Peter

Garmin 935. Wow

100 posts in this topic

Putting aside the custard tart fight I'm now wondering whether I'd be better off upgrading to a xt920, because there is bound to be some cheap deals on offer and I think I like the rectangular face more - at least for cycling and triathlon ... I could end up saving half my money and I'm not sure any of the new features really interest me much.

thoughts?

Edited by The Turtle

11 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Putting aside the custard tart fight I'm now wondering whether I'd be better off upgrading to a xt920, because there is bound to be some cheap deals on offer and I think I like the rectangular face more - at least for cycling and triathlon ... I could end up saving half my money and I'm not sure any of the new features really interest me much.

thoughts?

I will be going for this option myself....

15 hours ago, Peter said:

Okay so lets just review here.

I started a thread saying how cool this new watch is.  I have an extremely old one (310XT) and I'd like to get it when it comes out.

He gets on and bags it and my thoughts on getting it.

Then he says I'm a keyboard warrior.  Meaning I wouldn't say stuff to his face.  

Well sorry to tell you but I would. I say what I think.  I post what I think. No games.

Ironically I was thinking I'd even buy him a coffee and we would probably have a good chat.  

In life we all have hard times.  I've gone thru a lot as most on here have 

But if you don't move on from shit situations and continue to dwell on them for years, you are wasting your life.

Playing the victim is not the answer.  Just go yeah I got some shit cards dealt to me but say fark it, and move on. 

Is the same sort of "coffee" that Beth invited RS to? 

You and FB clearly have beef due to you always speculating in regards to drugs about his missus but you need to get over it. he clearly has some form of depression and last thing he needs is you piling on to him (oh yeah and telling someone to get over it etc is not a winning strategy..)

FB- you shouldnt even be reading a thread that has Garmin or gadget in the title. We all know it doesnt interest you so just dont even click on them as we dont need to hear your anti technology rants. Why dont you focus on where you can add value (like the teach me how to run thread) and the payoff you get from that, and lack of negativity will do wonders for your state of mind...

5 people like this

I just want one of those custard tarts.

2 people like this

12 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

thoughts?

I upgraded last year during the US "black Friday" sales from a 310XT to a 920XT. It cost me $199US. I like the extra screen space on the rectangular watch as I can read the numbers.

Being able to automatically upload 920XT workouts via my phone is a huge benefit over the 310XT via ANT+ and PC.

1 person likes this

Can anyone who has one of these comment on:

(1) Reliability of HR measurements. I like the idea of being able to check my HR periodically during a run without having to wear a strap. I wouldn't expect to use it (myself) for continually monitoring HR, just every 5 minutes or so.

(2) Build quality. Does the plastic build make it more susceptible to breakage?

The optical HR is...

SHITHOUSE

15 minutes ago, Rog said:

The optical HR is...

SHITHOUSE

Can you expand on your experience with the optical HR please. I just want to be sure you are talking from experience and not opinion. Thanks.

Rog, I wore my Fenix HR with no chest strap for the Kurnell race on the weekend and the HR data showing on Strava looks OK with no real outliers. 

12 minutes ago, asmithaxe said:

Can you expand on your experience with the optical HR please. I just want to be sure you are talking from experience and not opinion. Thanks.

My experience is with the 735 and it simply doesn't work.

It's fine if you're walking about checking your heart rate while sitting at your desk but any form of workout (run or bike) and it will just jump all over the place. It's completely unreliable and frustrating, it should never have been released or advertised as a selling point. It may work for some but I only heard of experiences similar to mine, and a quick search on Google shows I am definitely not alone.

1 minute ago, Rog said:

It's fine if you're walking about checking your heart rate while sitting at your desk but any form of workout (run or bike) and it will just jump all over the place. It's completely unreliable and frustrating, it should never have been released or advertised as a selling point. It may work for some but I only heard of experiences similar to mine, and a quick search on Google shows I am definitely not alone.

I have heard similar for other optical HR, so no argument there.  But I'm keen to hear first hand experience of the optical HR in the 935.

4 minutes ago, Rog said:

I've same experience with the 235 (running) model, and use an HR strap instead. But for resting / 24 HR it seems to be ok. 

28 minutes ago, Rog said:

Has the technology changed with the new Fenix5 and 935? My wife's optical HR on her Apple watch is pretty accurate.

3 hours ago, pieman said:

You and FB clearly have beef due to you always speculating in regards to drugs about his missus but you need to get over it. he clearly has some form of depression and last thing he needs is you piling on to him (oh yeah and telling someone to get over it etc is not a winning strategy..)

