Andrew #1

Winterfish

97 posts in this topic

Winter is coming Jon Snow!

whose in?

start date?

1 person likes this

It's not Winter, but May 1 makes for an easy start.

I'm in, and will aim for 100. The pools will all be closed for the last 20 days, but I have a wetsuit now (thanks Roxii), so I should be able to join the nutters that are training in the dam through Winter in speedos, preparing for the Channel.

nooooooooo!!!!  After a few months out of the water I've started the slow road (lane) back knowing this would resurface.

Right now I'm struggling to do 800m and feel like my arms are full of slowly hardening Araldite. Maybe in a week or two I might be ready to commit - I know I should.

how many days to sunny coast 70.3?

(136)

Edited by Tyno

11 hours ago, Tyno said:

how many days to sunny coast 70.3?

(136)

You entered?

Winter starts 1 June.  None of this soft May stuff. 

3 people like this

For the newbies amongst us... what's the challenge?

Been going a few years some crazy people think that winter is a good time to swim (to work on it for the upcoming season)

some aim for 50km, some for 100 km over 50 days from 1 May (even though winter not until June..)

I like the May start cos then I will at least get my 1.5km in Byron bay included... 

2 hours ago, monkie said:

For the newbies amongst us... what's the challenge?

Pretty much 50k in 50 days. You can also prove your lack of sanity and sign up for 100k in 50 days. You can also make up your own challenge - Tortoise and I swam our age last year (we're both over 50 ;)

Bottom line is to try and keep swimming through winter - doesn't really matter how much you do, just sign up and have a go.

1 person likes this

I'm in... although the first month is mainly going to be spent in the UK where it's harder to swim!

I'm in for 50 in 50, but this is part of a larger 'century' plan. 100km between 1 June and 31 August.  Sunshine Coast 70.3 in early September is my motivation!

23 hours ago, trinube said:

Bottom line is to try and keep swimming through winter - doesn't really matter how much you do, just sign up and have a go.

Timely, I haven't been on here much lately.  Haven't had a swim for about a month and wasn't likely to be going back in anytime soon... was just lacking a bit of motivation.

Ok, so have we got a spreadsheet up and running yet?  I'm keen for a 1st May start, may as well strike while the iron is hot!

Tyno, any chance of a brilliant spreadsheet like you got up last year? :)

I'm not normally one to donate to charities and as per the other thread I am against those stupid ones where people want you to donate for them doing an event.

But I'm keen on the winter fish and will donate a dollar to poor Lauren Parkers fund in the other thread for every km I pull up short of the goal.

anyone else interested?

double edge in that it will make you get into it and if not you're helping a fellow triathlete in rough times.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Nath. said:

I'm not normally one to donate to charities and as per the other thread I am against those stupid ones where people want you to donate for them doing an event.

But I'm keen on the winter fish and will donate a dollar to poor Lauren Parkers fund in the other thread for every km I pull up short of the goal.

anyone else interested?

double edge in that it will make you get into it and if not you're helping a fellow triathlete in rough times.

I'm in.

Warmed up (or should I say froze) with a 1.7km dam swim this morning. Nearly wetsuit time.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

4 hours ago, Nath. said:

anyone else interested?

Brilliant idea!  (But this could easily cost me $50.00!).

Even if it's not Lauren's fund, it could be to the charity of your choice (like our pledges a couple of years ago if you got pinged for drafting).  Either way, I'm in.

PS - Thanks for the spreadsheet Tyno.

I'll pony up for the 100.

when is the cut off date, last day of winter?

In the unlikely event I actually I go over I'll donate the same for distance over.

3.5km this morning. Off to a good start, but it was easy today with squad, and a public holiday, so no excuses to get out early.

1 person likes this

I did 1k today - could well be the only time I'm on target :)

Kicked off Fish with 2.3km this evening

2.5km Straight swim with Pool Buoy between ankles.

It hasn't been that long since I was swimming regularly, but boy I've lost some swim fitness.  That was woeful!

2.1km this morning. I should have gone further but had to get in to work earlier.

I'll need to build up a bit of a reserve before the pool shuts, and my only option becomes the frigid dam. Last year I had 74km done in the first 28 days, and still only made the 100 by less than 1km.

1 person likes this