roxii

Help me "learn to run"

63 posts in this topic

if you can try running trails, not the gentle ones but some steep stuff. The reason is you have to run slower, and walk sometimes. this has the benefit of keeping it interesting, allowing the body to recover on the walks, core strength from the twisting climbing etc.

I learnt to run slowly to do an ultra so running 6.30 pace and getting passed by everyone on a popular run circuit is the best way to check the ego.Also you may be surpprised at how secnic it can be:rolleyes:

Another i like is sand running, that is just sheer hell in the soft sand, but great workout for the body and mind.

Wear the garmin but with the screen on HR, time. then you can look at it afterwards if you like.

I'm a similar weight and had a year of due to injury and it just takes time and you need to make it interesting.

1 person likes this

Sounds good Rory, whale season is almost here so might get back to my whale watching loop. Its 12 k with about 4 k of bitumen, the rest is sandstone cliffs, sandy trails and a bit of firetrail. 

....and usually see the odd big fish as well. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Pete said:

the 100+ ks group is where it's all at :)

I've been there. 

I found that as soon as I just got running I got better. Regardless of pace. Running as a fatty is hard. Running as an older fatty is harder. Your going to have a high heart rate no matter what the pace. 

Just run. Run some more and gradually strength will come back. If it gets too uncomfortable, walk some. Then run some more. Don't run on back to back days if you can help it, until you're comfortable. 

I'd go against doing trails (I don't count gravel paths and fire trail as trail, more the rugged not so well kept trail), hard sand is ok. make it as easy on yourself as possible whilst you're getting back into it. Once the body is feeling a bit better and you're a bit stronger start to throw some in there. 

Enjoy chaffe, in places you never imagined. Haha

I hear you roxii, my fastest marathon came of my lowest volume training. The only problem was I was also my lowest weight (86kgs).

Contemplating a low volume training marathon this year and seeing if I can get down to 82kgs for it. Hoping I might get a new PB without destroying myself training.

i think you need a new bike

2 people like this

On 4/4/2017 at 1:11 PM, roxii said:

Sounds good Rory, whale season is almost here so might get back to my whale watching loop. Its 12 k with about 4 k of bitumen, the rest is sandstone cliffs, sandy trails and a bit of firetrail. 

....and usually see the odd big fish as well. 

Mate ill come and have a jog with you if you want out at far kurnell I dont know much but I reckon I give a few tips.

Pm if you go on Saturday see if I can work it in.

1 person likes this

So Roxii has gotten old, he's been told to just do long slow stuff, and join the 100K+ group

Anyone else getting visions of Roxii in gum boots shuffling to Melbourne?

2 people like this

This post seems very familiar ? 

1 person likes this

Yeah I gotta give up giving up running, hopefully now life will be a bit more settled and I can keep doing it,

previous times I was trying to run longer and faster on comeback, this time I really think my legs have forgotten how to run, :huh:

18 minutes ago, FatPom said:

This post seems very familiar ? 

many of us can relate to what Roxii said just to scared to say and ask for advise (thats me anyway)

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

many of us can relate to what Roxii said just to scared to say and ask for advise (thats me anyway)

haha yeah for sure.  I've been shuffling a bit lately but only twice a week, also getting used to the aero position again (at least in the turbo).  My body isn't waving the white flag yet but it's within reach. :lol:

1 person likes this

I'll reinforce JFR Roxii. Forget pace, run 'easy' and often. Walk breaks, etc.

And search up BarryP run training advice- it'll probably take you to Slowtwits. But it's good advice.

1 person likes this

Reading, watching, noting and doing.

23 minutes ago, Naut said:

So did you run today Roxii?

Nah, still struggling after racing on the weekend. 

19 hours ago, Rog said:

I say you're kidding yourself if you think any range of motion or stretching exercises are going to help a 90kg blob feel less uncomfortable running.

If you're struggling with 6min/km for 5kms, run them at 7min/km or slower until it is not a struggle anymore, then progress from there.

For someone like you, more running, not faster running, is the way to go, and the only way to achieve that is to make those runs real slow.

This one, mate....you shouldn't need much range of motion at the currently very SLOW basic endurance pace. I only capitalise that to emphasise the importance. You need to build your constitution (joints, ligaments, muscle durability) along with the low aerobic, too.

Start with JOGGING every second day, and maybe walk (or bike) on days inbetween.

Build duration carefully each week (not each session).

Think 'run all day' effort. No matter how slow, needs to be very conversational/oxygenated.

2 people like this

Thanks all. Will take it on board and try and find my way back to enjoying running again.

Might need to dial back the ipod playlist though, maybe some classical???  

------------------ With nothing on the  horizon I thought I would maybe try and "learn" to run.-------------------------

This is half the reason it's hard to get going - no reason to get going - Rog - Fitness buddy and MJK  - are on the money here - first you have to have a goal (a reason to lose all the excess fat) 

Then face the fact that weight loss is 80% diet 20% exercise -- make it a date that in 4 weeks we'll be at port - lose 1 kg a week up till then - give me a yell out when you see me and tell me your body weight - you're already too old to run consecutive days - especially at 90kg - MJK has the right plan - run walks - forget about the Garmins etc just go somewhere that you can enjoy the surroundings :wink1:

4 people like this

20 minutes ago, AP said:

Then face the fact that weight loss is 80% diet 20% exercise -- make it a date that in 4 weeks we'll be at port - lose 1 kg a week up till then - give me a yell out when you see me and tell me your body weight - you're already too old to run consecutive days - especially at 90kg - MJK has the right plan - run walks - forget about the Garmins etc just go somewhere that you can enjoy the surroundings :wink1:

Done!!! Thanks AP. See you in Port! 

2 minutes ago, Naut said:

So did you run today Roxii?

Nope, family commitments this morning, and Cycle club AGM tonight. 

Weather permitting the plan is ride tomorrow morning, and maybe an easy trot tomorrow afternoon to see how the legs are feeling with a plan to get a longer run in on the weekend.

But AP has me spooked and Ive already cancelled my morning trip to the bikky jar. :lol: 

1 person likes this

I think I am beginning to understand your running issues ;)

1 person likes this

MJK is spot on with the building constitution. Your bones will have lost density, tendons will not be as healthy, muscle gone to shit. Gradually loading the chassis is key to not getting injured. Start running 3 times a week and you will be injured at 4-6 weeks. Do some "weight training" (calf raises, bodyweight squat/single leg squat, bridges, single leg balance, theraband crab walks etc) instead of stretching.

Aim for walking 7,500 steps on top of your incidental activity for 5-7 days a week consistently before you start walk/runs every second day. My generic walk/run program takes you 4-6 weeks to run 3x 30min runs a week.

2 minutes ago, Naut said:

:lol:

22 minutes ago, Naut said:

Yeah I know, I'm am usually a bit of a creature of habit, and enjoyed that fact that I had always kept some base fitness to build on, but the last 15 months or so threw us a few major curveballs that seriously disrupted the routine by not being in our own house and having to deal with all the stuff that came along with getting the house sorted and putting the welfare of the kids as a priority. So "playing triathlon" took a back seat. But I didnt think it would be such a hard road back. 

Be nice if Sydney's weather would play nice too, not easy to get motivated to go for a slow trudge in the rain. 

1 person likes this