MackaEvo2

Airline sports equipment

23 posts in this topic

So I have noticed Tiger now charges $35 at the time of booking and then $45 if its after the time you booked for a sports equipment fee. They also limit the weight to 20kg

Every kg over the 20kg of your bike bag is 20-25$ depending on length of flight

Jetstar charge $25 for sports equipment however this doesn't include any weight. This is just a handling fee which you add to you checked in luggage.

This has made flying to domestic races far more expensive in my opinion.

Virgin as far as I can tell don't charge you for a sports equipment fee however charge per 23kg which means you will probably need to limit your bike and bike bag to 23kg and then put your shoes, bottles etc in another bag and pay $35 for the second bag.

Qantas appear to be the same as virgin however

each airline appears to have different dimensions for the size of the bag so would also check this

$75US for domestic flights in the USA with some airlines.

Jetstar charge $25 for sports equipment however this doesn't include any weight. This is just a handling fee which you add to you checked in luggage.

This has made flying to domestic races far more expensive in my opinion.

I wold spend more on coffee & donuts.

Is his all just new? I've only ever paid for extra baggage weight with Jetstar or booked an extra bag with virgin..

I have an IronCase bike box that weighs 14kg, and I get my bike, wetsuit and helmet in it, although without the pedals and frame pump, and stay within 23kg. The rest, including bike and run shoes, goes in my carryon - I can keep that to 7kg (Air NZ's limit) if I have to, but I usually go to 8 or 9 kg, with plan B to stuff pedals and other small heavy stuff in my pockets if I have to. Never had to do that though.

I spent over $300 us between sydney and kona return.

Never had an issue with virgin being under 23kg with helmet and bottles in the bag. But I always have a second bag anyway. Do people take all their clothes and race stuff in their bike bag??

We usually have two bike bags that are always very close to 32kgs

Thena another bag with nutrition etc that goes around 20-22kgs then a clothes bag of 15-20kgs

it's about $400 return to Kona

These extra charges will just add to this

In the past I would just purchase the tickets and add the baggage later

The prices would be the same unless you purchased the baggage at the airport

This has also changed. If you purchase the baggage after you have purchased the ticket... Even if its the next day and the flight isn't for 6 months they charge you for that change

Why not just book at the time of booking your ticket? It's not like there's a chance you won't need it.

Flying Qantas to Hawaii a few weeks ago our allowance was 2 x 23kg bags, one was the bike and another was my suitcase. No issues and no extra charges for all legs of the trip.

Edited by Rog

Yeah, what Rog said.

It's not complicated.

I got stung $600 flying Emrites flying to Roth in 2015 . Bike about 20kg. clothes about 16kg. no sporting good allowance. :shy::shy::shy:

You guys seriously book flights without checking allowance beforehand? If the purpose of your trip is to bring a bike/sporting equipment you would surely send some emails and make a call..

I have found that the expensive/good airlines don't charge extra as long as you let them know you are bringing a bike beforehand.

Obviously the cheap airlines (RyanAir, Virgin etc.) need to make profits on all fronts as they are selling their seats cheaper. It's the same reason you will get unlimited food/drinks on a Qantas flight but have to pay $9 for a glass of water on the cheaper airlines.

When I was living in Europe I found it was cheaper to buy an 'expensive' airline ticket (Alitalia etc.) where I had baggage included and could bring a bike, than to buy a cheap ticket with RyanAir and have to end up paying even more than the expensive ticket once I factored all the additional costs in.

Im flying Jetstar to HNL and then Island air to Kona in May / June. Ive paid for an extra piece of baggage so total of 40kgs with JQ and my GF gets 20kg (standard). Island air is $35 each way from HNL to Kona, so all up its under $200

Hawaiin air don't let you book a bike in advance.

1 person likes this

I got stung $600 flying Emrites flying to Roth in 2015 . Bike about 20kg. clothes about 16kg. no sporting good allowance. :shy::shy::shy:

I was given a ticket as a present. it was that fact I was only allowed one piece of luggage. I had to have enough clothing for a month away in Europe. I see it as like Melbourne weather. I need all 4 seasons.

Edited by Chuckie M

Semi related to topic - any advice on a bike box vs bike bag? I'll be getting one soon for domestic and international travel

Just smile and be nice to the staff serving you at the counter when it comes to excess, nine times out of ten they waive it in my experience. Really helps too if the clown in front of you goes of deluxe...... you start the conversation with are you ok and it all magically gets waived.....

As for box v bag....... if it rains, box can be a bummer..... especially in our tropical north and if the baggage hands walk off with an electrical storm. If you can afford it, bag...... though boxes are as cheap as chips.

I just pay the extra $35 with Qantas, but use my points as they are not much good for anything else these days. That gives me 2 bags and 46kg. If you can't keep your bike bag under 23kg then you need to change some things. The bike only weighs about 8kg.

Im flying Jetstar to HNL and then Island air to Kona in May / June. Ive paid for an extra piece of baggage so total of 40kgs with JQ and my GF gets 20kg (standard). Island air is $35 each way from HNL to Kona, so all up its under $200

Add $100 US both ways for hawaian for your bike

Edit to add

This is for peak times EG IM time

I think it's $35 US each way other times and $25 for any other bag unless it's over 20kgs

U pretty much get no carry on on hawaian also , just a handbag size bag

Edited by ironpo

Add $100 US both ways for hawaian for your bike

Edit to add

This is for peak times EG IM time

I think it's $35 US each way other times and $25 for any other bag unless it's over 20kgs

U pretty much get no carry on on hawaian also , just a handbag size bag

USD100? Im not flying hawaiian?

USD100? Im not flying hawaiian?

U gotta fly hawaian to get to and from the big island

Edit

Sorry just seen u flying island air

Edited by ironpo
1 person likes this

Semi related to topic - any advice on a bike box vs bike bag? I'll be getting one soon for domestic and international travel

My opinion is Bike Box - the proper ones, not a cardboard one. I use the hard Scicon Evolution I think it is.

They are heavier but you know your bike wont get damaged despite some handlers best efforts. Every time I travel, I seem to see at least 1 bike in a bag smashed off its mount or something is not right, or a disintegrated cardboard box. A grose waste of training and money to turn up and not be able to compete due to damage.

My opinion is Bike Box - the proper ones, not a cardboard one. I use the hard Scicon Evolution I think it is.

They are heavier but you know your bike wont get damaged despite some handlers best efforts. Every time I travel, I seem to see at least 1 bike in a bag smashed off its mount or something is not right, or a disintegrated cardboard box. A grose waste of training and money to turn up and not be able to compete due to damage.

What's it weight ?

Flew Jetstar in the past week to Sunshine Coast from Melbourne return and purchased 25kg baggage allowance which I used for my bike, did not have to pay anything extra for sporting equipment and had no issues.