roxii

Help me "learn to run"

63 posts in this topic

So I have had a bit of time off and just got back into it after a few stop starts, but my legs arent liking me. 

My history was been doing tri's since 1991, never "learnt" to run just went out and ran. Never had a serious injury, never stretched, never did core work. 

I am not a "talented" runner, more a toiler.  Managed a 3.29 Mara, 1.28 Half Mara and while I never ran a measured 10k I went through 10 in a half once at 41.10 (then blew up spectacularly :lol: ) 

So with LOTS of work I can be "capable" but not great. 

But currently my legs feel like they no longer know how to run.  I feel disconnected with my legs, the movement isnt fluid and am struggling to get beyond 5k without some real physical and mental struggles.

Soooooo.

With nothing on the  horizon I thought I would maybe try and "learn" to run.

So where does one start o try and get back in touch with the "movement" of running? Range of motion type movements to try and get more fluid in my movements? Run drills (knee lifts, heel kicks etc) ? JFR?

....and I know I need to lose some weight as trying to run at (nearly) 90kgs is always gong to be harder than when I was 71kgs. Thats my other homework.

Anyway,,, what say you?  

7 minutes ago, roxii said:

My history was been doing tri's since 1991, never "learnt" to run just went out and ran. Never had a serious injury, never stretched, never did core work. 

I am not a "talented" runner, more a toiler.  Managed a 3.29 Mara, 1.28 Half Mara and while I never ran a measured 10k I went through 10 in a half once at 41.10 (then blew up spectacularly :lol: ) 

I hate you

1 person likes this

Just now, Bored@work said:

I hate you

If it helps Im now struggling to do 6min ks for 5k,,, Happy now? 

factor in how much older you..../ we have gotten since those days Roxxette....:wallbash::o

I say you're kidding yourself if you think any range of motion or stretching exercises are going to help a 90kg blob feel less uncomfortable running.

If you're struggling with 6min/km for 5kms, run them at 7min/km or slower until it is not a struggle anymore, then progress from there.

For someone like you, more running, not faster running, is the way to go, and the only way to achieve that is to make those runs real slow.

Edited by Rog
1 person likes this

Just now, Shrek said:

factor in how much older you..../ we have gotten since those days Roxxette....:wallbash::o

Dont worry Ive been looking for excuses, then someone older, bigger, fatter (or a woman who has just had twins,,, damn you Rach Peridis :lol: ) runs by you like you are standing still! 

Hey Roxii,

You're too fat.

Much love,

Willie (I've been in the same boat, you saw me struggle around farkurnell last time)

Just now, Rog said:

I say you're kidding yourself if you think any range of motion or stretching exercises are going to help a 90kg blob feel less uncomfortable running.

If you're struggling with 6min/km for 5kms, run them at 7min/km or slower until it is not a struggle anymore, then progress from there.

For someone like you, more running, not faster running, is the way to go, and the only way to achieve that is to make those runs real slow.

If I try and run slower, I actually feel worse and feel like I may as well walk. 

Yeah the fat bit is an issue I cant ignore but thought the ROM stuff may make me feel a little looser when I run. Don't get me wrong I already don't stretch or do core so I'm happy to also not do any ROM exercises. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, willie said:

Hey Roxii,

You're too fat.

Much love,

Willie (I've been in the same boat, you saw me struggle around farkurnell last time)

:lol: Lucky Im thick skinned 

Yeah I know but I have been fat before and still been able to run OK, a lot of my IM's I did around 83-84 kgs.

This time it is really different, its like my legs have forgotten HOW to run. 

So forget the fancy stuff, just shut my mouth and run??? 

2 people like this

Roxii,

You'll never run as fluid & natural as you did after a long break. Not for a long time anyway. I got down to 39 for 10km a few years ago, yet if I looked at any photo during those races I looked like I was a BoPer. As a couple have said, wind down the effort on speed & run slow for longer. Try to up your cadence a bit, and think about where you're putting your feet and what your posture's like. 

Just do a bit of stretching, but no need to go overboard unless you have issues with something.

