Andrew #1

Winterfish

136 posts in this topic

You lads just use a wetsuit in winter ?  Any other stuff worn or the body copes ok with a long sleeve wetsuit only ?

9 minutes ago, skinnee said:

You lads just use a wetsuit in winter ?  Any other stuff worn or the body copes ok with a long sleeve wetsuit only ?

If you have a local heated pool, then no need, but for me, I'll either be in the wettie at the local dam, or sans wettie in the ocean.

I am in Brisbane though. Doubtless I'd be in a wettie in the ocean down south.

Have a both but want to keep open water swimming during winter if possible 

1 hour ago, skinnee said:

Have a both but want to keep open water swimming during winter if possible 

A few of the nutters (this is the correct term for this lot) I swim with will be swimming through to August without wetsuits in prep for the cold waters of the English channel. At the moment one of them is finishing his swims, then jumping in an ice-bath for another hour just to get used to it. I'm going to feel like a right pansy when I put mine on in a couple weeks, but at least it's going to keep me out there.

Can I play?  1st timer for the 50km.  Did 2.1km last night

Edited by KieranR

Yep I'm in! Anything to keep me honest and swimming through the dry... yes, I know I know, nothing on you guys down south ;) still cold for what we're used to though!

2.6km this morning.

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Can I play?  1st timer for the 50km.  Did 2.1km last night

3 minutes ago, emski said:

Yep I'm in! Anything to keep me honest and swimming through the dry... yes, I know I know, nothing on you guys down south ;) still cold for what we're used to though!

2.6km this morning.

I've added you both to the spreadsheet and put in your first swims. Just follow the link below each day to update.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-29DCADFX8P4HIvSocurBzFOZpwoANmR_IB9-uAp53s/edit#gid=0

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, Go Easy said:

2.5km Straight swim with Pool Buoy between ankles.

Plus 3km today, again straight Freestyle with Pool Buoy at ankles.  Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead.

(Lucky there's no cut-off time on the winterfish swims).

I tried a couple lengths with the PB between the ankles this morning. Bloody uncomfortable, and started hurting my back. I'll keep it between the thighs thanks, where it's wedged in good & proper by the extra fat muscular thighs.

2 people like this

I'm in for 100k. Cheating a bit (lot?) as I've never done a tri.

I like to swim and run which is why I visit this forum. The content seems to mirror the relative distances of each discipline in an IM. :)

gw

3.7km this morning, and starting to build the buffer I'm going to need once the pool closes.

Currently I'm trying to convince myself that I should put the scotch down so I can start early & get another 3+km in tomorrow. :)

I'm failing miserably. Managed 1.5k on day one but had to leave early for a meeting (should have got up earlier I know). I've then had a 24 hour trip to Singapore... hope to jump in the ocean tomorrow but looking unlikely. Gonna have to do some beast sets towards the back end!

33 minutes ago, monkie said:

Gonna have to do some beast sets towards the back end!

I'm thinking of a 10km OWS in the next week or 2 to get that buffer I'm going to need.

Plus another 1.5km straight FS with PB between ankles.

Three days into the 50k's in 50 days and that's 7km done...  Now for next week's swims!

1 person likes this

Not so many takers this year... 

There's probably a few people like me who sometimes don't visit the site for a few weeks at a time.  To keep the late comers interested what if they just enter a default 1km for each day they've missed (maybe shade the entry in grey or red so we know it's a dummy entry) and then just continue to log the K's they swim.  It's still pretty cool to aim for 40k's in 40 days or 30k's in 30 days etc.  There's probably even one player from another thread who might even like the 1k in 1 day option!

I'm not 'in' but did a 1k today - means I'm only 1k behind - until tomorrow... 

And where are Mank and -H-??

2.2km this morning. Not as far as I'd hoped last night, but I had to be home by 6, so happy with what I got.

2.5km with the PB crew at Prince Alfred Park. Upon an impromptu invitation from coach Chris. I Led out a lane for a middle of the pack bunch who were starting to struggle from a 5km morning session. ... Might start doing there Thursday morning & Saturday lunchtime 5 km sessions. That's 10km per week right there!

Edited by Andrew #1

14 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

2.5km with the PB crew at Prince Alfred Park. Upon an impromptu invitation from coach Chris. I Led out a lane for a middle of the pack bunch who were starting to struggle from a 5km morning session. ... Might start doing there Thursday morning & Saturday lunchtime 5 km sessions. That's 10km per week right there!

Nice work, a 5km swim during winter is my goal, never swam more than 3.8km in one hit.

20 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Nice work, a 5km swim during winter is my goal, never swam more than 3.8km in one hit.

Where are you Kieran? You should try an Open Water 5km swim. I find it much easier to do than endless lengths in the pool. There are a number of venues in Sydney for organised swims, and I'm sure a trannie or 2 will do some extra to make it out to 5km. If in Brisbane you can join me at Enoggera Dam any weekend morning. just let me know in advance & we might tempt Cranky down. There's also a few from the Brisbane OWS group that are out there most weekends.

33 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Where are you Kieran? You should try an Open Water 5km swim. I find it much easier to do than endless lengths in the pool. There are a number of venues in Sydney for organised swims, and I'm sure a trannie or 2 will do some extra to make it out to 5km. If in Brisbane you can join me at Enoggera Dam any weekend morning. just let me know in advance & we might tempt Cranky down. There's also a few from the Brisbane OWS group that are out there most weekends.

Im in Karratha, formally Townsville, Townsville i used to swim inside the stinger nets but got bored after about 2km of swimming in squares, here in Karratha I dont know anyone to OWS with, but i did ask the local stand up paddle club yesterday if anyone would be keen to paddle beside me while i OWS in one of the bays here in the next few weeks and i got some positive responses.  It's quite sharky here so having a water safety is important in my view...how do i know its sharky? i spear fish and dive here, see lots of the buggers.  with Cairns IM in a few weeks i need to do more OWS anyway, the best bay to swim here i can do about 400m across before turning back so it should be ok.

Even the people here that have been training for the Lake Argyle swim have been 100% pool training according to one lady i talk to at the pool.

Thanks for the offer though, maybe if im ever in Brisbane to see my brother ill catch up for a swim with you. - I'm a slow swimmer

Edited by KieranR
1 person likes this

Another 2km after work this afternoon. 16x100M on 1:45 main set

Hmmmm, note to self. Do NOT clip hedges (above shoulder height) for an hour. Next morning (today) had to cut short a planned 4.2k session to 2.7k due to shoulder pain. Not really muscular either, more jointish? tendonish? ligamentish? :( Will see how it goes at tomorrow morning's swim.

gw