trifun

The season is not over yet...

18 posts in this topic

Hey all, an independent Tri coming up at Bagara (Bundaberg's beachside satellite) on 23/4/17.
One of Queensland's oldest triathlons makes a comeback.
Multiple distances (kids/sprint/olympic), ind & teams.
Entries still open.
Get on it.
(Did my first tri here back in '84 so I'm back in for sentimental reasons)

I've always enjoyed racing there. Great spot.

9 hours ago, trifun said:
Hey all, an independent Tri coming up at Bagara (Bundaberg's beachside satellite) on 23/4/17.
One of Queensland's oldest triathlons makes a comeback.
Multiple distances (kids/sprint/olympic), ind & teams.
Entries still open.
Get on it.
(Did my first tri here back in '84 so I'm back in for sentimental reasons)

Had a couple of really big weekends at Don Pancho's, the old sponsor. I picked up some prize-money one year, and it never got out of the bar at the resort where the presentation was. Smart move by them to pay in cash, not cheque. :)

They are up to 51 ind entries in the OD event.

Come on up and give it a crack - let's see if we can help them get 100 (as it is the centenary of the local Lions club).  You could even chuck a sickie on the Monday and make a 4 day weekend out of it....

First time I went, I ran down this old guy called Hayden Kenny just past the 8 k mark - the girlfriend was impressed :) - we been married 28 years now (but she is a bit tired of watch me race - then again I have only ever watched two tri's in my life).

The bad news is that the Sizzler in Bundy closed :( earlier this year, the site is some other food joint now.

Bargara is a nice little spot, go there every year for the Cane To Coral. 

Ron,

Did you do the state titles there one year. I still remember the look of shock on the pool swimmer's faces when Bargara turned on its "once in a decade" surf for the swim leg. Nothing really to talk of, but it's the only race myself or any of my mates have ever beaten Nick Croft out of the water in. I think Matt Brabam was first out that day.

From memory Nick rode & ran everyone down to win, but it was a nice feeling beating him in to T1.

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Ron,

Did you do the state titles there one year. I still remember the look of shock on the pool swimmer's faces when Bargara turned on its "once in a decade" surf for the swim leg. Nothing really to talk of, but it's the only race myself or any of my mates have ever beaten Nick Croft out of the water in. I think Matt Brabam was first out that day.

From memory Nick rode & ran everyone down to win, but it was a nice feeling beating him in to T1.

8th of June 1986 & I still have my silver medal to prove it :) (I think Angus had a limb in plaster that day).

Wetsuits had yet to surface, Nick was sponsored by Toohey's 2.1 (in an enviable custom trisuit) as I recall, and the entry fee was $20 & that included a t-shirt!

Edited by trifun

I've got the gold if you want another race for it. :)

Coincidentally IM Cairns will probably be that weekend in June 2019. Come and do an IM. At least we can guarantee we'll walk away with Gold & Silver medals.

18 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I've got the gold if you want another race for it. :)

Coincidentally IM Cairns will probably be that weekend in June 2019. Come and do an IM. At least we can guarantee we'll walk away with Gold & Silver medals.

Sorry mate, I get bored after about 2 hours if I  can't see the finish breakfast table yet.

If you're willing to travel you can race all year round. Otherwise, seasons over, put your toys away and relax For a few weeks.

Not in Qld, state sprint titles a few weeks away

They are up to 71 for the OD (I did not count the enticer or turtle entries), with entries still open till Saturday afternoon so still time to choose a great spot for the last SEQ event before the weather cools off. 

Nice beach, low congestion on the bike, and plenty of friendly locals on the run.

Well they sneaked in a beaut weather window this morning (bit it was a touch windy on the bike).

67 ind and 23 team finishers  the OD with 50 & 5 finishing the sprint and + kids event.

Pretty sad old 2h 30 min for me for a 2nd in the 50+ but I'ver been a bit lazy of late.....

Put this on your list for next year folks - they are good ppl up there.

(esp the drafting rule at the race briefing: "yeah it's about 7 or 10 metres but basically don't be a tool, coz we don't like tools"

Edited by trifun
dyslexia

If the knee lets me I'll see you there Ron. I won't be fast by then, but it's a great spot, and will make a good weekend away for the family.

On 20/04/2017 at 6:32 PM, trifun said:

They are up to 71 for the OD (I did not count the enticer or turtle entries),

I get my own entry class? Extra slow?

19 minutes ago, The Turtle said:

I get my own entry class? Extra slow?

I don't think you'll be alone.....

On a sadder note it looks like my beloved Transitions tri suit may be wearing out, enough of the sun visors (I need a hat anyway) what about a replacement order?

Edited by trifun