Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Naut

What's the latest on Magnesium

11 posts in this topic

So what's the latest science on Magnesium? Not really interested in your anecdotal experience, I really only like crocodile related anecdotes anyway and they deserve a thread of their own.

What studies have been done recently and what was the result? Were they good studies or run by the Ponds Institute?

I have a mate that is trying to get me onto 500mg a day (probably because I am always whining about being sore), but I am not convinced. Is there any test you can get to measure if your magnesium levels are low?

take a cold shower!!!

evidence for magnesium tends to be low quality - doesn't mean it doesn't work, just means the research has not been done.  We occasionally recommend magnesium supplements (Myoplex) and feed back is generally positive.  However, if you want something supported by reasonable evidence, then cold water immersion is your option for muscles soreness.  

1 person likes this

Thanks, but I really, really, really hate being cold. Is there a pill I can take for that?

listen to the IM talk podcast (imtalk.me) with Emma Mackie (episode 555) who talks about using heat rather than cold for recovery. She did her Masters in recovery or something like that so some science.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Naut said:

So what's the latest science on Magnesium? Not really interested in your anecdotal experience, I really only like crocodile related anecdotes anyway and they deserve a thread of their own.

What studies have been done recently and what was the result? Were they good studies or run by the Ponds Institute?

I have a mate that is trying to get me onto 500mg a day (probably because I am always whining about being sore), but I am not convinced. Is there any test you can get to measure if your magnesium levels are low?

There's a bit of anecdote but not a lot of strong science on Mg being preventative for cramping, but not a lot otherwise related to triathlon that I'm aware of.

It's reasonably low risk, so maybe try it for 2-3 weeks and see if it changes your levels of soreness. Mg isn't usually the lowest hanging fruit however.

1 person likes this

57 minutes ago, Aidan said:

There's a bit of anecdote but not a lot of strong science on Mg being preventative for cramping, but not a lot otherwise related to triathlon that I'm aware of.

It's reasonably low risk, so maybe try it for 2-3 weeks and see if it changes your levels of soreness. Mg isn't usually the lowest hanging fruit however.

Don't suggest stretching and a foam roller! I am looking for a magic pill, not more hard work.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Naut said:

Don't suggest stretching and a foam roller! I am looking for a magic pill, not more hard work.

I reckon BCAAs are as close as you will get to a magic pill for recovery 

1 person likes this

I have always kind of dismissed them. Maybe I need to start another thread?

That said I do use a Protein powder post session, should see if it has BCAAs in it.

Edited by Naut

14 hours ago, Aidan said:

I reckon BCAAs are as close as you will get to a magic pill for recovery 

Yep

So my protein powder does have a mix of AAs in it. Where can I look to determine recommended dosages?