roxii

Zwift setup; whats the best tech.

roxii    3,944

Ok so the garage is almost ready for me to start using and I was going to get my bike set up for Zwift.

I dont have a kickr (yet) so its a fluid trainer and a power tap hub.

I lost all our old/ spare laptops and tablets in the "great tornado of 2015" so I will need to buy something new to run zwift so I canb have a dedicated setup so Ideally after the cheapest laptop I can get that will adequately run Zwift, anyone know what will do the job??  

• Like 1

tortoise    820

I don't know what is the least that will work.  But my MacBookPro that had a cup of tea spilt all through it is doing just fine.  I guess one day it will fry itself, then I'll be asking the same question. 

Naut    488

Doesn't the Lama "recommend" a gaming PC? Not sure that is going to be cheap.

pieman    359

Here are the current minimum requirements in order to run Zwift:

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
  • Memory: 4GB
  • Graphics: 1GB dedicated GPU, or embedded Intel HD 4000/AMD R5 
  • Hard Drive: 4GB of free space

http://zwift.com/get-started#zwift

• Like 2

Shuffla    219

I run it on a cheap laptop. Not great graphics and it struggles when there are a lot of riders on screen. I think the graphics card is the main consideration.

• Like 1

willie    598

I've got a laptop here you can have Roxii... Can be a dedicated Zwift machine.

It's one of the laptops leftover from the days gone by when I was doing that whole IT gig.

• Like 1

roxii    3,944
Just now, willie said:

I've got a laptop here you can have Roxii... Can be a dedicated Zwift machine.

It's one of the laptops leftover from the days gone by when I was doing that whole IT gig.

Sweet mate thanks. 

roxii    3,944
2 minutes ago, Gundy said:

You can run it on an iPad now as well.

Yeah but because I dont have a bluetooth enabled power meter/ trainer Id have to get a 4iiii strap and use that to bridge from ANT to Bluetooth and I also think my ipad is too old to be compatible so Id also need another Ipad.  :mellow:

Gundy    96

Fair enough. 

I know lots will say dumb trainer and power meter is all you need but I think a smart trainer is what takes it from gimmicky to awesome.

With dumb trainer and powermeter I think I would use Sufferfest app over Zwift.

willie    598
21 minutes ago, roxii said:

Sweet mate thanks. 

I will include the ANT+ dongle if you don't have one as well... I don't have any use for it anymore. 

Will work out a time to catch up with you soon. Maybe the fatties can have a run and a beer? 

Cape_Horn    163

Currently Zwift feeding a kickr runs off a dedicated pc in my house.

Runs both Zwift and Sufferfest App at the same time (2x Ant+ sticks)

16gig of ram and an AMD A8-3800 or some such cpu+apu

Does the job. (not bad for ~300 in computer hardware) - but if I was buying the whole thing now, I would still custom build the computer (basic is fine) - but I would be looking at the TACX Neo, not the KICKR (Cobbles feedback in zwift :D)

• Like 1

Rog    1,546

Apple TV app coming soon for Zwift. 

If that works well it will be the easiest setup ever, provided you have Bluetooth. 

• Like 2

Peter    1,547

I noticed last night that you can ride 25k a week without being a member.

Clearly after I signed up I noticed.

skinnee    18

Most important plenty of air from a couple of fans to keep cool 

Shane miller on YouTube has plenty of tips 

AJS    15

Ha!

I've been having all these trials and tribulations lately and have a few other things to add! Zwift does I believe run on iPads, but they need to be quite recent ones my iPad air is too ancient to run it (and it's only 2 years old)...

And Apple TV ain't all it's cracked up to be! I run Ful Gaz and Trainer Road off the iPad and through Apple TV - and the longest I've had either run seamlessly without falling over is about 25 mins...

Hmmmm... mebbe I'm just a tech-numpty...

:-)

Peter    1,547

That's an apple TV issue.

I gave up on mine and now use googlechrome to watch TV.  AppleTV was always farking up.

Re running ZWIFT I used it when I got my Kickr but found my old laptop struggled to run it.

Just got a new laptop and it runs fine now.

But whats with the daily updates? Fark everytime I start ZWIFT it spends a few minutes updating software AGAIN.

I wish they would just save them for monthly

skinnee    18

Apple TV 4 will support Zwift native soon - but yeah a cheap pc build with a decent graphics card will run it easily and cheaper than a new iPad 

willie    598

He's got a pretty decent computer to get it workin. Shouldn't be too long before he's back to reasonably fit :P no excuses now. 

dazmuzza    33
17 hours ago, Peter said:

AppleTV was always farking up.

What gen Apple TV do you have?

My Apple TV 3 is struggling at th emoment (not with Zwift). Likely Apple TV 5 will come out this year.

Peter    1,547

I have the 3 as well.

I am not upgrading.  Chromecast works without an issues at all.

Bored@work    1,414

OK I'm a numpty when it comes to IT. 

I have the following set up Kickr running off Mac Book air with a Ant+ dongle.  Works great no problems at all. 

Questions: 

I assume I need Chromecast to mirror the laptop to the SmartTV (thought I could do it via bluetooth) 

Can I control the zwift session on my laptop off my iPhone (I want to be able to do U turn (for hill reps) from the iPhone. 

If I join a race off my iPhone it transfers to the laptop no problems.  But I can't use the U turn function.  

Gundy    96

Don't know about Chromecast. I've just got an HDMI cable from the laptop to the TVs screen. 

The Zwift app on your Iphone can be used as a game controller so long as they're sharing the same wifi signal. So turns/uturns, giving ride ons, switching views etc, power ups etc. 

i think if you join a race/ group ride you lose the ability to make turns for the duration of the race so that everyone follows the same route. You will get that ability back once the race is finished. 

You do know that the arrows on your laptop keyboard will also make turns?

Andrew #1    812
On 21/06/2017 at 11:39 AM, zed said:

Has anyone used Zwift running yet?

I noticed a dude running around the volcano in watopia last evening. Was that  another player or just some game graphics?