart considering they will no doubt fill it.. 

• Like 1

BogFrog    123
7 hours ago, MissJess said:

Surely top 20 AG?  Or am I missing something?

Go Easy    1,161
14 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

I'm pretty sure it's the Top 25 AG for the home nation.

Top 20 AG for everyone else.

• Like 1

Go Easy    1,161

Great work Turts & Ten Pints, you'll both have a ball.

You've done the hard work, you're in the team, now just go and enjoy it!

• Like 4

trifun    145
1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

I'm pretty sure it's the Top 25 AG for the home nation.

Top 20 AG for everyone else.

I think the info release date is 1/7/17,

personally I preferred it back when it was three spots per AG per country (though the host got six), that let them run all the races on the same day and the same course, and the same rules +  the race organisers raised their cash through sponsorships, not using the AGs to fund the bottom line (bit I guess I get a bit nostalgic).

PS: Did an event the other week where the pre race briefing re drafting included: "basically, don't be a tool"

A2K    569
20 hours ago, MissJess said:

That's what I'm counting on.

MissJess    274
13 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Yeah top 20, but you will see it filled with top 5-10 from each main state (NSW/VIC/QLD) so in reality you need to be top 5 in your non-club racing to do GC. I'm not sure racing smart will help in my AG. I'm mid/back pack, I might try for 2019 as it's in Switzerland, that should scare some given the price.

ironpo    2,735
15 hours ago, trifun said:

PS: Did an event the other week where the pre race briefing re drafting included: "basically, don't be a tool"

If they cut out the tools in this sport the numbers would be pretty low at races 

FatPom    2,147
17 hours ago, trifun said:

Best briefing I ever went to was just before the start at a Sri Chinmoy race in Canberra. The RD just said,

'watch the gravel at the bike turnaround, have fun and be good to each other'

Turts    1,926

Not much love for the event around here.

Yes you pay your own way, but kona is a "world champs" and you pay. 

A few negative comments over various threads about the qualifying, cost etc. Why so negative? It is what it is, and it getsbpeople interested in doing a range of smaller (often) races. 

Also a lot of excuses for why people dont want to try and go.  If you dont want to, just dont. 

• Like 3

Go Easy    1,161
8 minutes ago, Turts said:

A few negative comments over various threads about the qualifying, cost etc. Why so negative? It is what it is, and it getsbpeople interested in doing a range of smaller (often) races. 

Also a lot of excuses for why people dont want to try and go.  If you dont want to, just dont. 

You hear the same rubbish every year.  Don't sweat it, you did what was required as per TA's qualification criteria and gained the spot you deserved.  The top level of most sports are filled with people who could actually afford to do them.  If the general population were all presented with the same opportunities and equipment to achieve in their chosen sports then the leader boards would look very different.  Like you said 'it is what it is' and you have done all that you needed to do to be there, just like hundreds of other athletes have done to represent their own countries.  I'm sure most people realise that.

I've been to several world champs and have had a great time at each of them.  I've had a beer with both yourself and Stu and I'm sure you guys will be the same as me and will make the most of the experience when you get there.  Once again well done on making the team, now go and have a blast!

• Like 7