goughy

The finer things in life.....

52 posts in this topic

OK, maybe this seems a strange post coming from me!  But I'm starting to feel a bit like I'm worthy of a bit of this.  I started to notice it last year when Rob's parents took us on a cruise and they and her brothers family were all about the free meals, drinks whatever.  And by the end of it they were looking up how much of their bonus cabin credit they had left to spend.  We'd blown that by many hundreds.  But we kinda realised that penny pinching all the time wasn't always fun.  And the same kinda happened this holiday too.  We didn't eat at 'The Ritz', but we roamed around a bit and found nice'ish places and didn't base our choices on the prices so much.  And I'm noticing it with my clothes.  Sure, I might still be buying stuff at the DFO, but at least it's Quicksilver or something, rather than the Kmart I usually wear.  While we'll drive it into the ground still rather than replace it in a few years, we spent a lot more on a car than we ever have before and am enjoying having something a bit nice.

Sure, there's a point in being thrifty.  I ride older bikes (one for sentimental reasons anyway), and my golf clubs aren't new.  But I love them all.  Is it wrong to be feeling like I'm worth some better stuff and times, even if it's a stretch at times?  I think I'm starting to feel it......

2 people like this

52 minutes ago, goughy said:

Sure, there's a point in being thrifty. 

Agree totally.

52 minutes ago, goughy said:

Is it wrong to be feeling like I'm worth some better stuff and times, even if it's a stretch at times?  

Nope.

2 people like this

Go for it.  Money is there to spend. ... not everyone agrees with me! 

But we work to live, not live to work! 

Every now and then in tv they show those folk that save every penny and spend their entire life redeeming every coupon and travelling hours out of their way to save a few bucks. 

What a miserable freaking existence. 

4 people like this

Since we had Flipper our retirement plans have been blown apart but in general, our philosophy is, if we buy something of significance, we try try to aim somewhere above the middle of the spectrum. ( the middle of the spectrum is different for everyone of course). We do tend to ' sweat assets' for quite a while though and don't make too many impulse purchases.

If it came down to a choice though, I'd spend more money on doing things than having things.

1 person likes this

When I was growing up my folks had nothing. Scrimped and saved for everything we had and I think they passed the 'thrift' gene onto me. I find it hard to spend money even though we're doing pretty well.  The wife and kids are making every effort to break the cycle...

Goughs, my thoughts on the topic are this.  The finer things in life are so subjective and particular to each individual and what are the finer points in life to you now is probably a lot different to what they were 10 years ago and will be different to 10 years from today - at least that's my experience.

Therefore do what you need to make you happy within the constraints life puts on you without sacrificing short and long term security and learn (try hard as it may be) to enjoy that.

3 people like this

Agree with GSP. I'd rather spend money on seeing amazing natural wonders than on materialistic stuff. At this point in time, I could probably pack all my belongings in to 3 or 4 suitcases (plus my bike) and I don't feel any less happy than when I had a house full of 'stuff' in Melbourne. Recently went to Oman and had a fantastic time up in the mountains staying in a little single room cabin. Had one night at the 5 star Shangri-la and it wouldn't bother me if I never went back there again.

I recommend avoiding buying anything on impulse. If you think you want that latest new 'thing', wait a couple of weeks and see if you still really need it. However, I do believe in buying the best you can afford as those items will last a lot longer than buying cheap.

Edited by The Customer
3 people like this

4 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Agree with GSP. I'd rather spend money on seeing amazing natural wonders than on materialistic stuff. At this point in time, I could probably pack all my belongings in to 3 or 4 suitcases (plus my bike) and I don't feel any less happy than when I had a house full of 'stuff' in Melbourne. Recently went to Oman and had a fantastic time up in the mountains staying in a little single room cabin. Had one night at the 5 star Shangri-la and it wouldn't bother me if I never went back there again.

