Sign in to follow this  
imyoungmatt

Have you tried this workout?

imyoungmatt    3

Hi Folks,

Just thought I would share a run interval / speed set I do, along with my guys, generally in their race specific phase, 3-4 weeks out from their 'A' event. The key thing I want to see out of this one is not pure speed, but to see how consistent they can get the time on each interval. Perfect if you can do this on a track, otherwise a nice flat consistent ground is just as good. Total set is 10km, however the reps can be reduced or increased according to 'A' race distance. 

Warm up - 2km and include drills of choice. If on the track, do the drills down the straights and jog the curves.

Main set - 4 x 400m at stand alone 10km pace with 300m easy jog / walk recoveries. 4 x 300m at stand alone 5km pace with 200m easy jog / walk recoveries. 4 x 200m at stand alone 3km pace with easy jog / walk recoveries.

Cool down - 2km easy

Try to do the efforts without looking at a watch and go purely on feel. This set will also help you get a feel for pacing yourself come race day.

Enjoy!!

Cheers Matt

zed    738

I like 400s, but I normally do them at interval pace not 10km pace, would have thought 5/10km pace is a bit too easy for 400s?

pieman    359
1 hour ago, zed said:

I like 400s, but I normally do them at interval pace not 10km pace, would have thought 5/10km pace is a bit too easy for 400s?

Not an expert but yeah I agree... 

imyoungmatt    3
1 hour ago, zed said:

Zed, as I mentioned, its not so much about the speed on this set, but being able to get each 400 time as close to each other as possible and for the 300's, 200's etc. Can easily change the goal times up or down to suit, it is just merely a guide to start with. 

zed    738
26 minutes ago, imyoungmatt said:

Zed, as I mentioned, its not so much about the speed on this set, but being able to get each 400 time as close to each other as possible and for the 300's, 200's etc. Can easily change the goal times up or down to suit, it is just merely a guide to start with. 

Gotcha, missed this bit!

The key thing I want to see out of this one is not pure speed, but to see how consistent they can get the time on each interval
  • Like 1

zed    738

Pace awareness is something I'm working on for Busso in 3 weeks. It's mostly those first few kms where I usually go too quick, you're running 4 min kms thinking it's 4.20 pace... not helped by the instant pace issues I'm having with my Fenix 5, seems worse than the 920, but then I'm using instant pace more than I used to, so perhaps it wasn't that great on the 920? I did a 14km brick run on Saturday and my instant pace was telling me 5min/km, way too slow, picked it up, then it was 4.40min/km, felt like I was almost sprinting, my km split was 3.55 ha ha I think it was exacerbated by the fact I was running under a bridge. But highlights the need for pace awareness and to not rely on technology too much. 

• Like 1

imyoungmatt    3
12 minutes ago, zed said:

Pace awareness is something I'm working on for Busso in 3 weeks. It's mostly those first few kms where I usually go too quick, you're running 4 min kms thinking it's 4.20 pace... not helped by the instant pace issues I'm having with my Fenix 5, seems worse than the 920, but then I'm using instant pace more than I used to, so perhaps it wasn't that great on the 920? I did a 14km brick run on Saturday and my instant pace was telling me 5min/km, way too slow, picked it up, then it was 4.40min/km, felt like I was almost sprinting, my km split was 3.55 ha ha I think it was exacerbated by the fact I was running under a bridge. But highlights the need for pace awareness and to not rely on technology too much. 

Who doesn't fly out of T2 going too fast. A wise old person told me, if you feel like you are going too fast, you are. If you feel like you are going the right pace, you are still going too fast & if you feel like you are running slow, you are going the right pace!! Good luck in Busso

• Like 1

CEM    189

Nice, simple session. However I think the feel for pace on a track is quite different than on a road, where races are actually held. So I would do something similar but in a scenario and conditions more like a race. 

• Like 1