KieranR

IM Cairns 2017

279 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Stikman said:

Okay, you talked me in to it.  Just entered the full.  Zero training for an Ironman but what's the worst that can happen?  (That's a rhetorical question by the way, please don't answer it.)

Awesome! See you there fella! We can stroll a fee ks together and have a good catch up.

I am so not looking forward to this! Ok I am! No I'm not! Can't wait! Why did I sign up for another one! Only 5 sleeps to go! Oh poo! Yay!

3 people like this

43 minutes ago, TenPints said:

Awesome! See you there fella! We can stroll a fee ks together and have a good catch up.

I am so not looking forward to this! Ok I am! No I'm not! Can't wait! Why did I sign up for another one! Only 5 sleeps to go! Oh poo! Yay!

My sentiments exactly on all fronts.  I have a reasonably long history of stupid things but this may prove to be the most stupidest.  See you there!

2 people like this

21 hours ago, Stikman said:

My sentiments exactly on all fronts.  I have a reasonably long history of stupid things but this may prove to be the most stupidest.  See you there!

I'm feeling your pain! I'm in the same boat 😝

Looks like being able to enter late even up to the day before is a good thing

i know of three people that have enters cairns in the last week 

Im starting to think about Beer, as i haven't had one for six months, i plan on plenty afterwards.....will there be a beer mile on the Monday?, I plan on training hard for it on Sunday night

34 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Im starting to think about Beer, as i haven't had one for six months, i plan on plenty afterwards.....will there be a beer mile on the Monday?, I plan on training hard for it on Sunday night

There had better be one! 

56 minutes ago, KieranR said:

I abstained for a few months before my first IM and had big plans to smash it post race, but I felt sick for about 6 hours after and I reckon I only managed to get through 2 beers in 3 hours...  they weren't going down well at all! So my advice, pace your race, don't go all out, make sure you have plenty in reserve for the post race party!

How's the ocean looking? Any pics?

26 minutes ago, Tossacoin said:

There had better be one! 

Last year the beer mile was a fizzer compared to previous riotous times. 

The logistics of the Cairns beer mile have become hampered by

- the timing of the afternoon awards function in town

- having to host the beer mile out of the range of community cameras policing public alcohol consumption ( a few k away from town centre) I.e. No spectator crowd 

- Coffs Pete has announced his retirement from Master of Ceremonies role, at Port.

Sorry for being a party pooper, but I think the Trannies Beer Mile(s) should concentrate on Port and Busso. 

On 06/06/2017 at 11:35 AM, TenPints said:

Huzzah!

catch up sometime?

I arrived in Cairns yesterday. Today, cool morning. I did a bike/run from Trinity Park to Palm Cove and back, around 1pm - 2pm.  About 26-ish and quite windy too, coming from the south so a headwind going back towards Cairns.

Forecast is for it to stay about the same all through the weekend, if so I'll be happy with that compared to sweatfests of previous years I did it. Maybe some rain on Sunday afternoon/evening.

I'll see if I can get some pics of the sea tomorrow.

Cheers,

Paul

1 person likes this

Thanks for update some pics of the ocean would be good. I fly in tonight. 

The forecast has the wind dropping down slightly now but it is the weatherman - for all we know it'll be a cyclone out there on the day. 

Last time: 

• SE 30 km/h
  • Gusts: 54 km/h

Latest: 

• S 17 km/h
  • Gusts: 24 km/h

Palm Cove  08:45 08/06/2017. 

Slight breeze, clear skies. Flat sea. Sun feels strong, good sunblock required. Btw the road into Palm Cove is now closed before the roundabout. 

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0857.MOV

IMG_0858.JPG

4 people like this

Water cooler than expected - much warmer than the ocean where I've been training (near Wollongong) but still cool. Wetsuits strongly likely (was: 'guaranteed' - but just in case...). 

Edited by WhiffyFuzzball
1 person likes this

On 2017-6-7 at 0:23 PM, iFoz said:

Last year the beer mile was a fizzer compared to previous riotous times. 

The logistics of the Cairns beer mile have become hampered by

- the timing of the afternoon awards function in town

- having to host the beer mile out of the range of community cameras policing public alcohol consumption ( a few k away from town centre) I.e. No spectator crowd 

- Coffs Pete has announced his retirement from Master of Ceremonies role, at Port.

Sorry for being a party pooper, but I think the Trannies Beer Mile(s) should concentrate on Port and Busso. 

All good, I didn't realise the logistics. I now have a reason to consider entering Busso 

My wife thinks I'm paranoid! 

IMG_3421.JPG

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, KieranR said:

My wife thinks I'm paranoid! 

More than I wrap my Argon in the same bag.

I have a feeling my last trip may have forgotten the seat cover too...

(OTOH - if I had an IA, that might be a little less extra padding than what I would be putting in the bag...)

Question - how much does your IA weigh? (with everything except wheels/nutrition?)

Edited by Cape_Horn

5 hours ago, Cape_Horn said:

More than I wrap my Argon in the same bag.

I have a feeling my last trip may have forgotten the seat cover too...

(OTOH - if I had an IA, that might be a little less extra padding than what I would be putting in the bag...)

Question - how much does your IA weigh? (with everything except wheels/nutrition?)

To be honest I've no idea what it weighs, never bothered to check, I'm not elite and I'm fat so it's never been a major concern for me. I'll find out though and let you know

For those Trannies staying at Palm Cove and/or don't want to go to the carbo party in Cairns there is a trivia night at Palm Cove RSL from 7pm tomorrow night (FRiday). My wife and I are going and have booked a table under the name Transitions. Send me a PM if you are interested in coming along and I;ll make sure there is enough room on our Table.

Cheers Andrew #1

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

For those Trannies staying at Palm Cove and/or don't want to go to the carbo party in Cairns there is a trivia night at Palm Cove RSL from 7pm tomorrow night (FRiday). My wife and I are going and have booked a table under the name Transitions. Send me a PM if you are interested in coming along and I;ll make sure there is enough room on our Table.

Cheers Andrew #1

I'd take you up on that if i was going up.

This will be my 5th year I haven't been up there. Geez i love that race and destination. The bike is fast and run is hot.

Good luck to everyone racing. I envy all of you.

1 person likes this

Right, let's go with numbers and targets.

TenPints: 974, getting through a priority, hoping for sub-13