AA7

Sub 2hr marathon attempt

65 posts in this topic

On 03/05/2017 at 7:41 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It's not an "open slather to drug up" though. These guys would still be on the out of competition testing program, so that guy knocking on doors in Melbourne could drop over there to do a couple of "surprise" checks.

:lol::lol::lol:.

These guys do more EPO than Lance, but do it in places with no mobile phone coverage or doorbells.

This is what drug-legal competition looks like.

And it was pretty interesting.

Edited by Niseko

That's a huge jump!!! Sub2 seems so possible now.

I wonder if race organizers around the world will start using similar pacing strategies for the runners to try and break 2 hours on their course, "Fastest marathon course in the world" certainly has a nice ring to it... 

56 minutes ago, Supamau said:

That's a huge jump!!! Sub2 seems so possible now.

I wonder if race organizers around the world will start using similar pacing strategies for the runners to try and break 2 hours on their course, "Fastest marathon course in the world" certainly has a nice ring to it... 

WTC owns a couple of Marathons now. I'm sure they'd love to get hold of that title. The drafting and fast flat courses should suit their style of race design too. :)

How much of the ~2% improvement would be due to drafting the pacers and the car?  Only watched for about 5 mins, and the car seemed about 20m in front?

11 minutes ago, longshot said:

How much of the ~2% improvement would be due to drafting the pacers and the car?  Only watched for about 5 mins, and the car seemed about 20m in front?

I don't think you can factor in any advantage for the car at all.  It was on the pace needed but dropped them early.  There would have been no drafting advantage off that car. Maybe they should have used a bus.

The pacers were pretty much always fresh.  But there are pacers at all races until a certain point.

What is the previous fastest course in the world?  In an open race?

Actually Peter, most of the analyses I saw said the biggest advantage on the day was the car. With the size of the board above it, it would have created a good slipstream for the runners.

Fastest previous time was 2:02:57 I think.

yeah but where was that?

2 hours ago, longshot said:

I've not done any analysis myself but saw something on twitter reposted by Ross Tucker that suggested the car set up draft was was worth ~90 seconds. Not sure how reliable the assumptions or methodology used below are though...

That said, I'm pretty sure a better designed draft vehicle and placement would be enough to make the difference to reach 1:59:59

C_O9jv_XYAAp4ZK.jpg:large

On 5/6/2017 at 8:04 PM, Fitness Buddy said:

Good article.

That last 5 km hurt him

Surely this is going to impact on him for any other races this year.

https://www.supersport.com/athletics/running/news/170523/Kipchoge_withdraws_from_London_worlds

Kipchoge, who narrowly missed out on becoming the first athlete to run a sub-two hour marathon last month, said he needed to rest after the gruelling record attempt in Monza, Italy

ON THE MONEY 

On 5/6/2017 at 8:45 PM, The Customer said:

Always positive, FB.

Always positive NAH Just realistic

Kipchoge, who narrowly missed out on becoming the first athlete to run a sub-two hour marathon last month, said he needed to rest after the gruelling record attempt in Monza, Italy

There is a great article on Sweat Science on the aero advantage of the car. Some aerodynamics engineers did some modelling. Most of the drafting advantage was from the human pacers forming the arrow in front. The car offered little extra advantage. The pacers provided 4:09 advantage and the car 0:26. The biggest advantage of the car was the laser lines that allowed the human pacers to keep formation.

http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-science/did-the-tesla-pace-car-aid-eliud-kipchoges-20025-marathon