Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oompa Loompa

drive trains and chain rings

4 posts in this topic

been playing a duallie this weekend for the first time in my life, my mountain bikes have either been hard tails or rigids (im old). 

didnt like it to begin with but its grown on me....anyway,

drivetrains and chain rings.   this thing only has one chain ring on the front.   my bike has two and i really use to like the 3 chain rings, wind it up and grind away. 

so I guess, not whats better, but what do people prefer ?

If you have the gearing right for you a 1 x 11 (or 12) can be great. My niner is a 1x10 and is overgeared for some climbing, and i should spend some money to change to 1x11 or 1x12. but this bike is more for shuttle runs and currently running xtr so cant bring myself to replace with a lower spec. I can't reduce the front chainring size due to being old design and would need to replace bottom bracket as well.

my Felt cross country bike is a 2x10 and this i really like the range, especially for long races. 

both these bikes are 3-4 years old

The new 1x11 or 1x12 with the right front chainring is the way to go as simpler, and lest chance of dropping chain on the front chainring. This will be what i spec on my next bike.

Both my bikes are now 1x.  Not sure I am 100% it is all it is cracked up to be.  I swear I can hear my chain wearing out on that inside chainline once a bit of grit is on the chain during the course of a ride.