Andrew #1

Winterfish

136 posts in this topic

A good 4km session this morning. I needed it after a weekend spent practicing legs 1, 3, 5 & 7 of the beer mile. After being 4.1km up after 5 days, I finished the first week 100m above schedule. I just found out this morning the pool is closing 1 week early this year, so I only have this week & next to get in some big miles. 

what a horrible swim i had last night, 1.75km of torture, ended up grabbing a pull buoy for 1500m, my legs have not forgiven me for the 150km ride on Sunday, i felt like i was going backwards in the pool last night.  still sore today so i have put off my run until tonight.

Managed just 1.6km today. It was HORRIBLE! No idea what's wrong with me but I could not swim for some reason! My Sydney Stag on Saturday might still be having lingering effects!

Duplicate of above... The forum is being weird!

Edited by monkie

On Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Where are you Kieran? You should try an Open Water 5km swim. I find it much easier to do than endless lengths in the pool. There are a number of venues in Sydney for organised swims, and I'm sure a trannie or 2 will do some extra to make it out to 5km. If in Brisbane you can join me at Enoggera Dam any weekend morning. just let me know in advance & we might tempt Cranky down. There's also a few from the Brisbane OWS group that are out there most weekends.

Yep, if it works with the family, I'm in. 

Edited by Cranky

OK, after issues with the "good" shoulder in mon mornings (cut short) session, it felt good by that evening so still did tues morning session as planned and all good with the world :) .Then wed mornings sess I had to stop at 3.5k (planned 4.4k) this time due to pain in the "dodgy" shoulder  :rolleyes:. No signs or pain before the swim but felt it from the first stroke. Why? Can only think mon, tues I was favouring the not so good "good" shoulder and loading up what was the goodish bad shoulder. Kept pushing through but eventually stopped. Still quite painful later that morning doing nothing, but by the evening (after voltaren gel, voltaren tab, advil tabs) it felt much better. Still did the evening weights session without too many issues.

Still not confident it's OK to swim, so I'm forcing myself (and I mean FORCING) to have at least a week off. Stubbornly continuing training with something dodgy (swimming or running) is a past hallmark of mine, so I'm trying to learn! ;):) Obsesssive/compulsive, who me? :) I'll play it by ear after a week and try and force myself to s-l-o-w-l-y work back into it. Could make it hard to get to the 100k, but hey, first world problems. Cheers.

gw

Edited by gregorywannabe

This week has been an absolute nightmare. Never touched the water on the weekend. I did manage a long session on Monday, but never really felt right. Since that session, I've done 70 hours work. 

Tuesday, after 4 hours in bed, I turned the alarm off and went back to sleep for another hour. 

Wed I went to squad. I did the warm-up & half the first set, and realised I was wasting my time so got out.

Thursday was the same as Tuesday.

This morning I felt shocking in the water, and my mind wasn't in it. The transition from W/U to hard was 10 x 50 (25 steady, 25 sprint) on 50. On the 5th one, coach asked if i was OK. I realised then I'd coasted the whole 50. I didn't even think to sprint. 10 minutes later I got out.

I think I need to sleep.

Back in the UK and so went to the local leisure centre... not quite the experience I have become used to with my open air 50m pool and my own lane in Prince Alfred Park but not too bad! Managed 2.2k and will be back there next week!

On 12/05/2017 at 7:21 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

This week has been an absolute nightmare. Never touched the water on the weekend. I did manage a long session on Monday, but never really felt right. Since that session, I've done 70 hours work. 

Tuesday, after 4 hours in bed, I turned the alarm off and went back to sleep for another hour. 

Wed I went to squad. I did the warm-up & half the first set, and realised I was wasting my time so got out.

Thursday was the same as Tuesday.

This morning I felt shocking in the water, and my mind wasn't in it. The transition from W/U to hard was 10 x 50 (25 steady, 25 sprint) on 50. On the 5th one, coach asked if i was OK. I realised then I'd coasted the whole 50. I didn't even think to sprint. 10 minutes later I got out.

I think I need to sleep.

This could be my report for the week. 70 hours+ prosecuting the wannabe Walter White of Sydney ...

However I got through 3 hard ergo sessions on kickr and 3 runs, but was only in the pool twice for 3km in total.

luckily I'm out of court this week so should log in 10km+

fingers crossed

I'm still not officially in but at least I'm back to 3 times a week after a few very patchy months.

The local pool is open for the next 5 days. Going to try for at least 15km, maybe 20. Life's going to try to get in the way, I just know it.

2.5km this morning. Just about to finish work, but cbf going back to the pool. I did get a couple of people interested in 100 x 100 this Friday for our last day. Early start, late finish, then recover at work. Sounds good to me. :)

2 people like this

OK, coach is on board. Iron Century this Friday

100 x 100s (but I'm going to woos out & do them on 105s). I figure it will take just under 3 hours at that pace, which will get me to work just in time for morning tea. 2 x bacon & egg rolls should see that done, then I can sit at my desk all day, feel those great aches & pains that only an endurance athlete learns to love, & wait for beers after work. :) 

2 people like this

Today's swim cut short due to cramping :( Was hoping to catch up a bit this week, will need to get some bigger weeks in towards the end.

On 15/05/2017 at 4:44 PM, Andrew #1 said:

1.8km today

1.2km yesterday

3.3km today

2.3km planned for tomorrow

Port Stephens Olympic distance tri on Saturday. (2km including warm up) should see well past 10km for the week & back on track!

2 people like this

I broke my duck today, mid way through week 3.

I think I will struggle to make the 50 .....

6 minutes ago, Tyno said:

I broke my duck today, mid way through week 3.

I think I will struggle to make the 50 .....

Come out the dam on the weekend & do a couple km.

Struggled big time this afternoon. Fear I'm getting the sickness that is going around. Was swimming pretty well, then, BAM! could hardly lift the arms out of the water. Happened over about 25 meters. Had a rest once I barely made it to then end, tried again but had nothing. Called it a day and feel exhausted. See how tomorrow goes....

Also, what's with people wearing HRMs in the pool? Never seen anyone done it and tonight there were 2 different blokes wearing them.

3 hours ago, Kenneth said:

Also, what's with people wearing HRMs in the pool? Never seen anyone done it and tonight there were 2 different blokes wearing them.

I've seen it quite a bit, they tend to take it off after one or two laps when the thing keeps sliding down their torso. I also see the same people mucking about with their flash new watch they have no idea how to work. 

A fairl light week in the pool for me this week, think ill round out at about 1hr 45 min for the week, maybe 5km tops all up.

9 hours ago, Kenneth said:

5 hours ago, KieranR said:

I've seen it quite a bit, they tend to take it off after one or two laps when the thing keeps sliding down their torso. I also see the same people mucking about with their flash new watch they have no idea how to work. 

A guy in the slow lane of our group swims with one. He has no issue with it sliding down as his chest is the narrowest part of his torso. :) 

2 people like this

19 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Come out the dam on the weekend & do a couple km

Isn't all of Brisbane supposed to be a dam this weekend?

What day are you planning? I'm soft, will I be too cold?

4 hours ago, Tyno said:

Isn't all of Brisbane supposed to be a dam this weekend?

What day are you planning? I'm soft, will I be too cold?

I'll be out there at sunrise. Probably around 6am. I won't be taking a wetsuit Saturday, but will make my decision then about Sunday. I swam there a week ago without one and it was fine, but my brother's telling me I'm insane, and it's just my body-fat letting me do that. :)

I have failed completely. Wedding admin has taken control!