Andrew #1

Winterfish

136 posts in this topic

3.4km in the Dam this morning. First time I've ever swum there in Winter. What a glorious morning. Not a cloud in the sky, the sun coming up over the wall, and the surface of the dam like a mirror.

I just wish I hadn't had to crack a whole in the ice to get in. F#@^ it was cold.

2 people like this

I've come to a grinding halt. Started OK then got sick, was palnning to pick up the K's this week but crashed the bike on the weekend and haven't wanted to jump in the pool with the open wounds on arm and hip. Have a race in the USA in 70 days so hopefully back in the pool next week and try again!

Well, after 2 pool closures, nature has stepped in and created an algae bloom in the dam I swim at. I just can't win.

Add to that: I set the alarm early this morning so I could do the extra drive out to Albany Creek pool to get a session in. I woke up a couple minutes before the alarm (or so I thought) so started getting ready. I was about 5km down the road when I realised the moon was still higher than it should have been in the western sky. I took a better look at my watch & realised it was just before 3am.

After getting an extra 90 minutes sleep, I finally managed 3.5km this morning. :)

2 people like this

On 2017-6-2 at 6:02 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

3.4km in the Dam this morning. First time I've ever swum there in Winter. What a glorious morning. Not a cloud in the sky, the sun coming up over the wall, and the surface of the dam like a mirror.

I just wish I hadn't had to crack a whole in the ice to get in. F#@^ it was cold.

You'll have to get a picture for us.

1 hour ago, zed said:

You'll have to get a picture for us.

DSC_1576.thumb.JPG.16dd40f087b0d6c49022c1f1ae33a068.JPG

This was after the swim. :)

Nice. Is it clear or muddy?

Normally quite clear, though not as clear as an ocean swim. There's just been an algal bloom come up though. Started on the weekend and is quite bad now. You come out covered in a reddish slime layer which doesn't look good. I'm giving it a miss for another few days and will have another look on the weekend.

I have to update the sheet, I think I'm finished or very close to finished, on holidays here in Townsville catching up with family and friends after IM Cairns so decided to do the ship to shore race with the local OWS club this morning, the whether was superb and I didn't get eaten by any of our resident crocs! 

IMG_4001.PNG

IMG_4005.JPG

IMG_4006.JPG

IMG_4007.JPG

IMG_4008.JPG

IMG_4009.PNG

Well done Kieran. Are you planning on the Magnetic Island race as well. I'd love to get up there to do that one year, but the only time recently I've had the opportunity, it was cancelled because of said "resident croc".

My Winterfish was going great, sitting well above the average I needed, and with a 10km OW swim planned for today with a few mates, it was all going to be done & dusted a day early. Then came man-flu. I've been an absolute mess the last week. I swam 2.5km last Monday, and pretty much from the moment I got out I knew that was the end for me.

Good luck to all those trying to finish off their 50 or 100km by tomorrow.

Nah ex, I fly back to Karratha on Wednesday, the Maggie island qualifier swim is next weekend on the strand, if I was still here for the race I for sure would do the qualifier and the race. Just looking at my numbers I might be 1 or two km short, good incentive to go for a swim in the rock pool tomorrow morning

Finished! Just snuck it in with a 4.2k this morning to take it to 103.2k for the 50 days. This included 1 1/2 weeks off to let a shoulder niggle subside, so happy with that. Brings it to 380.8k for the year so far now.

gw

1 person likes this