roxii

IMOZ Pro list (short and sweet)

67 posts in this topic

Not a bad list at least for the blokes I reckon

shame about the lady's 

i ran into chris MacDonald yesterday , I've known him for years and he has managed to turn himself (big sexy) into a huge brand in the US

good to see him racing back here after many years (his brother lives here in port ) , if he is in top form he should go close to winning

be interesting to see how foxy goes , I'm sure mjk has him fireing on all cylinders 

cheersIvp

It's pretty upsetting to see #23 blank.  Really feel for Lauren.

1 person likes this

Sorry but who's #23?

Nathan Shearer stepping up to PRO, he's the current 25-29 world champ.

2 people like this

18 minutes ago, Rog said:

Sorry but who's #23?

Lauren Parker

It's time to abandon the women's race at ironman oz. 

just double the cash and points for cairns for the women. 

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

It's pretty upsetting to see #23 blank.  Really feel for Lauren.

Very sad.

It's the same weekend as Busso, might have been a few more ladies, if it had been a different weekend?

1 hour ago, Rog said:

Nathan Shearer stepping up to PRO, he's the current 25-29 world champ.

I seem to recall that he has already raced as a pro somewhere.....perhaps IM NZ?

To me the numbers of Pro's is very small, clearly you can see that with the women, but is 13 for the males acceptable?, I'm only new to the sport but inst IMOZ one of the older races globally?  thats what  the you tube video from 2015 says at its 30th anniversary, I thought this race would pull more pros than whats appearing on this list  racing against small numbers isn't much fun in my books, i used to race Karts growing up and a couple of my divisions at some stages only had 3-4 drivers, I lost interest as i wasn't able to race against a bigger field, the challenge wasn't there anymore.

Not saying the apparently small fields are not going to be competitive, its just small numbers are't appealing to me.  Will be interesting to see the turnout of female and male pros in Cairns in 6 weeks.

Dilution of the brand Kieran, When Port was a stand alone IM back "when the sport was hard" (ie more than 10 years ago), they used to easily get 13 international pros competing, now they don't even get that many including the locals.  Mind you the race itself used to sell out back then for AGers as well though, but you didn't have the luxury of an IM race on just about every weekend of the year back then as well. 

Has Fetell had a win at this distance yet?  Wouldn't mind seeing him for the win against that field

12 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Dilution of the brand Kieran, When Port was a stand alone IM back "when the sport was hard" (ie more than 10 years ago), they used to easily get 13 international pros competing, now they don't even get that many including the locals.  Mind you the race itself used to sell out back then for AGers as well though, but you didn't have the luxury of an IM race on just about every weekend of the year back then as well. 

Has Fetell had a win at this distance yet?  Wouldn't mind seeing him for the win against that field

Yeah fair point, Fettel needs to put together a good marathon before he gets a win i think.  You are right with the number of races every other weekend to choose from, thats automatically going to cause depleted fields i guess, i see Vietnam 70.3 is on this weekend as well as Busso half, thats automatically 2 other races in our region that are going to be pulling away Pro's from IMOZ this weekend potentially.

I think at the moment Port & Cairns are too close and cannibalising each other's competitors (including Pros). Cairns also offers a lot more PRO points if you want to qualify for Hawaii as it is the Asia Pacific champs so if you're a pro and have Kona ambitions there's no way you'd waste your time doing Port.

Port was originally run first week of April but because of the (now deceased) IM Melbourne, it was pushed back by about a month.

IMO it's a bit too late in the season and should be moved back to where it was.

Edited by Rog
6 people like this

4 hours ago, ironpo said:

Not a bad list at least for the blokes I reckon

shame about the lady's 

i ran into chris MacDonald yesterday , I've known him for years and he has managed to turn himself (big sexy) into a huge brand in the US

good to see him racing back here after many years (his brother lives here in port ) , if he is in top form he should go close to winning

be interesting to see how foxy goes , I'm sure mjk has him fireing on all cylinders 

cheersIvp

Id like to see Chris win. Met him at the first Ironman China. Yes, he's spent far too long in the US but for good reason. Go where the money is :)

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Rog said:

I think at the moment Port & Cairns are too close and cannibalising each other's competitors (including Pros). Cairns also offers a lot more PRO points if you want to qualify for Hawaii as it is the Asia Pacific champs so if you're a pro and have Kona ambitions there's no way you'd waste your time doing Port.

