Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oompa Loompa

drive trains and chain rings

14 posts in this topic

been playing a duallie this weekend for the first time in my life, my mountain bikes have either been hard tails or rigids (im old). 

didnt like it to begin with but its grown on me....anyway,

drivetrains and chain rings.   this thing only has one chain ring on the front.   my bike has two and i really use to like the 3 chain rings, wind it up and grind away. 

so I guess, not whats better, but what do people prefer ?

If you have the gearing right for you a 1 x 11 (or 12) can be great. My niner is a 1x10 and is overgeared for some climbing, and i should spend some money to change to 1x11 or 1x12. but this bike is more for shuttle runs and currently running xtr so cant bring myself to replace with a lower spec. I can't reduce the front chainring size due to being old design and would need to replace bottom bracket as well.

my Felt cross country bike is a 2x10 and this i really like the range, especially for long races. 

both these bikes are 3-4 years old

The new 1x11 or 1x12 with the right front chainring is the way to go as simpler, and lest chance of dropping chain on the front chainring. This will be what i spec on my next bike.

Both my bikes are now 1x.  Not sure I am 100% it is all it is cracked up to be.  I swear I can hear my chain wearing out on that inside chainline once a bit of grit is on the chain during the course of a ride.

For serious MTB on the trails 1x is probably good because it allows you to just focus more on the terrain only having to use one shifter. First 1x11 and now 1x12! Never tried 1x but the moment you need to ride on the road to get to the trails or maybe even some long fire trails I think you'll find the top end wanting. I find the top end wanting with 2x10 on the road and perhaps some long fire trails down state forests like Wingello. For that reason I also have a 3x10 that is an all rounder I take away anywhere.

Dwarf, either you are a very skillful MTBer or you aren't really riding some serious trails! Dual suspension is nearly always faster and makes you a better rider by forgiving your mistakes in not always choosing the best line. About the only time I find a hard tail faster is when the trails are super smooth long fire trails. Then I have to ask myself why I'm riding them :lol:

1 person likes this

I'd add the smallest cog on the rear is 11T for Shimano and 10T for SRAM XD which isn't a very high gear when you use something like a 34-38T chainring. Personally I resent the need for another cassette mount (SRAM XD) for the sake of 1 tooth. With 11-36T x 22t/33t/44t on my 650B I can go pretty much anywhere on my 3x10 which also happens to be on my lightest bike (~10.7kg) though I must say my 2x10 29er is fractionally faster over typical 50/100km MTB courses. That could be the bigger wheels or the DW suspension over VPP2 suspension too.

I dunno Slowman, the number of times you need more than a 32/11 are rare. Once you switch to 1x you realise what a pain in the arse 2x is; especially somewhere like Menai, Kentlyn etc. I don't often bother with a GPS but when I'm riding down the road towards ANSTO after a loop of Mill Ck I reckon I'm doing 50+. cadence is probably 130... with flat pedals! Good for your technique! :)

Edited by Chookman
1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Rocket Salad said:

Crashed and broke the left XT gear and brake lever on Wed. Needed a new chain, cassette and front chain ring so ........

......I ordered the New GX eagle today. https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/06/08/first-rides-actual-weights-sram-gx-eagle-mountain-bike-group/

Can i ask the cost and where from. Also does it fit on a 10 speed wheel?

Not sure exactly how much all up. I need a few other things done. Around $1k. Getting it from venture cycles in Noosaville. They always look after me. 

On 09/06/2017 at 10:02 AM, Chookman said:

I dunno Slowman, the number of times you need more than a 32/11 are rare. Once you switch to 1x you realise what a pain in the arse 2x is; especially somewhere like Menai, Kentlyn etc. I don't often bother with a GPS but when I'm riding down the road towards ANSTO after a loop of Mill Ck I reckon I'm doing 50+. cadence is probably 130... with flat pedals! Good for your technique! :)

K1, I don't disagree; off road, and yes even my 2x10 at Menai I probably just gave up in the end and stayed in the small ring when it came to all those gully sections. If I recall 3 rings was less changing because the middle ring was in fact 32T! So most of the time was in the middle ring with a drop to the granny for some pinches here and there. 38T/24T seems to mean changing a lot more.

I just find it is nice to have 44x11, as I can ride from my place to Waterfall on road to get to the Burgh trails, although it is often the other way around. We can ride trails from Engadine/Heathcote to Waterfall and then down through the scout camp to the Burgh it is on the way back we might wimp out and take road back from Waterfall to Engadine (to coffee) and that is when you feel it. Not sure I want to ride at 130rpm for that long, especially when I feel like I'm already done!

Edited by Slowman

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:58 PM, Slowman said:

K1, I don't disagree; off road, and yes even my 2x10 at Menai I probably just gave up in the end and stayed in the small ring when it came to all those gully sections. If I recall 3 rings was less changing because the middle ring was in fact 32T! So most of the time was in the middle ring with a drop to the granny for some pinches here and there. 38T/24T seems to mean changing a lot more.

I just find it is nice to have 44x11, as I can ride from my place to Waterfall on road to get to the Burgh trails, although it is often the other way around. We can ride trails from Engadine/Heathcote to Waterfall and then down through the scout camp to the Burgh it is on the way back we might wimp out and take road back from Waterfall to Engadine (to coffee) and that is when you feel it. Not sure I want to ride at 130rpm for that long, especially when I feel like I'm already done!

I've heard lots of people say they prefer 3x over 2x as they just leave it in the middle most of the time and have the option of a bailout and go fast ring. You could just go SRAM 1x12 with a 34 up front and 10-50 rear...

Edited by Chookman
1 person likes this

I love my xt stuff but the coating on the crank arms is pretty ordinary. Kind of like they coloured it with a felt tip marker. rub it a few times and the colour is gone! Stick some clear tape over or your black cranks will turn silver! Also, stick with XT cassettes and don't be tempted by Sunrace equivalents. Fitted and 11 speed sunrace 11-46 on my wifes bike and you can't backpedal more than a 1/4 turn in the 2 largest cogs without the chain dropping half way down the cassette. switched to an XT cassette and you could pedal backwards all day without it dropping!