12 posts in this topic

So it seems it was maybe a cut and run comment from AP around the “free meals” at my motorbike event, and that intelligent triathlon people on here aren’t concerned about a free meal and a stubby holder – but a healthy lifestyle.

It got me thinking though, about event catering.

This motorbike rally was at the Adelaide Convention Centre in Hahndorf.  Catered well.

Even the marginal bbq on the opening day was homemade burger patties, wholegrain bread, salads.

The rest was made up of curry, roast meats, baked chicken, awesome salads, salad/meat wraps and sangas, fruit, grilled prawns, steamed veges, baked spuds etc.  There was no free alcohol or desserts at any meal.

Compared to any meal I’ve ever had at an ironman or any other triathlon.

Greasy white pasta fests, white bread, free grog, sugary desserts, sugary soft drinks, and a big deal made of the piss up after the race.  Then there’s the beer mile, and Challenge races giving you a beer on finishing.

And it all celebrates and praised on here, along with the goody bags and even transitions stubby holders.

Even fun ru

Which of these sounds healthier?

Even fun runs and smaller races have the ol sausage barby.

If triathlon is such a healthy lifestyle, why do we celebrate/tolerate such atrocious food and drink at events? 

Is that maybe the real reason for the phasing out of the carb dinner and awards banquet in favour of a meal voucher?  Too many complaints about the shiiite food?

(from the other thread)

18 hours ago, AP said:

I think if you have a look around the patrons at the motorbike weekend and then look at the competitors at the next Ironman - what it does for a body make the triathlon lifestyle the better choice - so you get a few free meals - you'll probably be carrying them around on your hips for the next year - it's a lifestyle - this is a triathlon forum - most intelligent readers here are in for a lifestyle - not a free feed and a stubby cooler :huh:

totally agree about the food

I havnt been too a awards or carbo for many many years  or if I have been to see Mrs IP get a trouphy  I don't eat , and that was before I reliased how bad all that crap food u mentioned above actually is

that motor bike feed sounds just the ticket

hopefully they will have something like that at ports outdoor arvo awards this year

I think your first mistake was paying attention to one of AP's grumpy old fart posts.

It's getting close to taper time for IMOz too....

3 people like this

Ask a few people who did events organised by Barry & Julie Voevodin: The World Cup Triathlon / The Great Race Triathlon / or the 1991 ITU Worlds. Excellent feeds (carbo. banq. & awards banq.) Big entry fees for back in the day, but totally worth it even just for the food.

1 person likes this

You got trolled by a dinosaur.  Fk what he thinks do what u want and enjoy life.

Ironman is a hobby for some & a religion for others.  

Commenting on other ppl physical appearance is just bullshit.  Plenty of over weight complete Ironman every year.  

2 people like this

8 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Plenty of over weight complete Ironman every year.  

I reckon the majority are over weight these days , it's just a bucket list thing for most these days

1 person likes this

And bikies look a lot fitter than triathletes anyway.

Just take a look at the ones they show on the news every week, getting carted into a watch-house somewhere. They look fitter & more muscled than 95% of triathletes any day.

ps: we won't mention the health effects of steroids here. :) 

Nonetheless, why is tri event cateing usually crappy food?

Cost + Old fashioned "Carb Up" thinking = pasta.

On 4/17/2017 at 0:40 PM, trifun said:

Ask a few people who did events organised by Barry & Julie Voevodin: The World Cup Triathlon / The Great Race Triathlon / or the 1991 ITU Worlds. Excellent feeds (carbo. banq. & awards banq.) Big entry fees for back in the day, but totally worth it even just for the food.

Barry certainly knew how to throw together a good dinner. Throw in a cabaret, then book out the night club for the first couple of hours and it turns into an awesome event.

Barry and Julie certainly did put on good races - they were before their time - if they had of got the Ironman franchise it would have been truly first class - The Turtle is pretty easy :wink1:

1 hour ago, AP said:

The Turtle is pretty easy :wink1:

Right, gotcha. Expectations lowered.