Flanman

Old Tri Photo Memories

45 posts in this topic

I was doing a bit of cleaning on the weekend and found some old Tri (sort of) photos from 1997. I was living in Vanuatu and 5 weeks out from doing IMOZ. The Vanuatu Auditor General was sacked on a Friday night so went out and got smashed on Kava. He drove on the wrong side of the road around a corner and wiped me out at 6 in the morning (head on). I was very lucky not to have been seriously injured or die. I went over the top of the car.

I was evac'd after 3 days back to Oz for operations and treatment plus had 3 months off work. Suffice to say I did not get to do the race however, I did show up in Forster to watch. It was quite funny as I went to rego just to pick up my "goodie bag"  and they thought I was still racing. As if - the plaster went right up to my groin so all I could do for 3 months was stand or lie down - no sitting. My hand was also in plaster with a pin. Anyway, here are some photos.

I thought other may have some old triathlon photos as well.

FM

IM Leg Plaster.jpg

Vanuatu leg.jpg

Vanutu plaster.jpg

Smashed bike Vanuatu.jpg

1 person likes this

Cool story and photos, you were lucky to get away with that one.

Trannie swim at IMOZ Forster - early 2000's. A number of real undesirables there.

FM

tranniesphoto 1.jpg

4 people like this

Edited by Flanman

Ill have to pull this one out Flanny 

2801849340101159333KRAtKx_fs.jpg

2 people like this

Great photo. No worries about Zippergate in those days.Is that Elvis in the jump suit on the right ?

FM

Ozchat swim 1999 (I think).

For those that don't know, Ironman Oz had a chat section on their website ("Ozchat:). It used to get pretty heated and rather political incorrect. King Ken had to monitor all the time. Sometime around early 2000 it was shut down. From there, Transitions was created by Bernie (sorry, I haven't got the cowgirl outfit photo). Then Roxii took over and the rest is history.

The photo. Back then, there was the original Kamahl who was the class clown, song writer and all round laugh guy. This was the 1st time we met him so we decided to get dressed up as a goat herder to make him feel safe. He is still online here but I think he is up to about his 20th nom de plume.

FM

58ec5c2c8ba5b_Ozchatswim2.png.b6f3f1cb499100af9838240a4fc3ad35.png  

This was the Brisbane contingent for the 1990 Forster Ironman.

Image may contain: 13 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor

4 people like this

4 hours ago, Flanman said:

Ozchat swim 1999 (I think).

For those that don't know, Ironman Oz had a chat section on their website ("Ozchat:). It used to get pretty heated and rather political incorrect. King Ken had to monitor all the time. Sometime around early 2000 it was shut down. From there, Transitions was created by Bernie (sorry, I haven't got the cowgirl outfit photo). Then Roxii took over and the rest is history.

The photo. Back then, there was the original Kamahl who was the class clown, song writer and all round laugh guy. This was the 1st time we met him so we decided to get dressed up as a goat herder to make him feel safe. He is still online here but I think he is up to about his 20th nom de plume.

FM

58ec5c2c8ba5b_Ozchatswim2.png.b6f3f1cb499100af9838240a4fc3ad35.png  

Few old faces there. From the left on the end is Pete, Dolpys hubby, I think that's Mr Flower third from left, I'm sixth from left, that's Big Kev between the two towel heads and Skels bending Over to her left in the middle of the group. 

Ozchat died in early 2003, about the time I left my then employment (and work email), so I didn't get the email that Bernie and Mike Buddy sent to all ozchatters (I think Ken B must have let the ozchat email list escape ...) when they started transitions. I only discovered transitions in June 03 ...

My user name goes back to ozchat - originally I was the only 'Andrew', I noticed after a while there were other Andrew posts that I didn't recognise as others also just used their first name. In a stroke of complete unoriginality I changed mine to Andrew #1 to avoid confusion. Just don't have the imagination to come up with a brilliant nom de plume ... I was always envious of Swoonking and Khamal ...

Edited by Andrew #1
1 person likes this

Andrew, the Mercanator and Ricky Martin drew a lot of envy as well. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Few old faces there. From the left on the end is Pete, Dolpys hubby, I think that's Mr Flower third from left, I'm sixth from left, that's Big Kev between the two towel heads and Skels bending Over to her left in the middle of the group. 

I am behind Chris and Rocket has the big towel head. 

FM

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Andrew, the Mercanator and Ricky Martin drew a lot of envy as well. 

I am still Ricky Martin......... And the Mercanator is doing Port again this year!

come and say hi!

On 4/11/2017 at 2:25 PM, roxii said:

Ill have to pull this one out Flanny 

2801849340101159333KRAtKx_fs.jpg

Im guessing thats Pring on top of the trailer with the 5 star sports promotion sign..

And its typhoon Bankstown triathlon ..and the year the great Warren Curtis took out the win.

10 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Im guessing thats Pring on top of the trailer with the 5 star sports promotion sign..

And its typhoon Bankstown triathlon ..and the year the great Warren Curtis took out the win.

Ah Bankstown. Unusual swim. I remember a sign where you entered the water "Caution - sharks". Made my swim a tad faster, although low tide was a bit of a mud run. 

FM

1 person likes this

I was more worried about the dead dog a couple years later when it was Aussie sprint champs.. farrk I was crook for a week after that swim!

On 4/11/2017 at 6:59 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

This was the Brisbane contingent for the 1990 Forster Ironman.

Image may contain: 13 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor

Guessing this was the entire field in 1990.

30% of field with mo's.

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Guessing this was the entire field in 1990.

30% of field with mo's.

That was all Tinley's fault.

And I shaved mine off for the race. :)

On 11 April 2017 at 9:47 PM, Flanman said:

I am behind Chris and Rocket has the big towel head. 

FM

Thanks for that FM. I couldn't remember what moniker Rocket used. Bit of  "Old timers disease". 

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That was all Tinley's fault.

And I shaved mine off for the race. :)

Ex which one are you, i don't regconse you from your avatar. And if your avatar is you now you really have let yourself go!!!:rolleyes:

I'm bottom right. But currently feeling even bigger than the avatar.

On 11/04/2017 at 2:11 PM, Flanman said:

Trannie swim at IMOZ Forster - early 2000's. A number of real undesirables there.

FM

tranniesphoto 1.jpg

A few familiar faces in that photo - I wonder what ever happened to that shirt?

Yeah, classic shirt for that group. 

FM

I think that's the first time I've ever seen AP without a mo.