The Turtle

disputed ebay sale - seller protection?

64 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, zed said:

He lives near me, I messaged him and suggested I pick it up, if he doesn't get back to me or whatever, I'll just leave it at that. 

Aw shit....... sorry mate, but cheers.

If it finds a home where it will be used im happy. 

I think fff was after one. Its a wrinkly bugger (from being folded) but still good. 

2 minutes ago, The Turtle said:

Dont want anyone in an awkward situation on my behalf!

I'm sure it will be fine :)

Edited by zed

If he doesn't agree to led Zed come and pick it up, then you would have to think the bloke was trying to score a free wetsuit.  

More likely the wrong size. Or damaged it himself trying it on. Technically he needs to send it back but i have to pay and its more that its worth to bother. 

If he'd been honest we could have worked something out - not just do a dispute that its "not as described" when there is not onus of proof.

A tear can be fixed with a little glue. Wrong size? Im not funding a changeroom. 

But if it's the wrong size, or he damaged it, then he would accept a solution which involves no cost or effort on his part (ie Zed picking it up). If he doesn't take that offer up, then one would think he had planned to keep the wetsuit and claim a refund all along.

Well, I gave him his refund, and messaged him it wasn't worth my while forking out for return postage (after first postage) to go through it all again. 

I said either give it to someone at the club who would use it, or zed will pick it up.  

If he'd messaged me originally about wanting to return it we could have sorted it.   We had traded friendly messages in ebay, and when he received the package he had my mailing address and mobile.  But he just did a dispute through ebay. And I never got a notification until it had been decided. 

So lesson learnt.  Never sell on ebay again. Just not worth it. They never even gave me the chance to prove it was undamaged when I sent it. 

He bid it up to 170 (minus fees and postage).

Ive been stuffed around too many times to bother anymore

I once sold a 10sp cassette on eBay and the buyer disputed it saying that "not as described" when they were expecting a Shimano lockring and I enclosed a SRAM one. Which works better.

Sometimes you have to realise there are some people who are douches!

Similar thing happened to me a few years back with some movie posters (original Mad Max daybill plus some others),

advertised with pics, pics showed they were laminated, buyer complained he did not know they were laminated 

worth $400 mint, 50 - 100 laminated, sold for $40 (ebay/paypal reversed the transaction so I had no say n it - was just "told").

by the time I got them back weeks later they were ruined from being tightly rolled up for too long

First person in, best dressed, with eBay's automated dispute "resolution" system (AKA "we don't give a f#$&, just give us your money")

NB full refund to buyer, no refund of postage or fees

They hide behind shell companies in a couple of jurisdictions (one for legal, one for tax), so you can't get any joy from them (remember the James Hardie asbestos compensation fund?).

Result: I have not used eBay since (despite people telling me to sell these 400 HBT event merch items there)

Edited by trifun

Lesson learnt then! Cheers for the feedback guys.

Zeds a star. It'll find a home somewhere.  Tranny power!

(Its amazing the attitude change after zed made contact).

2 people like this

I got your wetsuit, looks to be in good condition. The tear on the leg is only a small nick that doesn't go all the way through, bit of glue and she'll be sweet. 

IMG_2091.JPG

Edited by zed
3 people like this

Seriously is that what the guy is referring to as a tear? What a ****wit. 

5 people like this

Yeah he is a tool. Anyone with a wetsuit over 12 months has one of those. 

I sold or tried to sell a bike box.  Great nick. No issues. The guy says he will buy it for $100. A total bargain really. 

Anyway he comes and looks at it. Then questions if he can fit a 54cm road bike in it. I ride a 56cm TT bike. I tell him it fits. He then says he wants to come back and pack his bike. I tell him it's $100. Take it and if he can't fit his bike. Bring it back. 

He goes no he wants to get his bike. 

I then told him to just **** off. 

Then he got upset. Gezzz. 

Btw. Hard case. 

Edited by Peter

You want me to stick on Triathlon marketplace Turtle, you should be able to get $100 for it? Better than a kick in the teeth!

43 minutes ago, zed said:

I got your wetsuit, looks to be in condition. The tear on the leg is only a small nick that doesn't go all the way through, bit of glue and she'll be sweet. 

IMG_2091.JPG

Thanks mate, appreciate it. That looks like a pretty new cut to me.

I cant see how he couldn't have sent me a pic like that! I asked but he sent me some blury thing.

Hope i didnt make things tricky for you.

Reckon you can find it a home?

19 minutes ago, Rog said:

He whinged to ebay it was a "significant tear".  And it looks new to me

7 minutes ago, zed said:

You want me to stick on Triathlon marketplace Turtle, you should be able to get $100 for it? Better than a kick in the teeth!

Appreciate the offer, but if you can find someone who needs one, ill just do it as a pay it forward. Or sell it and take the bucks if you want. Its yours now!

5 people like this

44 minutes ago, Rog said:

37 minutes ago, Peter said:

Yeah he is a tool. Anyone with a wetsuit over 12 months has one of those. 

I sold or tried to sell a bike box.  Great nick. No issues. The guy says he will buy it for $100. A total bargain really. 

Anyway he comes and looks at it. Then questions if he can fit a 54cm road bike in it. I ride a 56cm TT bike. I tell him it fits. He then says he wants to come back and pack his bike. I tell him it's $100. Take it and if he can't fit his bike. Bring it back. 

He goes no he wants to get his bike. 

I then told him to just **** off. 

Then he got upset. Gezzz. 

Btw. Hard case. 

Yep

plenty of F wits out there and lots of em swim. , bike and run and are ALLWAYS happy to tell u about how good they are at it 

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, ironpo said:

Yep

plenty of F wits out there and lots of em swim. , bike and run and are ALLWAYS happy to tell u about how good they are at it 

Usually vegans too. ;)

2 people like this

Well done Zed.  Turts, I reckon you take Zed's offer of getting something.  After all you were not happy at all about losing 50 or so bucks on postage and added to the 170 would have most of Denmark being evacuated due to the stench.  It doesn't look like a bad wetsuit and as Rog and Pete said it is minor, so you should earn at least a couple of Pineapples.  

4 people like this

1 hour ago, GSP said:

Well done Zed.  Turts, I reckon you take Zed's offer of getting something.  After all you were not happy at all about losing 50 or so bucks on postage and added to the 170 would have most of Denmark being evacuated due to the stench.  It doesn't look like a bad wetsuit and as Rog and Pete said it is minor, so you should earn at least a couple of Pineapples.  

Yeah i see what your saying, but theres a difference between actively paying out 50 bucks for postage, and just not ever getting 170. If i got it back then sold it for 100 and then paid shipping again, id make around $40 which isn't worth the hassle.

Until now, it was sitting in my cupboard not doing anything for me anyway.

If zeds willing, I'll message fff and see if he's interested. (He doesnt come here much anymore).  It is a good wetsuit,  so aside from the small tear, its good.

The guy ended up saying he had an $800 HUUB that got cuts all over it, so he wanted one without any. Guess he has long fingernails and is hard on wetsuits!

So he probably kept the booties and gloves, and the bag i sent too. Doesnt worry me too much.