roxii

IMOZ Pro list (short and sweet)

67 posts in this topic

It used to be you could have your Christmas pudding have a big New Years, sober up then you had 12 weeks to get sorted for Ironman.

(except for 99 which was in May and was a disaster) 

I went and watched in 2009 when it was almost cancelled due to inclement weather/serious flooding...

Great pro field Shortis, Patrick Verney, , Berkel, DeBoom, Twailsek, Dr Mitch and even PJ (before he got really good before he got shit), numerous others that I had no clue about...

Female winner some bird named Chrissie....although only other half decet fpros were steffen and keat

2 hours ago, Shuffla said:

I did my first IM at Port in 2007. Was last weekend in March. Was either last week in March or first week of April until at least 2010.

2007 was my first as well, back in the day when Ironman was hard.

Edited by Rog

20 minutes ago, Rog said:

2007 was my first as well, back in the day when Ironman was hard.

Nah. It was soft by then. :) 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Shuffla said:

I did my first IM at Port in 2007. Was last weekend in March. Was either last week in March or first week of April until at least 2010.

Yep

From memory imoz got soft as soon as it left Forster.

2 people like this

Nah, it was when the bicycles stopped being penny farthings and neck to knee bathing suits weren't compulsory anymore

1 person likes this

What do you have to do to turn pro? I know a couple of people who have turned pro recently that weren't even making the podium in their AG. 

Just now, zed said:

What do you have to do to turn pro? I know a couple of people who have turned pro recently that weren't even making the podium in their AG. 

Nuffin

just pay for a pro license 

13 minutes ago, Rocket Salad said:

From memory imoz got soft as soon as it left Forster.

Agree.

I remember the real tough people could do IMNZ and then back up 4 weeks later and do Forster.  And usually go faster.

People also didn't draft back at Forster. It wasn't until Busso came in that we even knew about drafting.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

I remember the real tough people could do IMNZ and then back up 4 weeks later and do Forster.  And usually go faster.

They went faster because it was easier not this so called "harder back in the day" :lol:

Every man and his dog has done an Ironman these days and all the old guys don't like to be shown up by the fat bucket listers so therefore it naturally has to be "harder back in my day" :P:o

2 people like this

34 minutes ago, Peter said:

Agree.

People also didn't draft back at Forster. It wasn't until Busso came in that we even knew about drafting.

Not quite correct....... It may have been late 90's but one year about 190 people broke 5 hours at Forster (massive draft fest). I can't recall but it was either the year after or maybe the year before but only 8 people broke 5 hours 7 pro's and 1 age grouper (Cameron Howe).

Ps: I did both NZ and Forster in 2000 (5 weeks apart) perfect timing. 10:32 and 10:54. Diahreoha wipe me out in the lead up for Forster too. So going faster loading is plausible when doing back to back. Just never proven by me :(

Thats what happens when your a shit athlete :(

18 hours ago, Rog said:

I think at the moment Port & Cairns are too close and cannibalising each other's competitors (including Pros). Cairns also offers a lot more PRO points if you want to qualify for Hawaii as it is the Asia Pacific champs so if you're a pro and have Kona ambitions there's no way you'd waste your time doing Port.

Port was originally run first week of April but because of the (now deceased) IM Melbourne, it was pushed back by about a month.

IMO it's a bit too late in the season and should be moved back to where it was.

Spot on, I recently got asked for a few opinions from TriNSW and one of the things I said, if you run the sport, you need to move club champs back to May if you still wish to hold it and who knows if they do after this years entry levels, then move Port to the first weekend in April.  This would fix in NSW it's club champs, then assist the two IM's in Port n Cairns.  Which is a win win for Australian triathlon. 

Guess you have to consider from IM's point of view, bringing OZ and NZ back close together.   With the decline of the sport, might be more appetite from them to have NZ in March and Cairns in June as IMOZ.  But again, ironman doesn't run the sport in Australia, and Australian triathlon shouldn't suffer due to other countries or a companies need.  Sure people can do three races,..... so you really only two need races when you think planning, organising, rate of return.  I'm sure smarter people then me can run last year and see how many did   NZ/OZ/Cairns..... if people don't do three, why pay to put on three, host two and still get the same entry levels.....

All I know, is if I ran the sport in this country, and based on existing IM's, I would be telling IM your Port race in now first weekend in April  which worked well with the daylight saving time change that weekend, that in turn seperates Port from Cairns by eight weeks. 

1 person likes this

35 minutes ago, nealo said:

Every man and his dog has done an Ironman these days and all the old guys don't like to be shown up by the fat bucket listers so therefore it naturally has to be "harder back in my day" :P:o

You weren't around back when it was harder so your opinion has no solid ground to be based on.  :P:o

Dont forget Forster had a course change too so was even harderer in the late 90's 

1 person likes this

I think 2 or 3 got under 5 hrs on the bike in 1990, and Cedaro was the only one to scrape under 9hrs for the race.

But I actually thought it was much easier than the year before when I took nearly an hour longer.:)

Gotta love the internet

1990.png

and Kona qualifiers

1990a.png

Geez there are some names in that lot. 

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, roxii said:

Geez there are some names in that lot. 

Agree.  All hard men.  When the sport was, you know.  HARD.

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Agree.  All hard men.  When the sport was, you know.  HARD.

Seems like an easy swim by the times, but hell, I'll take it. :)

IM was certainly centred around NSW in those days. Only 9 qualifiers from outside of NSW.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

If ironman brought back a qualification rule they would be called out for a money grab.  Cant win.

1 person likes this

Tim Reed by 20 minutes......

Laura Siddall by 20 minutes

Dave Dellow is the only one that will push him in that group if he is in shape. Clayton to do the usual go till you blow, then pull a hammie somewhere between 140km on the bike and 10km on the run. Hope I am wrong though. Be good to see Foxy improve on his Busso result

1 person likes this

Shit times back then.

It wasn't hard, they were just slow. Should've trained more and gone faster.

4 people like this