Port was originally run first week of April but because of the (now deceased) IM Melbourne, it was pushed back by about a month.

Spot on with all points

but they are never gunna move it back to late march or April as this place is dead as when we got here on sat and even still is now so IM will bring in lots of $$$$ on a week that would be completely dead 

if they put it back a month it would be in the middle middle of the still busy time of Easter , Anzac Day/weekend and school holidays 

so the business of port wouldn't want it moved back unfortunately 

cheersIvp

So with 5 female pro's, is it everyone wins a prize, like primary school races?

I've noticed this year a couple of European, Canadian & US races are Male Pro only, or Female Pro only. Maybe it's time to do that here. 

9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So with 5 female pro's, is it everyone wins a prize, like primary school races?

I've noticed this year a couple of European, Canadian & US races are Male Pro only, or Female Pro only. Maybe it's time to do that here. 

I've been saying that for 10 years. 

All pro golfers who make the cut get a pay day. Why shouldn't the five females - provided they all finish within 10% of the winners finishing time. Third tier (ie. not Kona, not one of the 6 regional championships) IM pro races serve a clear purpose of growing the sport. Allows past Kona winners and other prequalified a validation option outside the pressure cooker of a regional championship. Allows journey-men & women pros a trade to make a modest living. Allows newbies a good step up. Leave it as it is - just move it back to between the end of summer school holidays and Easter - 9-10 weeks before Cairns 

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Rog said:

Can't recall Port being in April since 2010...... If at all. Foster was always April usually early give or take.... Depending when school hols and Easter fell. I just always remember always being in a T-Shirt, being at Forster main beach having a good chat to everyone and starting the run with it being hot and sweaty........and wanting to jump off the bridge as you run over it. 

Now all I do is pack a long sleeve top for the run!

Ps: Foster was always 5 weeks after NZ too.

6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Can't recall Port being in April since 2010...... If at all. Foster was always April usually early give or take.... Depending when school hols and Easter fell. I just always remember always being in a T-Shirt, being at Forster main beach having a good chat to everyone and starting the run with it being hot and sweaty........and wanting to jump off the bridge as you run over it. 

Now all I do is pack a long sleeve top for the run!

Ps: Foster was always 5 weeks after NZ too.

Wasn't  foster ALLWAYS the last weekend in march

pretty sure when I did my first it was 23 march

imnz is also later in the year than from years ago 

when I did the NZ IMOZ double the first time I'm pretty sure it was 4 weeks gap which is perfect , now it's too long a space 

Just now, ironpo said:

Wasn't  foster ALLWAYS the last weekend in march

pretty sure when I did my first it was 23 march

imnz is also later in the year than from years ago 

when I did the NZ IMOZ double the first time I'm pretty sure it was 4 weeks gap which is perfect , now it's too long a space 

They did change this around when IM smelbourne came in , but port was last week in April then but it interfered with the Anzac weekend in 2010 as when we came a week early as normal we had to pay extra as it was the Anzac long weekend

we also went to the Anzac Day service down at town green 

8 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

All pro golfers who make the cut get a pay day. Why shouldn't the five females - provided they all finish within 10% of the winners finishing time. Third tier (ie. not Kona, not one of the 6 regional championships) IM pro races serve a clear purpose of growing the sport. Allows past Kona winners and other prequalified a validation option outside the pressure cooker of a regional championship. Allows journey-men & women pros a trade to make a modest living. Allows newbies a good step up. Leave it as it is - just move it back to between the end of summer school holidays and Easter - 9-10 weeks before Cairns 

Totally agree

but IM isn't about pros , agers or even us trannies with great ideas for the sport it's all about $$$$$

but I reckon if IMOZ was earlier in the year it would be getting more on the start line

its just too cold to enjoy port at its best

1 person likes this

I did my first IM at Port in 2007. Was last weekend in March. Was either last week in March or first week of April until at least 2010.

2 people like this