KieranR

IM Cairns 2017

279 posts in this topic

Is it too early to start a thread? - couldn't find one in the search function

Will be my first full ironman, cant wait to get back and race there, loved the atmosphere last year when I did the 70.3.  

But the most important question is, Will the good folk from here be running another beer mile on the Monday?  There is a bunch of people form my tri club who are keen to participate 

1 person likes this

Definitely not too early. Cranky started the Cairns 2016 thread in June 2015.

1 person likes this

Isn't there already one started for 2019?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Isn't there already one started for 2019?

Got a feeling you might be right :D

When does entry close

cranky is keen to enter but doesn't want to miss the cut again

:wine:

If I do the 5km fun run, and break 20minutes, can I join beer mile......... :D 

1 person likes this

I'm heading to race...but only so I qualify for the Beer Mile!

I'm out :(

first time in 5 years I won't be up there. Shame as my training is tracking well, but I have some significant work

/career related challenges to attend to May through to July. Alas. 

Enjoy everybody. Love racing there, even with the rain and wind we have had for each of the past 4 years ...

On 4/7/2017 at 6:46 PM, skel said:

:wine:

If I do the 5km fun run, and break 20minutes, can I join beer mile......... :D 

hahaha, nice one, we did the 5km "fun run" last year with the kids.....turned into a 1:20 torture fest, daughter "hates" running, she preferred to dance and skip...and sing, then wanted to try and convince me to let her fire twirl!  then the son needed to Pooh!

On 4/8/2017 at 4:20 PM, TenPints said:

I'm heading to race...but only so I qualify for the Beer Mile!

I love the qualifying requirements for the beer mile!

On 4/9/2017 at 7:01 AM, Andrew #1 said:

I'm out :(

first time in 5 years I won't be up there. Shame as my training is tracking well, but I have some significant work

/career related challenges to attend to May through to July. Alas. 

Enjoy everybody. Love racing there, even with the rain and wind we have had for each of the past 4 years ...

Thats a bugger mate, it sure is a fantastic place to race, last  year was my first time racing there 70.3 and i enjoyed the whole weekend! Cant wait to get back again this year...last year was only a short 4 hr drive as we are from Townsville, but no longer, we are now back in the pilbara so its a longer trip....and a lot more expensive to get there!

Hope all goes well with the upcoming challenges you have.

2 people like this

23 hours ago, KieranR said:

hahaha, nice one, we did the 5km "fun run" last year with the kids.....turned into a 1:20 torture fest, daughter "hates" running, she preferred to dance and skip...and sing, then wanted to try and convince me to let her fire twirl!  then the son needed to Pooh!

I love the qualifying requirements for the beer mile!

Thats a bugger mate, it sure is a fantastic place to race, last  year was my first time racing there 70.3 and i enjoyed the whole weekend! Cant wait to get back again this year...last year was only a short 4 hr drive as we are from Townsville, but no longer, we are now back in the pilbara so its a longer trip....and a lot more expensive to get there!

Hope all goes well with the upcoming challenges you have.

Thanks. I'm already regretting pulling the pin already! 

sunshine coast  70.3 is just around the corner though!

On Friday, April 07, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Tall Paul said:

Definitely not too early. Cranky started the Cairns 2016 thread in June 2015.

It's never too easily to get excited about a day that will be one of the best and most memorable days of your life.  

Oh look at that!  My cadence just picked up! 

On Friday, April 07, 2017 at 7:08 PM, ironpo said:

When does entry close

cranky is keen to enter but doesn't want to miss the cut again

I'm very sad that I won't be there this year 😢

ive been training for Cairns, was disappointed to be a DNS last year. About 12 weeks ago I had high hopes of drilling down and having a real crack at this one (IM distance number 5 if I make it) but the motivation and commitment levels just haven't been there this time around. Booked accommo, booked flights, just haven't entered. How's that for non-commitment!! Hoping to put a few more weeks of solid training together so I can get through the day before the rest of you are in bed!

I'm in! For my 3rd time in Cairns and 11th Ironman. Was a late decision, already signed up for Busso end of the year. But the temptation to apply for Legacy a year earlier was too hard to resist. With a good past few weeks of training, I decided to take the plunge. See you there!

Nice, I'm a fairly late entry too (havn't paid entry but flights/accom booked). Decided last week, as I can no longer do Busso. IMNZ a couple of months ago was my first full. Did the half in Cairns last year. 

Coach (Al) has thrown me straight in. Ride/Run is ok but have lost a ridiculous amount of swim strength. 

What are we 6-7 weeks away? 

