torx

flogs

68 posts in this topic

Does the guy behind me collecting 911's by colour count as a flog, or a lucky bastard.

Guy comes in to the shop and asks to look at Ultegra or Dura ace chains. He is shown the options, but sees the price tag.

"I can buy them at half the price online." he says before turning and walking out of the store without another word.

This guy is a flog; it is pretty well established that you can buy stuff online cheaper than in store. But if you can't wait a week and you need a chain/tube/tyre/cable right there and then, then it's like petrol on the nullabor - if you need it, it costs what it costs. Instead he wasted my time and gave me the shits.

Another day, a young guy comes in with a busted back wheel on a bike he bought on gumtree. Wheel was not repairable, I quoted him on a replacement wheel.

"Well, that's about double what I paid for the bike. Can I have those details you just worked out so I can go and shop around?"

my reply "No, I will keep them right here, and if you want to buy from somewhere else you can do your own research."

ps the price of the wheel was $79

I could go on. I may later.

Edited by torx
further info
3 people like this

1 hour ago, Stikman said:

They gather in packs, normally in the same colours, on the bars, around six inches separating wheels.  To be fair to them it's a common saying to "train how you race" and come race day I often see the same colours in the same formation.

are PIS doing a training camp for port in Perth ? LOL

Edited by ironpo
2 people like this

I am happy to yell at someone being a flog, especially if it's in the interests of safety.... it's quite satisfying.

I once many years ago didn't do as above and someone lost their life an hour later.   I don't dwell on it (as it wasn't my fault in any way), but it was a bit crappy at the time

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, BC_J400 said:

I am happy to yell at someone being a flog, especially if it's in the interests of safety.... it's quite satisfying.

Yep

Sometimes I flog myself.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, torx said:

Guy comes in to the shop and asks to look at Ultegra or Dura ace chains. He is shown the options, but sees the price tag.

"I can buy them at half the price online." he says before turning and walking out of the store without another word.

This guy is a flog; it is pretty well established that you can buy stuff online cheaper than in store. But if you can't wait a week and you need a chain/tube/tyre/cable right there and then, then it's like petrol on the nullabor - if you need it, it costs what it costs. Instead he wasted my time and gave me the shits.

Another day, a young guy comes in with a busted back wheel on a bike he bought on gumtree. Wheel was not repairable, I quoted him on a replacement wheel.

"Well, that's about double what I paid for the bike. Can I have those details you just worked out so I can go and shop around?"

my reply "No, I will keep them right here, and if you want to buy from somewhere else you can do your own research."

ps the price of the wheel was $79

I could go on. I may later.

I met a few of these tools when I had a bike shop - it truly opens your eyes how stupid these bastards are - I had two brothers come in and price a couple of hybrid type bikes - basic things worth less than $300 at the time - they went to the other side of town and bought them there at $20 a bike less than I had quoted - then they came in to show me ??? - I don't know why - then they needed a service after a couple of months and it was too far across town so they got me to do it ??? - They paid for the privilege :wink1: 

1 person likes this

Those age groupers in every race that fly past up every hill and then when they reach the top, sit up, stop pedalling, have a drink and roll down the other side while I have to brake in order to get out out the back of their draft zone before I can overtake.

1 person likes this

Surely the flogs are anyone who is better or looks like they might be better than me in anything.

2 hours ago, Naut said:

Surely the flogs are anyone who is better or looks like they might be better than me in anything.

Isn't that everyone???

13 minutes ago, ironpo said:

Isn't that everyone???

My Mum says I am good at lots of thing

3 people like this

5 hours ago, BenjieB said:

Those age groupers in every race that fly past up every hill and then when they reach the top, sit up, stop pedalling, have a drink and roll down the other side while I have to brake in order to get out out the back of their draft zone before I can overtake.

Or those that fly past you on the bike, full aero helmet, disc wheel only to see them walking at the 2km mark of the run.  It is a triathlon

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Naut said:

My Mum says I am good at lots of thing

When she said you were responsible, she didn't mean it in a good way.

20 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Or those that fly past you on the bike, full aero helmet, disc wheel only to see them walking at the 2km mark of the run.  It is a triathlon

If going ok on the bike and 'getting through' the run is the only way I can stay in this awesome sport, that's what I'll do, flog or not. B)

Having lived away from Aus for many years of my adult life, I can honestly say that critisising people for simply 'having a go' or 'not doing it quite right' is an Australian trait. I suspect it's closely related to 'tall poppy syndrome'.

