roxii

Shimano Synchro Shifting. The ins and outs

35 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Rog said:

Back on topic does anyone know how this actually works? I've watched a video and all looks nice and dandy but if a computer is deciding the "most efficient" gear for me, how will it know what this most efficient gear is? For example I ride at a lower cadence than most, will this semi/auto shifting allow for me to continue that or is it always going to shift up on me because it thinks that's not the most efficient gear?

I'm interested in the tech but not sure I understand the principle?

Rog, I do think though that we are not too far away (if the tech doesnt already exist) from being able to plug in your favoured cadence and let the drivetrain shift for you or better still if the system "learns" your ideal cadences. 

1 minute ago, roxii said:

This will be great for the relatively fast run into the bottom of MFD at Port where many go into it in the big ring, leave shifting  too late try and dump a handful of gears in a hurry front and back and drop the chain. 

U will never drop a chain with di2 though

1 minute ago, ironpo said:

U will never drop a chain with di2 though

I have,,, but it really took some work and to be fair I was trying everything I could at the time to make it happen. 

..... and it was this type of scenario, drop front and shift rear at the same time. 

3 minutes ago, roxii said:

I have,,, but it really took some work and to be fair I was trying everything I could at the time to make it happen. 

..... and it was this type of scenario, drop front and shift rear at the same time. 

Yes I've tried and failed 

and belive me MRs IP tries all the time (espually at the bottom of MFD and never managed it)

i think if it's set up correctly it "should" never happen 

Thanks roxii that makes sense now.

FWIW I drop chains pretty frequently with di2 i.e. at least once a month.

In all fairness I set it all up so you could be that I ****ed up somehow.

Edited by Rog

4 hours ago, Rog said:

Sounds like something not right if that's the case 

I have just loaded to bike and set to fully sync. that is front and rear changing from what i understand.

Easy to do on laptop, couldn't do on phone as phone to old.

Will see how it goes on tomorrows ride

1 person likes this

On 5/1/2017 at 2:33 PM, ironpo said:

Yes I've tried and failed 

and belive me MRs IP tries all the time (espually at the bottom of MFD and never managed it)

i think if it's set up correctly it "should" never happen 

On 5/1/2017 at 2:37 PM, Rog said:

On 5/1/2017 at 7:23 PM, ironpo said:

OK, so RBR dropped a chain, and I think someone else mentioned it as well. Was it Di2?

On 5/1/2017 at 5:37 AM, Rog said:

On 5/1/2017 at 10:23 AM, ironpo said:

The same sentence applies if you're dropping chains on mechanical as well.  Bad set up is a bad set up

First the set-up is not from the laptop but from the little button on the Di2 control unit. So the first ride didn't work then i re-read the very clear instructions and followed them.

Yesterdays ride was with it working. The changing up gears it works really well and was seemless; you just keep changing up so makes it kind of 1x17 in just using the right shifter.

Changing down was a bit disconcerting as you feel you are going to get stuck in to high a gear on the hill. Also it has a bit of a cadence spin as seemed to go front then rear (similar feeling to dropping your chain momentarily)

For me it took some disipline to use and not change the front ring manually. If you were new to the sport it would be good or possibly on the TT as only need shifters on the left side. If riding in a bunch one less thing to think off.

I will potentially look at moving where it shifts as it was in the area that i most commonly ride.

Overall bit like Di2 in general; nice to have, takes getting used to, could easily live without, saves thought and energy

1 person likes this