KieranR

IM Cairns 2017

279 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, goughy said:

Seriously dude, you don't have a work address you can get the stuff delivered to!

Rookie mistake.

nope, work on a gas plant,  but meh, she finds out anyway, more than likely already knows as we have only one bank account, maybe she thinks ive bought her something and is holding out hope until it arrives and realizes its not for her......if only she ran or rode she's get stuff all the time.

2 people like this

Yeah, that one account thing is a pisser for the secret supplies thing...

Anyone has a link to last year's race which was shown on TV (the one hour-ish one)? The only one I could find is this on YouTube. I enjoy watching prior year's race highlights on race week to shit myself! :P

If you can't find anything, try some Dulcolax.... That should get things suitably moving ;)

After doing nothing for the last month, I entered on Friday. New challenge: to finish. This will be iron-dist #5 and (hopefully) Beer Mile #1

How's the weather looking for Cairns? 

35 minutes ago, zed said:

How's the weather looking for Cairns? 

1 person likes this

24°HIRealFeel® 23°Precipitation 57%

Cloudy with a touch of rain
  • SE 30 km/h
  • Gusts: 54 km/h

• Max UV Index: 5 (Moderate)
  • Thunderstorms: 0%
  • Precipitation: 2 mm
  • Rain: 2 mm
  • Snow: 0 CM
  • Ice: 0 mm
  • Hours of Precipitation: 2 hrs
  • Hours of Rain: 2 hrs

Exactly like every other year. Bummed to be missing it, great race and location!

My local resident Cairns mate says it's been very windy for the last week. Temp and humidity fine though.

1 person likes this

Okay, you talked me in to it.  Just entered the full.  Zero training for an Ironman but what's the worst that can happen?  (That's a rhetorical question by the way, please don't answer it.)

2 people like this

Here I am wondering whether my 8week lead-in is sufficient. Come on here and there's people signing up on a whim and/or not training for the month prior. 

Not sure who's crazy me for worrying or them for entering. 

3 minutes ago, johan said:

Here I am wondering whether my 8week lead-in is sufficient. Come on here and there's people signing up on a whim and/or not training for the month prior. 

Not sure who's crazy me for worrying or them for entering. 

You can do an IM without much training, it just won't be quick.

9 minutes ago, zed said:

ive trained for 22 weeks and i still wont be quick!

9 minutes ago, zed said:

The real definition of suckers for pain. Triathletes really are a strange breed of human. 

1 hour ago, johan said:

The real definition of suckers for pain. Triathletes really are a strange breed of human. 

This!! I've done a half distance on not much training and that was bloody hard! Far out, you guys are real suckers for punishment!

Looking forward to a day of tracking. Wish I was heading down, love this race! Maybe the full next year.

There is a difference between racing and competing an Ironman.  You can roll around on almost no training if you have a big enough base. 

I know I have done it. 

3 people like this

3 hours ago, johan said:

"It isn't heroic - it's masochistic"

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

There is a difference between racing and competing an Ironman.  You can roll around on almost no training if you have a big enough base. 

I know I have done it. 

Same, no swimming for 3 months - Sure - how hard can it be (Answer - not my slowest...) - no power for the bike? just tap out what you can, but stay aero. No run training? you can walk 6km/h easy, which is a 7hour run split (been there, don't recommend it) 

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

I know I have done it. 

Correct 

Im sure I read on here once no training and you should still crack 13hrs....lol 

3 people like this

I could only get $85.00 dollar a night at the Cairns Motor in, anybody else beat that? :huh:

6 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Pretty sure that's right 

I'm sure I read on here once that if certain forum members bend over you can pull a pot of gold from their arse.

34 minutes ago, ironpo said:

Pretty sure that's right 

3 people like this

7 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

57 minutes ago, ironpo said:

Pretty sure that's right 

It all depends what you mean by "training". If you consider the general tick-over of fitness that a lot of people do (the occasional run & ride & swim, and playing a sport) as not really training, then yes, a lot of people could do 13 hours without any specific IM training.

We are the exception though. :)