FB- you shouldnt even be reading a thread that has Garmin or gadget in the title. We all know it doesnt interest you so just dont even click on them as we dont need to hear your anti technology rants. Why dont you focus on where you can add value (like the teach me how to run thread) and the payoff you get from that, and lack of negativity will do wonders for your state of mind...

Nice post. Ill take your advice and comments onboard. 

3 hours ago, pieman said:

well said :)

Interestingly the last 2 races I've done, sprint and OD, I've done it with my wife's old GPS watch, my 920 is on route after being replaced by Garmin. And I ran my fastest run splits for both races with no run data to go on. I am fitter, but it was a different experience running sans technology, you're running more by feel. I find when running with current pace and 1km splits it can have a detrimental effect sometimes, you run hard off the bike thinking you're going quick, but your watch tells you're not or your 1km split comes back and it's really quick, you think it's too quick, but perhaps it's not.... 

30 minutes ago, zed said:

Interestingly the last 2 races I've done, sprint and OD, I've done it with my wife's old GPS watch, my 920 is on route after being replaced by Garmin. And I ran my fastest run splits for both races with no run data to go on. I am fitter, but it was a different experience running sans technology, you're running more by feel. I find when running with current pace and 1km splits it can have a detrimental effect sometimes, you run hard off the bike thinking you're going quick, but your watch tells you're not or your 1km split comes back and it's really quick, you think it's too quick, but perhaps it's not.... 

Exactly my thoughts

12 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Exactly my thoughts

But I don't think I'm wanting to give up on a GPS watch for running quite just yet. There are times when I'm running much quicker than I think I am and vice versa. I think in general I have a relatively good idea, but there are times, when things go a bit whacko, especially first few kms off the bike.

Edited by zed

RE: optical vs 'old strap' HRM

(Garmin HR vs Fitbit ChargeHR)

The fitbit took a lot longer to notice a ramp, and was usually 20%+ out while exercising.

(was fine for non-active times)

I have a Fenix 3, with optical HR.

I find it good for running, but not so good where there is forearm/wrist muscle action (not just arm swing), like cycling and indoor rower.  Those are a little patchy. 

26 minutes ago, zed said:

But I don't think I'm wanting to give up on a GPS watch for running quite just yet. There are times when I'm running much quicker than I think I am and vice versa. I think in general I have a relatively good idea, but there are times, when things go a bit whacko, especially first few kms off the bike.

Being soley dependent on it is where it becomes detrimental IMO.  

I use HRM in the past and still have one.  Never a GPS.  Use very rarely now just to check a few things but have learnt what it feels like.  

49 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Being soley dependent on it is where it becomes detrimental IMO.  

I use HRM in the past and still have one.  Never a GPS.  Use very rarely now just to check a few things but have learnt what it feels like.  

And these tools allow you to do that much faster and easier, or at least the basic features do.  Use power/pace/heart rate to calibrate RPE.  RPE is a shocking guide for the less experienced athlete.

Relying on any one thing is detrimental and I don't think there's many on here that would disagree with that statement of the bleeding obvious.

13 minutes ago, Stikman said:

And these tools allow you to do that much faster and easier, or at least the basic features do.  Use power/pace/heart rate to calibrate RPE.  RPE is a shocking guide for the less experienced athlete.

Relying on any one thing is detrimental and I don't think there's many on here that would disagree with that statement of the bleeding obvious.

So it that case we should strap stuff on kids and tell them to run at this pace no faster no slower and see how much the enjoyment factor disappears.  

Run for free and for fun first

4 hours ago, asmithaxe said:

Can anyone who has one of these comment on:

(1) Reliability of HR measurements. I like the idea of being able to check my HR periodically during a run without having to wear a strap. I wouldn't expect to use it (myself) for continually monitoring HR, just every 5 minutes or so.

(2) Build quality. Does the plastic build make it more susceptible to breakage?

Have a read of DC Rainmakers thoughts on the HR accuracy.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/garmin-forerunner-935-depth-review.html#heart-rate-sensor-accuracy

Before we move on to the test results, note that optical HR sensor accuracy is rather varied from individual to individual.  Aspects such as skin color, hair density, and position can impact accuracy.  Position and how the band is worn are *the most important* pieces.  A unit with an optical HR sensor should be snug.  It doesn’t need to leave marks, but you shouldn’t be able to slide a finger under the band (at least during workouts).