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, roxii said:

:lol: Lucky Im thick skinned 

So forget the fancy stuff, just shut my mouth and run??? 

Exactly. Just run. 

I started riding my bike again which I've found is helping my running... I guess I stopped triathlon at the same time as running, so strength was gone from both but in a way they both compliment each other. 

But alas I'm well on the way to a close to 3hr marathon in Melbourne later this year. I could barely do a 1.55 half not that long ago. 

1 person likes this

IMO its all about patience - Go back to the long, (REALLY) slow run.  concentrate on low HR and and some real, slow k's. Give yourself sheetloads of recovery time.

Get your medium runs happening with a bit of gusto but work around your recovery from the Long slow stuff..

I have gone from 6+ minutes per k (actually closer to 7) for 10k now down to a smidgen over 5 with my sights on the 4:30s in the next month or so.  

Hardest part is not being able to run with your running mates anymore (they are just too fast) at least for a while.

Just now, Pete said:

IMO its all about patience - Go back to the long, (REALLY) slow run.  concentrate on low HR and and some real, slow k's. Give yourself sheetloads of recovery time.

Get your medium runs happening with a bit of gusto but work around your recovery from the Long slow stuff..

What is "long" in this instance? 

Starting out, maybe 12ks then 2 weeks later 16 ks then a couple of weeks after that crack the 20 (a couple being anything from 2 to 4 depending on your recovery) with a commensurate mid week medium run distance of, say, 5, 8 and 11, maybe?  

I know everyone is different but it almost feels like the longer and slower (like really slow) and less frequent I run the better I am getting :)

The secret is in the recovery donuts.

Just now, Naut said:

The secret is in the recovery donuts.

I fear that is what got me in this predicament in the first place. 

1 person likes this

The real secret to recovery donuts is to not have recovery donuts. It's a pretty stupid secret though.

2 people like this

Just now, Naut said:

The real secret to recovery donuts is to not have recovery donuts. It's a pretty stupid secret though.

:lol::lol::lol: 

From one 90kg'er to another forget pace.

I still record all my runs with my Garmin but never watch pace. I only run to RPE. 

Run more and just run at what ever "comfortable" is. Most likely you'll be doing 6:30's for a month and before you know it you'll be back in the 5:XX's.

I lost the enjoyment of running after getting fat because I wanted to run at 5 something kays. And hated it. I'm back running at about 5:40 now with the same RPE that 6:15 was in January.

5 people like this

2 minutes ago, nealo said:

From one 90kg'er to another forget pace.

I still record all my runs with my Garmin but never watch pace. I only run to RPE. 

Run more and just run at what ever "comfortable" is. Most likely you'll be doing 6:30's for a month and before you know it you'll be back in the 5:XX's.

I lost the enjoyment of running after getting fat because I wanted to run at 5 something kays. And hated it. I'm back running at about 5:40 now with the same RPE that 6:15 was in January.

pfft - you guys are in the little league - the 100+ ks group is where it's all at :)

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, roxii said:

JFR?

Yes

[/thread]

Ditch the gadgets and focus on what you are doing rather than what pace your are running. 

Best attack IMO is to run/walk.  

10x2min with 30secs walk in between.  Focus on cadence feeling light, running tall.   It is easier to do this 2mins at a time rather than trying 5km where you just dig a big hole. 

Also do some skipping.  This will generate some spring and also emphasise light on feet.  Start small though 30sec with 15secs rest.  

As strength and fitness builds then you add time to the run but still maintain that walk bit. 

Heck a lot of people train to run a marathon by running in a ironman yet probably walk most of it.  

5 people like this

I hate you too Roxii. 

I'd love to run a sub 4 marathon...   I think I'd retire on a 3:29!!!

Great thread though.  I'm learning stuff.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I hate you too Roxii. 

I'd love to run a sub 4 marathon...   I think I'd retire on a 3:29!!!

Great thread though.  I'm learning stuff.

Thanks and its a bit of a feather in my cap, but I dont know if it was worth all the effort I had to put in and the pain I endured. When I go beyond 20k running my body begins to hate me.