Edited by johan

20 hours ago, Tossacoin said:

ive been training for Cairns, was disappointed to be a DNS last year. About 12 weeks ago I had high hopes of drilling down and having a real crack at this one (IM distance number 5 if I make it) but the motivation and commitment levels just haven't been there this time around. Booked accommo, booked flights, just haven't entered. How's that for non-commitment!! Hoping to put a few more weeks of solid training together so I can get through the day before the rest of you are in bed!

I actually like the way you have done this, accom and flights are the hardest thing to book early for the right price, I like your level of non commitment though, its impressive, heres hoping you enter and you make it to race day.

21 minutes ago, k3vski said:

I'm in! For my 3rd time in Cairns and 11th Ironman. Was a late decision, already signed up for Busso end of the year. But the temptation to apply for Legacy a year earlier was too hard to resist. With a good past few weeks of training, I decided to take the plunge. See you there!

Impressive stuff mate, 11th IM, hopefully the weather is a bit nicer than last year

7 minutes ago, johan said:

Nice, I'm a fairly late entry too (havn't paid entry but flights/accom booked). Decided last week, as I can no longer do Busso. IMNZ a couple of months ago was my first full. Did the half in Cairns last year. 

Coach (Al) has thrown me straight in. Ride/Run is ok but have lost a ridiculous amount of swim strength. 

Awesome, i did the half last year too, well going by reports form IMNZ this year it was a brutal day so hopefully Cairns plays nice weather wise this year, I raced Taupo 70.3 in December and it was a ripping day, came out of the lake with frozen fingers though haha.

My Daughter tells me its 45 more sleeps until race day or as she puts it after reading my plan 72 more training activities.

haha nice way to count it down. Unsure how many training activities I have left. 

Yeh hoping for a nice swim, after being promised one of the best at IMNZ it turned out chaotic, and Cairns last year wasn't exactly amazing either. Humidity in Cairns last year also wasn't a massive issue with all the rain so that might be a different experience this year. 

Oh and a flat run course compared to NZ. 

Have you picked up a coach for first full? 

I had a coach for my first half as i had no idea what i was doing, but now im ok with doing my own thing, I've taken some info from a few different things and plans ive seen and am making it work for me with my work, family, training lifestyle and I'm happy.  

You will have to go back to NZ and swim the lake when its calm, its my home town, and the lake can really turn it on and have beautiful swims...although bloody cold haha

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Tossacoin said:

6 hours ago, johan said:

Just don't forget to register before it sells out/closes!! 😂

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Just don't forget to register before it sells out/closes!! 😂

Just waiting for that Endura competition to close to see if I get lucky!! That would be awesome. Save ~$900 or whatever its going to be. If not luck i'll be straight on as think next price rise is next week or something. 

Tweaked my calf on the weekend. So frustrating, this has haunted me for almost 2yrs now. Perhaps I'm just getting old 🤔

49 minutes ago, Tossacoin said:

Tweaked my calf on the weekend. So frustrating, this has haunted me for almost 2yrs now. Perhaps I'm just getting old 🤔

jeez thats unlucky.....whats the plan now? Still committed to Cairns? 

I signed up yesterday after 4hr tide and 40min run. So all locked in now. 

33 minutes ago, johan said:

I signed up yesterday after 4hr tide and 40min run. So all locked in now. 

Good stuff, it must be getting close to sold out, Life happened for me yesterday, my 4yr old boy has health issues and his body is letting him down at the moment so my planned 4 hr ride yesterday just didn't happen, I was hoping I could have hopped on the trainer for a couple hours last night but that didn't happen either....hopefully i can get in the pool tonight

Tossa - thats a shame mate, hopefully It's not a show stopper

On 27/04/2017 at 9:47 AM, k3vski said:

But the temptation to apply for Legacy a year earlier was too hard to resist. With a good past few weeks of training, I decided to take the plunge. See you there!

Not a bad idea

the way the legacy program is filling it will take 5years to get to Kona soon , after you get to 12 and apply of course

1 person likes this

I'm leaning towards just doing the 70.3. I did an ultra Marra in March, totally underestimated the recovery I think

I am so stuffed for this. My training has reduced to zero with everything that's going on and my damned injuries flaring up. The upside is, is that I have upgraded my bike to Di2, and a new saddle (which I should actually sit on before race day), and have a power meter for the first time ever - so I'll be sticking to 75% of my FTP (which I need to test, but I'm guessing it's about 90W), in order to survive the run - and assuming I don't drown as I'm not sure I can remember how to swim...Getting concerned about that beer mile!

1 person likes this