Sign in to follow this  
ironpo

hamatocrit test or no entry

ironpo    2,737

Im looking at doing this http://www.lauffestival.com/ultratri.html

just going through the entry stuff etc and found that u need to supplie a very recent haematocrit test

not sure why but maybe its thefre to make sure ur not doped to the eyballs and gunna have a heart attack during the race

great idea I reckon

Conditions of participation

The athletes (only single starter) must have completed an ironman (or a comparable event) between 2014 and 2017. We trust your provided data is correct! Please give us your exact swimming time for the single ironman to be able to organize the swim lanes accordingly.

Handover of waiver and medical certificate are mandatory. (Documents are in the "Download" section). We also need a hämatocrit test (not older than 8 days). Otherwise we cannot guarantee your start due to insurance reasons.

Aidan    139

I'm not sure what their intentions are with the test but it's a pretty poor idea given how variable haematocrit is (even within 1 day). 

ironpo    2,737
4 hours ago, Aidan said:

I'm not sure what their intentions are with the test but it's a pretty poor idea given how variable haematocrit is (even within 1 day). 

how much can it varie and what causes it to change? 

Aidan    139
10 minutes ago, ironpo said:

how much can it varie and what causes it to change? 

being dehydrated will increase haematocrit by several points and vice versa for over hydrating

Standing (!) for 30 minutes can lower measured hameatocrit by 1.5%

A high hameatocrit  (>50%) pre-2000 (introduction of EPO test) was the best they had for testing of blood manipulation. Stories of Lance etc using a bag of IV fluids to lower haematocrit by a couple points.

Haemoglobin mass is a much more accurate test for red blood cell levels but the test is expensive/complicated (lab based).

• Like 1

Slunnie    86

Haemoglobin is pretty quick. Its a fairly standard blood test. They have mine back in under an hour. I have heard via professionals in the blood game that Lance had Haemoglobin levels of just over 200!

goughy    1,968

Are they trying to weed out the Jedi???

Or was that miticlorians........