I recommend avoiding buying anything on impulse. If you think you want that latest new 'thing', wait a couple of weeks and see if you still really need it. However, I do believe in buying the best you can afford as those items will last a lot longer than buying cheap.

Now there's the finer things in life.

Although international business class is soooo worth it :-)  but then again, you arrive at the same destination in same amount of time when you fly economy.

49 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Although international business class is soooo worth it :-)  but then again, you arrive at the same destination in same amount of time when you fly economy.

Yeah but in Business the holiday starts at the airport :)

2 people like this

Then theres things you need to have to enjoy the doing part.

Say a bike, motorbike, etc. You get enjoyment by riding it, but you generally have to buy it first. And if you compromise on what you buy, you probably wont enjoy doing it, so you wont and it will be a waste.

Thats why i have a house and shed full of stuff!  (But I swear, the quad bike is for work)

I enjoy doing,  rather than just going and seeing too. So do an o/s trip. But get out and do stuff while there, not just look at views.

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, goughy said:

OK, maybe this seems a strange post coming from me!  But I'm starting to feel a bit like I'm worthy of a bit of this.  I started to notice it last year when Rob's parents took us on a cruise and they and her brothers family were all about the free meals, drinks whatever.  And by the end of it they were looking up how much of their bonus cabin credit they had left to spend.  We'd blown that by many hundreds.  But we kinda realised that penny pinching all the time wasn't always fun.  And the same kinda happened this holiday too.  We didn't eat at 'The Ritz', but we roamed around a bit and found nice'ish places and didn't base our choices on the prices so much.  And I'm noticing it with my clothes.  Sure, I might still be buying stuff at the DFO, but at least it's Quicksilver or something, rather than the Kmart I usually wear.  While we'll drive it into the ground still rather than replace it in a few years, we spent a lot more on a car than we ever have before and am enjoying having something a bit nice.

Sure, there's a point in being thrifty.  I ride older bikes (one for sentimental reasons anyway), and my golf clubs aren't new.  But I love them all.  Is it wrong to be feeling like I'm worth some better stuff and times, even if it's a stretch at times?  I think I'm starting to feel it......

Does a label define you

This is me here, if you think you could find a label to fit me, then go for it :)

I'm not sure where the label thing is coming from?

28 minutes ago, goughy said:

This is me here, if you think you could find a label to fit me, then go for it :)

I'm not sure where the label thing is coming from?

Probably a reference to the Kmart Quiksilver comment

1 person likes this

Just cos it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, doesn't always mean it's a duck - it could be a disguise. 

Meaning, it's easy to say a label (clothing) shouldn't define you.  But if you dress in shit clothes, drive a shit car and eat shit food, you'll probably feel like you are shit - regardless of whether you actually are shit or not.

You need to do for yourself what makes you feel good.  We are all worthy of the good stuff - it's just that everyones opinion of what is THEIR good stuff varies.

Go for it goughy, do what makes you feel good about yourself, your like,and your family. 

I drive a shit car but only drive about once a fortnight. B)

18 hours ago, FatPom said:

Yeah but in Business the holiday starts at the airport :)

Exactly. Economy you dread. Business you can't wait to get on and lie down.

My best mates old man once told me "the richest man ive ever known was my farther and he didn't have 2 cents to his name"

Cant take it with you

Following on from OS692's quote and probably what he is getting at.  Advice I was given at a younger age and I truly believe is that if you live a full life and pass away with 5 friends (true lifetime friends) you'd die the richer than the vast majority and relating to this thread more than likely enjoyed the fine things in life.  

And using that as a segue, then as FB crudely points out the finer things aren't always material.  Ask Daryl Kerrigan.

2 people like this

I was once told that it is useless to try and take it with you so may as well use it now why your alive . 

1 person likes this

You need to be at peace with yourself before you can be rich. That richness is not measured with things around you but things within. 

Reward yourself with the good things in life - family, friends, good thoughts and humour.

And don't forget, a new bike goes a long way. 

FM

5 people like this