Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roxii

Amberger and Wilson's new venture

40 posts in this topic

A bit of a plug for the boys since, especially Josh, has been pretty Neogene and honest with the forum of late. 

There latest joint venture is their own coffee called SKULLDUGGERY COFFEE

The website is a bit of fun, check it out here:

https://www.skullduggerycoffee.com/

Im not a coffee drinker so cant comment on the coffee itself but good to see the boys doing something they enjoy outside the sport. 

1 person likes this

Have already placed an order (which was dispatched yesterday)........ awaiting product to arrive with anticipation.

I'm sure Hey_Burgs won't mind but I asked directly for a tranny's discount, for which he kindly obliged.

tenfortranny  at the checkout :thumbup1:

1 person likes this

Good work mate, Burgs mentioned on Insta that someone had placed an order and was waiting to see if the Tranny discount got posted. 

As you know I don't do coffee so please give some feedback when you have given it a whirl. 

1 person likes this

Thanks for the shoutout. It might seem like a bit of a gag if you've read the website, but we're pedantic about doing what we do well. We figured we spend most out time when not training obsessing over coffee, so we're trying to share our passion with anyone who's interested in a good cuppa. I'm roasting on a Quest M3, and Wilson on an Aillio Bullet. Happy to answer any questions or give advice for anyone interested in trying it. Here's my home setup for now! 

qn4pkm.jpg

3 people like this

Which one do you recommend for nightduty burgs?

Burgs should promote via a coffee cart at Port during race week.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Bloody brilliant idea. 

#likethekonacoffeeboatbutozzie 

7 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

22 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Bloody brilliant idea. 

#likethekonacoffeeboatbutozzie 

A tinnie near the weir.

1 person likes this

Coffee is a diuretic though and we know he already has issues with holding it in at Port....

1 person likes this

On 28/03/2017 at 9:52 AM, pieman said:

Coffee is a diuretic though and we know he already has issues with holding it in at Port....

Thanks for the expert analysis

On 27/03/2017 at 8:35 PM, James said:

Which one do you recommend for nightduty burgs?

Bifdu Gudina is tasting exceptionally good for filter brewing, and Maria Rosa for espresso! What's your setup for nightshift? 

On 27/03/2017 at 11:12 PM, IronmanFoz said:

It has been mooted, thought Port is much too far away to be convenient. We might be able to get a stand for Luke Harrop/ITU Gold Coast forthcoming, but a pop-up brew stand will happen at some point in time. Then cometh the brewery... 

Talking about coffee, I wonder what ever happened to Trannie "Dan the Man" ?  I haven't heard from him in years. 

FM

Nectar from the gods has arrived. 

Sampling two different origins, Colombia and Ethiopia....... Colombia gets the nod first up this morning.

Yes there will be some tweaking of my machine .... always is with a new bean (and to be expected). May take a few go's to sort it out.

So first things first .... Cargo arrives quick, express post and bubble wrapped .:thumbsup:

Initial opening of the packets ..... Ethiopia wins hands down in the aroma stakes, thought Miss Columbia could have tried harder :confused1:  however the olfactory senses are generously rewarded once she was put through the burr grinder. Beans were on the smaller side and not overly dark.

Bit of experimenting to do with these ones but Columbia's first extraction was not disappointing..... good (but not great - this will get better once I've sorted some variables on my end). Flavours and acidity seemed balanced and the palate wasn't attacked by over zealous bitterness. First cab of the rank is definitely worth sticking with to see if I can improve on getting the best out of ye ol beans.

Thanks guys and I'll be back with when Ethiopia hits the grinder.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, hey_burgs said:

Thanks for the expert analysis

1 hour ago, hey_burgs said:

It has been mooted, thought Port is much too far away to be convenient. We might be able to get a stand for Luke Harrop/ITU Gold Coast forthcoming, but a pop-up brew stand will happen at some point in time. Then cometh the brewery... 

Stuff the coffee. Let me know when the brewery starts up.

1 person likes this

On 29/03/2017 at 6:55 PM, nuked said:

Nectar from the gods has arrived. 

Thanks for the feedback! If you like the Bifdu aroma you'll love the Guji. That's if you have an appreciation for unwashed coffees, some people just don't like 'em. What kind of machine & grinder are you running? Curious to know what our customers are using. Would you ever consider trying them through filter means as well? 

We picked these coffees because they're all bangin' really. We'll keep some other in rotation at more limited quantities, but for now we'll have the Bifdu and Guji on offer for a while. We'll get another Ethiopian washed & Kenyan washed in the coming weeks when I get back from South Africa. 

2 people like this

Good work guys!

My older brother once was in a heavy metal called Skulldugory (gory as in blood.... get it!). 

Hope your coffee brand is more successful  

11 hours ago, hey_burgs said:

Thanks for the feedback! If you like the Bifdu aroma you'll love the Guji. That's if you have an appreciation for unwashed coffees, some people just don't like 'em 

So I wasn't sure how to put this (so I left it out of the spiel), but yes, there is a definitely 'earthiness' to the aroma and taste. In my red wine appreciation days we would have described it as "sous bois" or forest floor. 

Also of inconsequential note, the sound of the bean as it goes through the grinder is coarse, like notably different from the other boutique roasteries I've used.... of no real concern but just interesting. Any thoughts Josh????  

in a nutshell, in laymans terms for the punters... 

The coffee was good? 

2 minutes ago, willie said:

The coffee was good? 

yes

edit: but where is the fun in just saying "the coffee is good, buy it" :lol:

Edited by nuked
add stuff

2 hours ago, willie said:

The coffee was good? 

good coffee is like good wine to those who appreciate it. there are all sort of ways of saying it is good and sounding flash

I appreciate good coffee, but I only have 5 (6) ratings.

1. ****ing quality mate

2. yeah nah, not bad mate

3. yeah, twas drinkable

4. Mate, this is shit

5. ****ing poo stew mate

6. Blend 43, I'm out field living on rats - ****

My favorite kind of coffee. Lol

10 hours ago, nuked said:

So I wasn't sure how to put this (so I left it out of the spiel), but yes, there is a definitely 'earthiness' to the aroma and taste. In my red wine appreciation days we would have described it as "sous bois" or forest floor. 

Also of inconsequential note, the sound of the bean as it goes through the grinder is coarse, like notably different from the other boutique roasteries I've used.... of no real concern but just interesting. Any thoughts Josh????  

Yeah so we roast our coffee rather light. It's still developed, but probably not as developed as the coffee that you've used that is seemingly more 'smooth' through the grinder. When you roast the coffee light, the bean retains much more moisture, and also more of it's naturally developed flavors through retention of occurring glucose, lipids etc (the basics compounds of coffee). The deeper the coffee goes into the roast, the more those compounds break down, and the more fragile (in a sense) the bean becomes. So the darker the roast goes, the more the bean carbonises. That's the difference you're hearing there. We're basically roasting to our taste, so I hope that our interests are aligned, and it's tasting as good for you as it is for us! 

Regarding the earthiness, that's in some ways the romance of specialty coffee, as well as wine seeing that you mentioned it. The idea is to taste and experience the sun and the soils, the moisture and the care that was poured into the coffee from a single plot of land in a far off country. Every coffee is different and has a unique flavour profile to offer us. 

2 people like this