roxii

Shimano Synchro Shifting. The ins and outs

17 posts in this topic

NEW SHIMANO DI2 BATTERY OFFERS SYNCHRONIZED SHIFTING POTENTIAL FOR ULTEGRA 6870 AND DURA ACE 9070 RIDERS

With the launch of Dura-Ace R9150 came new firmware offering road riders Synchronized Shifting options between front and rear derailleurs. Now this technology has been made available to Ultegra 6800 and Dura-Ace 9070 riders who have the latest Di2 battery.

The new battery (BT-DN110) contains a memory chip that can handle the processing power required to deal with the multiple shift patterns and customizations that Synchronized Shifting brings, offering you the choice to suit your gear positioning to your personal riding style.

How to access the new features: First ensure you have the new BT-DN110 battery, which is the only battery that allows you to take advantage of automated front shifts (ie full Synchronized Shift mode), or automated rear ‘correction shifts’ (ie semi-Synchronized Shift mode).

Next, if you are a current Di2 user with compatible front (FD-6870/FD-9070/FD-9150) or rear derailleurs (RD-6870/RD- 9070/RD-9150) you can download the latest E-TUBE firmware either by a cable connection to a PC, or via Bluetooth from your tablet or smart phone to your components.

Changing modes: If you have both the firmware and the new battery it is easy to tell which shifting mode you are in with a new sequencing of lights on your external SM-EW90A/B (pictured) or internal EW-RS910 junction box.

A double click of the external button allows you to toggle between modes.

• Solid red+green lights indicate Manual Shift mode

• 2 blinks indicates Full Synchronized Shift mode

• 3 blinks indicates Semi-Synchronized Shift mode

Synchro Shift 20160419 (1).jpg

Each mode is customisable in E-TUBE, meaning you can choose different combinations and customized shift patterns if you wish (for example, two semi-Synchronized Shift modes offering different ‘correction’ shifts, or two full Synchronized Shift modes that assign a front derailleur command on differing sprockets).

For more information: A helpful video explains the benefits of E-TUBE and the potential shift mapping options here: http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/about/semisyncroshift.html

What is Synchronized Shifting? A function that allows riders to concentrate on only up or down shifting the rear derailleur while the Di2 system automatically picks the right gear combination from both the front and the rear derailleur. Even in Synchronized Shift mode riders still have full control over the front derailleur. Synchronized Shifting is designed to complement rather than replace manual shifting, and is especially useful when you are using auxiliary sprint, climbing or TT shifters, or, for Dura-Ace, the shifters on the top of the hoods.

With one press of the rear shifting lever, the function can achieve the optimal front/rear gear for your personal riding style. The E-TUBE PROJECT app or website can be used to pre-set exactly when changes take place.

What is Semi-Synchronized Shifting? Rather than automatically shifting the front derailleur, semi-Synchronized Shifting mode automatically shifts the rear derailleur when the front derailleur is shifted. This allows riders to obtain optimal gear transitions for smoother riding.

Again, the E-TUBE PROJECT app or website can be used to determine exactly when this change takes place. What is manual mode? Manual mode is the system all Dura-Ace Di2 and Ultegra Di2 riders had access to until this point. Manual mode provides an automatic trim adjustment on the front derailleur but there is no corresponding gear shift of the front derailleur based on the shift action of the rear derailleur, or vice versa.

Synchro Shift 20160419 (2).jpg

seems like a perfectly rational development of the e shifting systems.

eventually, the whole transmission system will auto shift/adapt without rider involvement, other than pedalling & sweating etc

25 minutes ago, AVAGO said:

seems like a perfectly rational development of the e shifting systems.

eventually, the whole transmission system will auto shift/adapt without rider involvement, other than pedalling & sweating etc

I don't sweat 

I sparkle 

1 person likes this

i wonder if i can hook it to the internal motor then it will be like riding an automatic.

1 person likes this

On 21/04/2017 at 3:41 PM, ironpo said:

I don't sweat 

I sparkle 

Mr Sparkle. 

If ...  no. ...  when. I get back on the bike, this will be my first upgrade :)  (Battery).  

Amazing to think how crappy gear changing was before indexed systems.(late 80s). Keeping the front deurallier in one spot was challenging enough ie tension on the lever non slip etc. Best thing Shimano ever did (SID) and took them from a second level component manufacturer to king. 

Sid. Sb SIS

Edited by Mjainoz
1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Mjainoz said:

If ...  no. ...  when. I get back on the bike, this will be my first upgrade :)  (Battery).  

Amazing to think how crappy gear changing was before indexed systems.(late 80s). Keeping the front deurallier in one spot was challenging enough ie tension on the lever non slip etc. Best thing Shimano ever did (SID) and took them from a second level component manufacturer to king. 

I rode into the city last week on my old race bike, with friction shifters. No real issue, but I suppose it is easier, especially for beginners if they don't have to think about how far they move the shifter when they change.

The thing I like about friction shifters though is that I can swap between an 8, 9, or 10 speed cassette, and there's no issue.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I rode into the city last week on my old race bike, with friction shifters. No real issue, but I suppose it is easier, especially for beginners if they don't have to think about how far they move the shifter when they change.

The thing I like about friction shifters though is that I can swap between an 8, 9, or 10 speed cassette, and there's no issue.

Sometimes I still move my knee out wide when changing gears. An instinct from many years ago when changing gears meant reaching down to the downtube to adjust the shifter.

Triathlon was much harder in the old days. :)

3 people like this

17 hours ago, flathead said:

Triathlon was much harder in the old days. :)

Undoubtedly 

20 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

What are these 8 9 or 10 speed things u speak of??

11 hours ago, ironpo said:

What are these 8 9 or 10 speed things u speak of??

They're the new fangled ones that replaced the 6 & 7 I used to use on the bike when it was new. :) 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

They're the new fangled ones that replaced the 6 & 7 I used to use on the bike when it was new. :) 

Re they di2?

On 24/04/2017 at 10:49 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I could never get it right.  Didn't matter what brand shifters I had. At some stage they'd shift and the simple tighten didn't work well for me over time.

Gotta say I'm getting lasy. The paddle shifters in my car steering wheel are awesome.  I hopped in a manual the other day. No gear shift patten on the gear knob.  Took me ages to find reverse !!  Oh the shame. .... to think driving a stick and or three on the tree was once ok...

I still drive a stick....

by choice

Edited by AVAGO

14 hours ago, AVAGO said:

by choice

I can't drive

15 hours ago, AVAGO said:

by choice

I tried to drive a stick but it wooden go.

1 person likes this