This morning I was out riding with a guy on a $12,000 Speed Concept - hairly legs, white business socks, wobbling all over the road. No one gave a sh1t and he was lovin' it.

Edited by The Customer
9 people like this

On Thursday, April 06, 2017 at 7:57 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You should live in Samford. Try as I might, I can't see why a group of 50 or 60 needs to ride to the right of the white line up the range.

Duh. Because there is only enough room for 4 of them to the left of the white line.  Can't argue about the best brand of coffee with only 4 people. 

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, The Customer said:

Having lived away from Aus for many years of my adult life, I can honestly say that critisising people for simply 'having a go' or 'not doing it quite right' is an Australian trait. I suspect it's closely related to 'tall poppy syndrome'.

I suspect you're right!

It's kinda weird really when 'having a go' is also supposedly an Australian trait.  I guess that means that we're damned if we do, and damned if we don't...   I figure you may as well just ignore what everyone else thinks and if it's not hurting anyone else then just do as you want!

8 hours ago, The Customer said:

This morning I was out riding with a guy on a $12,000 Speed Concept - hairly legs, white business socks, wobbling all over the road. No one gave a sh1t and he was lovin' it.

Good on him, I love seeing people getting out and doing what they want.  There could be much worse things out there that he could be spending his money on, and if this is what it takes for him to get some enjoyment out of the sport then so be it.

The only time it bugs me is when them same people seem to think they are better than you simply because they have all the right gear...  I tend to then make a point of showing them that having all the right gear sometimes just doesn't matter.  No need to say anything!

1 person likes this

The absolute Number 1 flogs in my book are those people who go online and tell others about how they won or placed in some big race last weekend, when really they only got second in their 'Age Group' at some back of Bullamackanka event...  especially when there was only two people racing in their 5 year age group anyway!

I know we all come on here and joke around about our race results etc, and good on these people for 'having a go' anyway, but some individuals are seriously happy to not quite tell the truth in order to impress their friends & family and then receive the accolades that are showered upon them...  The worst part is that there's not much you can do about it anyway, as if you say anything then it appears to be a case of sour grapes or TC's tall poppy syndrome.  I know it shouldn't worry me so much, and it doesn't really, I just feel for the ones who beat them overall but never receive any praise.  People who purposely don't tell the whole story regarding their age group results just to make themselves look good are complete 'flogs' in my book.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, The Customer said:

Does living OS also make your lose your sense of humour and the great Australian trait of taking the piss and being able to laugh at yourself?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Good on him, I love seeing people getting out and doing what they want.  There could be much worse things out there that he could be spending his money on, and if this is what it takes for him to get some enjoyment out of the sport then so be it.

The only time it bugs me is when them same people seem to think they are better than you simply because they have all the right gear...  I tend to then make a point of showing them that having all the right gear sometimes just doesn't matter.  No need to say anything!

This is pretty much me these days too. 

It seems as time goes by the world despite all out communication technology is becoming more insular. And then people feel the need to be critical of anyone that doesn't fit their mould. 

Limr Danny Glover "I'm too old for that shit" 

the more people in out sport and the more money they spend the healthier our sport will be.

just stick to the universal motto of "don't be a dick" 

4 people like this

Flogs seen many today.   While I was cycling a blind man walking across traffic lights legally, he drops his stick and becomes flustered stops the lights turn green for cars, they start honking and abusing him telling him to get off the ****ing road.  I got off my bike and went and helped him and the **** drivers just went straight past us like there was nothing happening we were still on the ****ing road for christ sake.  At least we made it safely to the footpath and no one flogged my bike.  

Seen many flog drivers but today takes the cake this is case of what the **** are people thinking?

5 people like this

6 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Flogs seen many today.   While I was cycling a blind man walking across traffic lights legally, he drops his stick and becomes flustered stops the lights turn green for cars, they start honking and abusing him telling him to get off the ****ing road.  I got off my bike and went and helped him and the **** drivers just went straight past us like there was nothing happening we were still on the ****ing road for christ sake.

Great work FB, if there were more people like you in the world it would be a much nicer place.

Sometimes you just gotta wonder about some people!

1 person likes this

On 06/04/2017 at 3:40 PM, Stikman said:

They gather in packs, normally in the same colours, on the bars, around six inches separating wheels.  To be fair to them it's a common saying to "train how you race" and come race day I often see the same colours in the same formation.

Like the "Hills" cycling group, in their blue and white jerseys, leaving from Deep Water Point this morning ;) Hope you enjoyed your ride.